5.5-Inch iPhone 6's A8 Processor May Be More Powerful Than in 4.7-Inch Model

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 4, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Cowen & Co. analyst Timothy Arcuri claims the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 will differ in more than just display size, reports AppleInsider. According to Arcuri's supply chain checks, the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 may include a more powerful processor and a different touch module than the 4.7-inch model.

[​IMG]
    A7 transistor die photo from Chipworks
    Details on the degree of processor difference between the two models were not provided, but the report suggests it may be more than a simple difference in clock speed as seen in the A7 used in the current iPads and iPhone 5s. The A7 in the iPad Air is clocked at 1.4 GHz, while the same chip in the Retina iPad mini and iPhone 5s is clocked at 1.3 GHz.

Arcuri suggests the processor in the faster 5.5-inch iPhone 6 may actually have a larger die than the version found in the 4.7-inch model. This architectural change may hint at an A8 processor with a different graphics processor or possibly a new process for the fabrication of the chip.

Besides two different processors, Arcuri also believes the two iPhone 6 models may ship with different touch modules, with TPK as the likely manufacturer.

Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone at a September event with the 4.7-inch model possibly arriving first and the 5.5-inch following up to several months later.

Article Link: 5.5-Inch iPhone 6's A8 Processor May Be More Powerful Than in 4.7-Inch Model

2. Mugambo macrumors 6502

Mugambo

Wow, I'm definitely gonna 'wait for it............'

3. HarryT, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014

HarryT macrumors 6502

HarryT

I doubt this. Why would Apple make two types of 'iPhone' under the same brand.

Edit: To clarify for those that are reading out of context. By two types of iPhone I mean different internals. iPhone 5s and 5C are not two types.. the iPhone 5C has the iPhone 5 internals which Apple invested greatly in R&D on this the previous year. This is a simple way to avoid changing production plants every cycle.

By trying to do 2 different manufacturing processes (i.e. two different chips) they would not only have to double their production facilities but also double testing for hardware and double testing on software bugs.

So please stop quoting me saying 5s and 5C.

4. Alphabetize macrumors 6502

Alphabetize

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

What's that, you say? The source is an analyst?

Okay, then.

6. Enabledobject macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

7. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Why do we assume its a same brand? 6X and 6Y are possibilities, the 5S and 5C happened at the same time

8. shly0718 macrumors member

shly0718

quad-core gpu?

quad-core gpu? :eek:
    can beat hd4000?

9. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

10. kkamann macrumors regular

kkamann

11. Getafe macrumors member

Getafe

Still waiting for the real proof of a 5.5 inch iPhone. This could easily of just been made up. They are using what Apple have done with the iPad Air & iPad Mini to make up something that COULD (and probably isn't) be true.

Even the apparent leaked parts of the 5.5 inch iPhone could be for another device.

Really hope there the larger phablet version does come, even though I am doubting it more and more as time goes by.

12. eddieaus macrumors regular

have you heard of iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C?

13. kolax macrumors G3

Hope not! I want to buy a phone based on screen size, and not be forced to use a bigger screen to get better performance.

14. auero macrumors 65816

A more power processor would make sense to compensate a higher resolution screen.

15. JohnnyDJunior macrumors regular

I smell a 6S 6C in the works..... 5.5 sounds awesome if it'll have better specs but it can't fit it my pants though.... Specs vs Comfortability

16. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

Hmm, this doesn't make sense. The iPad Air is a lot bigger than the Mini, but the Air didn't receive a bigger die.

There's a first for everything, but I would say this is unlikely.

17. vmachiel macrumors 68000

I hope that they don't do something like this. 4.7 is big enough for me (5.5 is way too big), but I do want the fasted processor so it can last me three years.

18. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Apple didn't create a new chip specifically for the 5C. The 5C uses the same chip as the 5.

19. Moto G macrumors 6502a

Here's what will happen:

If the 5.5" is fact and is released, all the rumours will be proven to have had substance to them, and the journos and "analysts" will be happy (and smug - you can count on smug).

If it isn't released this year, but comes a year (or a few) later, you watch and see how wordplay and spin is used to twist, manipulate and distort what they actually said, to fit into what eventually came to pass, to ENSURE that the people who predicted it would come THIS YEAR, don't "lose face" - they'll find a way to talk their way out of saying "okay, we are sorry and we got this one wrong", in favour of having them look like the amazing, profound and insightful people which they want to be seen as.

20. Taipan macrumors 6502

Damn it, this means I'll have to settle with a lower end model. :-(
    No amount of CPU power can make me buy a 5,5" phone.

21. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

22. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

I guess I can wait a few more weeks to get the top of the line iPhone 6 5.5" model.

23. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

KieranDotW

I'm okay if they do this so long as both sizes are announced at the same time.

24. prism macrumors 6502a

Ok lets do a roundup of the rumors on differences between the 4.7 & 5.5":

Different processors
    Different touch module
    Different glass material
    Different camera lens system

If all these turn out to be true, it will be a stretch to call both the iphone 6!