Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
I mainly use my current AppleTV to stream movies and tv shows I've converted.

Nothing really been said or seen of the interface for this part. Anyone seen any screenshots.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Reactions: HelixOmnimedia

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Looks like I'll be waiting for Plex to officially announce an AppleTV app.

The one thing I seriously dislike is how your personal movies and tv shows are just thrown into a folder in a list view which is THE WORST way to view ANY content on the AppleTV.

It is one of the few things I can think of that I completely disagree with Apple on.

bmwellsokstate

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2015
Oklahoma
Looks like I'll be waiting for Plex to officially announce an AppleTV app.

The one thing I seriously dislike is how your personal movies and tv shows are just thrown into a folder in a list view which is THE WORST way to view ANY content on the AppleTV.

It is one of the few things I can think of that I completely disagree with Apple on.
Agreed. It would be nice to have a huge list of movie art to flip through (much like iTunes.) Then you could visibly see the movie you are wanting to watch 3 rows down and quickly swipe to it.

Reactions: mmomega

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Maybe because the new device will do a better job at it???

Well it doesn't have gigabit ethernet, so that won't help. The 802.11ac wifi might be faster than the 100BT ethernet I am currently using. And the device might perform a little faster because of the new processor.

Even if it does, I can't imagine that these incremental improvements would justify me spending $300 to replace my two AppleTVs when I just don't care about new features like the app store or games. I also really dislike Siri so that's not a selling point, and I'm happy with the old style remote.

I'm sure the new AppleTV will be a nice upgrade for many people. Just not me. ;)

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Well it doesn't have gigabit ethernet, so that won't help. The 802.11ac wifi might be faster than the 100BT ethernet I am currently using. And the device might perform a little faster because of the new processor.

Even if it does, I can't imagine that these incremental improvements would justify me spending $300 to replace my two AppleTVs when I just don't care about new features like the app store or games. I also really dislike Siri so that's not a selling point, and I'm happy with the old style remote.

I'm sure the new AppleTV will be a nice upgrade for many people. Just not me. ;)

It is very illogical to form such opinions without even testing the nATV. You have no basis for such opinions like: "... the device might perform a little faster because of the new processor...."

"...The 802.11ac wifi might be faster than the 100BT ethernet I am currently using...."

With so little information given, I think you may want to try it out for yourself to see if your opinions were confirmed.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
With so little information given, I think you may want to try it out for yourself to see if your opinions were confirmed.

I am simply not interested in spending $150 for another Apple TV no matter how wonderful it is. Seems perfectly logical to me. Apple comes out with new computers and phones every year and I don't try all of those either. ;)

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I am simply not interested in spending $150 for another Apple TV no matter how wonderful it is. Seems perfectly logical to me. Apple comes out with new computers and phones every year and I don't try all of those either. ;)

Uh... The first part of this last post was all you needed to say.

Unlike the phones, computers and tablets the Apple TV has not received "incremental improvements". Hope you continue to be please with your current Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.