Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
5,1 user here. I've been wanting to ask this for a long time, but i get lazy to ask this. Apparently, when i turn on my mac pro there is some werid noise (not buzzing or anything like that) as if it's getting ready to open the drive. It automatically opens the optic drive before osx loads. Why is that?

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
Wild guess, but I'll bet your drive is broken. Years ago, I had this problem where I'm guessing the drive sensed an unreadable CD in the drive. When I booted the computer, it spit out the optic tray. If I tried to load a CD, it would try to read then spit it out. I presume your optic drive works OK otherwise, but I still suspect hardware.

I've read that you can program a workflow to automatically spit out a CD on launch, but I would think you would know if you've done that. Just my 2c worth.

Be well.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
Wild guess, but I'll bet your drive is broken. Years ago, I had this problem where I'm guessing the drive sensed an unreadable CD in the drive. When I booted the computer, it spit out the optic tray. If I tried to load a CD, it would try to read then spit it out. I presume your optic drive works OK otherwise, but I still suspect hardware.

I've read that you can program a workflow to automatically spit out a CD on launch, but I would think you would know if you've done that. Just my 2c worth.

Be well.
the drive as i can install cd apps...but it opens at random time while in process of loading up osx.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
the drive as i can install cd apps...but it opens at random time while in process of loading up osx.

I can confirm this behavior on a true 2010 / 5,1 attempting to cold boot to a 512GB apple SSBUX in slot #3 and a rx480 in slot 1. No issues with the DVD drive as well. No issue booting from a SSUAX.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
So what is causing this?
I can confirm this behavior on a true 2010 / 5,1 attempting to cold boot to a 512GB apple SSBUX in slot #3 and a rx480 in slot 1. No issues with the DVD drive as well. No issue booting from a SSUAX.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
Did you try another DVD/BluRay-Drive? Same behavior?
I don't have another drive. So it's hard to say. Whenever i turn it on, it makes that "cd being read" sound and takes awhile to get onto os x.
[doublepost=1505074051][/doublepost]
Hard drive issue then? I have ssd 850.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
This is generally caused when the EFI or OS X detects media in the drive, but is in an unrecognized format. It is normal behavior. If the drive had no media in it, do you still see this? Also hold a mouse or trackpad button during boot will cause this.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
This is generally caused when the EFI or OS X detects media in the drive, but is in an unrecognized format. It is normal behavior. If the drive had no media in it, do you still see this? Also hold a mouse or trackpad button during boot will cause this.
You know what? I'll try that! Maybe it's normal. I haven't held the mouse or track pad and it does that at times....that "reading the cd' sound effect and it pops it open.....

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
You get this often with wireless keyboards. Are you using one with an RF dongle or have a graphics tablet attached. Sometimes these fool the MP into thinking a mouse key is depressed on bootup.

Reactions: pat500000

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
You get this often with wireless keyboards. Are you using one with an RF dongle or have a graphics tablet attached. Sometimes these fool the MP into thinking a mouse key is depressed on bootup.
logitech mx master wireless mouse. Really? Hmm..huh who would have guessed?

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
logitech mx master wireless mouse. Really? Hmm..huh who would have guessed?

I had this regularly when setting up a PowerMac G5 with a generic WF keyboard. It always spat out the optical drive on bootup until I replaced the keyboard with a wired Apple Pro one. Same issue with both of my Mac Pros.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
I had this regularly when setting up a PowerMac G5 with a generic WF keyboard. It always spat out the optical drive on bootup until I replaced the keyboard with a wired Apple Pro one. Same issue with both of my Mac Pros.
Use regular mouse then huh?

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Wireless both and after. Oddly enough, it was something about the RF keyboard the PM didn't like. I use a wireless MS Arc mouse with one of my Mac Pros and it keeps its mouth shut when booting up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.