5.0.1 Bug? Full Charge Alert

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rstark18, Oct 4, 2018.

1. za9ra22 macrumors 6502a

I switched out my original charging puck for the one that came with the S4, and instead of using it on a charging stand I have, left it flat on the bedside table - no repeat of the frequent 100% charged alerts.

It could therefore be that the angle of the charging stand meant the S4 didn't sit properly in the original puck, or that the original puck isn't quite the same shape and therefore the S4 didn't fit it correctly. In either case, it could also be exacerbated by something in watchOS 5.0.1 that caused a possibly intermittent connection between the puck and watch to report 100% charge multiple times.

Logically, it should not really be an issue with the puck, because Apple make no differential between old and new, and I'd think they would really have to if they were not the same.

Also, while this may not mean anything, yesterday, after 1 hour off-charge the watch was down to 95%, and dropped to 93 by 90 minutes, while today, it is still at 100.

2. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does it only give the charge status and ding after it has reached 100% charge? You would think if it was a connection problem then it would do the same before it hit 100%.

3. za9ra22 macrumors 6502a

It reported 100% charge each time. What I also find curious is that as far as I recall, my various Apple watches have previously never reported 100% charge when they have reached that state previously, let alone repeatedly as my S4 did.

4. xnatex macrumors member

I’m also having this problem. It dings the second I put it on the charger (normal) and then once it hits 100% it dings once every 30 seconds - 5 mins or so. Over and over. It looks exactly like the video that was posted in this thread, though mine isn’t quite as frequent. My watch does feel slightly warm on the back.

I don’t have any fancy stands. Just the regular charging puck that came with my 42mm non-cellular S3. I’ve been charging it the same way since I got it almost a year ago — I stick it on the charger before bed and grab it in the morning. I’ve never had this problem until I updated to 5.0.1. As a side note, I never ran 5.0 on it. I waited a bit before updating.

5. Knight3 macrumors regular

You couldn't be more wrong. Just because you use a metaphor doesn't make you more credible.

6. Der Keyser macrumors regular

Der Keyser

My AW4 Cellular also shows this issue after 5.0.1
    Since apple pulled 5.1 well have to wait and see if it fixes the issue

7. n00bz0rd2 macrumors member

On my AW3 I had this issue as well. Updated to 5.1 last night before it was pulled and I *think* the problem is still there.
    When I spoke to Apple support, they didn’t acknowledge that there was an issue and after sending the watch in for diagnostics, they sent it back saying they couldn’t see any issues.

I’ll try a full reset again and see what happens.

8. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

We had very different support experiences. They never asked me to send it in. They did want to log files and the from it which I gave them and the video of it happening. The tech I was working with said he had many cases he was working with that were having this issue and that it was software issue not hardware.

9. n00bz0rd2 macrumors member

So I can definitely confirm the problem still exists in watchOS 5.1. Had multiple dings throughout last night!

10. Azathoth123 macrumors 6502

I’ve never heard a ding. S3 then S4, S4 is on 5.0.1

11. Mikeeee macrumors 6502

Mikeeee

Same. I've charged in Nightstand Mode and regular mode. Never heard a ding when 100% in either Series 3 or Series 4. Currently 5.01. I would prefer to hear a ding at 100% though.

12. n00bz0rd2 macrumors member

I've contacted Apple support again and they are investigating the issue. Waiting to hear back later this week.

13. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I have an S3 Sport and an S4 Stainless. I only get the 100% green ring and ding on the S4 both running the latest Watch OS.

My charging stand is the Twelve South Forte, and I'm using the puck that came with my old Series 0 watch.

14. Brandy1983 macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Jan 27, 2019 ---
    Yes my husbands does but we use the same charger and mine makes no sound his is clean just like mine we’ve done everything I want to scream and throw his watch out the window

15. xnatex macrumors member

Mine still does it as well. It all started when I updated to watchOS 5.

I opened a ticket with them about this at https://bugreport.apple.com on October 31, 2018. They closed it as a duplicate of another issue and are incredibly slow to respond. The latest watchOS update a few days ago didn't help, and factory resetting it didn't help either.

16. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My suggestion is to call Apple and start a case. That's what I did and they were very responsive. In the weeks I was working with them I ended up getting a new watch. Everything from my old watch transferred over but I didn't have the issue.
    When opening the case with Apple make sure you have a video of the issue.

17. cheezypuffs macrumors newbie

I have this same issue. Been dealing with Apple support for about a month now. The amount of time I've wasted on this I could've just bought a series 4 watch and been done with it.
    Engineering is saying to bear with them, as it's a software issue. Didn't believe that until I started reading some forums. Pretty disappointed that Apple has known about this for months, but never communicated any of this with me when being escalated / sent in for repair etc, and also that they still have not resolved the issue.

Do we even know what implications this may or may not have to the longevity of the battery? Could it potentially be causing any damage or increased wear on the battery?

18. cheezypuffs macrumors newbie

Also I'm confused by how this is solely a software problem- yet with millions and millions of people using the same exact software, only some people are affected. There must be some hardware differences in some models that are being affected. Maybe a bad batch of "x". Or these components that are fine were made by "x" company and the affected were made by "y" company. I just can't wrap my brain around it any other way.

19. xnatex macrumors member

Not sure. But I can tell you that I did not have this issue until the day I upgraded to watchOS 5.

20. cheezypuffs macrumors newbie

Then perhaps the update changed something that didn’t agree 100% with all the hardware in your watch. Perhaps a specific manufacturer of a component or some other difference.
    Regardless, if it were purely software we’d see millions of others with this same issue. Something is different, physically, with the watches that have the problem. There’s no other explanation, in my opinion.

21. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The strange part is this is happening on both 3rd and 4th gen watches.