Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
anything bigger than a 5/5s is just stupid for a phone

i don't understand it & wish apple didn't give in to it, i don't even like the would be 4.7in i6

I agree. Even the current 5S I can see people using it with one hand, actually jumbling it to move around to get to the top corners or bottom corners of the screen. It's not held steady maneuvering around the screen. Myself I usually end up cradling it on the tips of my four fingers to get to the corners and its a precarious way of handling the phone.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
What I don't understand is, what gives some weird people on these forums feel they have the right to dictate to others?

If I want a 4" phone, what would give me the right to tell others they can't have a 6" phone? Or the other way round come to that.

I realize the concept of "Choice" is haed to grasp for some weird Apple freaks, but I think it would be lovely if anyone could walk into an Apple store and select from a 4", 4.5" and 5.5" model of the phone.

Crazy concept I know.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Not sure why anyone would want to have a phone that big.

My 2 years of experience with a Note 2 and 3 qualifies me to answer this question.

Because I can and it doesn't matter what reason I give you! If you don't like me whipping out my 5.5 inches look the other way. I don't go saying; oh look, it's so small to you. People have different taste and one size does not fit all.

JohnPhamlore

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
It's completely unsubstantiated rumor asserted as fact

Look at the front page of this site for an example of what is simply wrong and misleading:

https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-6/

The blurb on the front page reads:

"The next iPhone is likely to come in larger sizes"

Note the use of the word sizes, the plural. Except there actually is ZERO evidence that the next iPhone will come in a 5.5 inch size. The use of the word sizes is simply bias.

All the rumors that say that Apple will try something different, from launching the iPhone 6 months early, are simply regurgitations of rumors that appear every year with the serial numbers filed off.

IF and I think that's a big IF Apple produces a 5.5 inch phone for early 2015 availability at the earliest, I see no way the phone isn't at least announced at the same event as the 4.7 inch iPhone. But if no such phone is announced, I sadly expect sites such as this to keep spreading rumors that just a few months later a 5.5 inch iPhone will magically appear and encourage waiting for nothing.

To repeat, if one simply follows one link at this site, the supposed 5.5 inch mockups are based on a claim they were for a 5.7 inch iPhone 6c. Does this make the slightest sense to anyone else?

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
OMG what a statement...SHUT UP and keep buying the iPhone 5 it will be available for years :rolleyes:

If you want to run around with a phone you cannot put reasonably / comfortably into a pocket be my guest. Shouting doesn't make it right either btw...
As long as they offer a smaller version they can make a honking 8.9' phone if they want to.

Last edited:

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
i look at people with these huge phones the same way i look at guys with those huge, lifted trucks. making up for something else not being huge :D:D:D

coldsweat

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
Grimsby, UK
On a side note....

The print seems to have lifted off the bed on the left hand side - someone needs a heated bed as the blue tape isn't cutting it!

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Go to Asia. This isn't a "US" thing. In asia (namely Taiwan) the note 2/3 is like a standard next to the iphone. I even see people strutting around with their note 8's all the time. And it's understandable, a bigger screen device is like carrying a computer with you everywhere. And people use it for everything but calls more often than not. Apple should just release a small flip phone for those who keep wanting smaller and smaller phones because clearly media consumption is not their primary usage.

Edit: I said namely only because I noticed it there, can't speak for the other asian countries.

People can already buy a basic flip phone + iPad for the use case you highlighted. Some of those old Nokia's were built like tanks and battery could last a week. Use iPad + LTE for any media consumption and on demand data needs.

henry2

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2010
It about having more than one choice in the size of the screen .so like it or hate it it all about the choice one has when it comes to buying a phone .

Me I would a screen size of the samsung mega 6.3"inch screen on a iPhone so to get rid of the tablet and the phone and have it all in one device :)

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Based on the comparison, I'm sure I'll appreciate it a little better when it does release. If I get a new iPhone this year, and two sizers are released, I'll probably have second thoughts and wish I had chosen the bigger/smaller when I had a chance.

I'm not going to sleep well through all these decisions. :(

itpromike

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
If you want to run around with a phone you cannot put reasonably / comfortably into a pocket be my guest. Shouting doesn't make it right either btw...
As long as they offer a smaller version they can make a honking 8.9' phone if they want to.

Apple will definitely be making a phone that can fit into a pocket... It will have a 4.7 inch screen as well. So we all win.... Unless you are referring to the pocket of a toddler or midget perhaps? All I know is in the offices where I consult, most of the male employees wear slim fit dress slacks and their 5" Android phones slip in and out of their pocket just fine, with no bulge or issue... So I'm not sure what type of pants you're referring to but they'd either have to be made of spandex or for a small child for a 4.7" phone not to fit.

Either that or your a fanboy wanker who was brainwashed by Apples defensive marketing and soap box tactics to ensure their customers don't become unsatisfied with the small sizes they currently offered because in their own words "customers want what we don't have". So now you'll need to be brainwashed again by new marketing and soap box rhetoric once the bigger phones are released as I'm sure they are going to tout it's design as the reason that their larger screened device can still be used with one hand and that they are the only ones who created a larger screened phone that can be used with one hand; despite the fact that their phone is going to be physically larger than Android phones of the same screen size.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Bezzle anyone?

IF Apple were to cut back on the size of those ridiculous top and bottom bezels, a rumored 5.5" iPhone has potential to be amazing.

If this model was to actually come to light, I can't imagine a huge hulking phone (that's already too tall for its screen to begin with), wasting approximately 1.5" of dead space in bezel height. This would be all bezel and barely any screen.

rodriguez256

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2014
San Antonio
Seams to be a lot of needless complaints. This is a rumor site for one and whatever you don't like you don't have to read. There are plenty of articles that I choose to ignore. And never once do I go to those pages and rant about it. To be honest I'm still a new member here, so I haven't posted much if at all. Thank you MacRumors for the site and postings.

DamnDJ

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2003
Baltimore
What I don't understand is, what gives some weird people on these forums feel they have the right to dictate to others?

Because everyone is so used to having Apple tell us what is good and what isn't. When provided with choices, we become deer in headlights which may cause panic and lashing out at others.

No, the 5.5 is not "too big". For you it may be uncomfortable, but for others it may be the perfect size. If you don't like it, there's the 4.7 that will be available. If that's still too big for you, then I am fairly certain the 4.0 will continue to exist in some form for years to come.

Get off the high horse of telling everyone what is and isn't suitable for human hands. I'll be the judge of my own needs, thank you very much. And thank you to Apple for realizing the market has changed and people are actually calling for larger handsets.

perealb

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2009
We publish mockups of the 4.7-inch version, people say "I want to see the 5.5-inch one...where's that?" So we publish mockups of the larger ones and people still aren't happy.
Well, those are different people than the ones who complaint the first time. It's hard to please everybody, specially when they are so divided. The solution would be if Apple released two sizes. Oh wait...

vsighi

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
San Diego, CA

I am not talking about just "the phone" ! I am talking about the smart device called iPhone 6, I do more with this device then just calling my mom...I am
6'1" tall and I do have a nice deep pocket for my upcoming iPhone 6 with a 5.5 inch screen.

NO ONE FORCE YOU TO UPGRADE, just stay low and small :cool:

----------

I agree. Even the current 5S I can see people using it with one hand, actually jumbling it to move around to get to the top corners or bottom corners of the screen. It's not held steady maneuvering around the screen. Myself I usually end up cradling it on the tips of my four fingers to get to the corners and its a precarious way of handling the phone.

hahahah :D you guys need to exchange some phone numbers :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.