Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple is expected to release a revised iPod mini early next year, according to AppleInsider. The revised mini is reported to be moving to a 5 GB hard drive, up from the current 4, allowing it to hold approximately 1250 songs.
Like Dell's new Pocket DJ and Rio's Carbon, sources say the new Apple player will be based around a 5GB hard drive. Hitachi, which supplies Apple with drives for the current line of iPod minis, has yet to officially introduce a 5GB version of its microdrive, though similar offerings are reportedly available from both Seagate and Toshiba.

Capacity figures aside, not much more is known about the revised mini. Rumors of potential color alterations and more 'metallic' finishes are abound, but remain unconfirmed at this time.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
The iPod mini is so out of my league, it's funny. With my entire collection in Apple Lossless format, it will fit only on the 60 GB iPod Photo, which I don't own.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
A Little Late to the Game

5 GB has been out for a while now ... I hope they release a higher capacity iPod mini instead of a 5 GB. Going from 4 to 5, while a nice 25% increase isn't bad. Going to a 6 GB, or increasing by 50%, would make them competitive.

Apple is starting to lose ground on the mini market.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
nice,

good to keep the mini competitive

is a 5 gig the most capacity at that size?

one thought: this is going to piss off a lot of holiday shoppers hehe

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
I'm still hoping for a color screen. (Yeah yeah, not going to happen, but I can hope.) :)

When they do intro the new Mini, they're not JUST going to push it to 5 gigs. They're going to add features ... that's a given. AI just hasn't been given that info.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
wrldwzrd89 said:
The iPod mini is so out of my league, it's funny. With my entire collection in Apple Lossless format, it will fit only on the 60 GB iPod Photo, which I don't own.

60Gb of game music :eek:, i may be getting one as a present if true, hopefully it should go down in price a little and up the battery life to 12 hours.

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
I don't care for the photo function, but a color screen on the mini would be sweet. I know - it's just a gimmick, but after seeing the iPod Photo in the stores I fell in love with the color screen. :)

desdomg

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2003
Appleinsider have a very poor track record. Sounds like they are jealous of the traffic the recent iPod micro has been getting and decided to make up a few rumours of their own. MacRumors has turned into a news site, reporting other sites garbage from what I have seen over the past six months. The only site to have any real info is ThinkSecret, but it is a very very boring site to visit.... I guess you cant have interesting rumours AND factually correct news on the same site eh.

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
What would be amazing is not necessarily a color screen. But lets say a pink ipod gets a pink backlight....

Or the new click wheel (on both the ipod and mini) that has led's around the circle wheel. Imagine spinning your finger around and the led's follow.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Bleh.
I say 6 (or 8)GB, longer battery life, same price: Closes the gap between the 4GB mini and the smallest iPod at 20GB, AND makes room for a 1GB and/or 2GB iPod (flash) micro at $149 - $199. No color screen in the mini, at least not yet. First you'll have to see it in all of the regular iPod line-up.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
fudgebrown said:

Always gotta love those newbies who type one-word posts as fast as they can just to try and be the first post in a thread. Thanks for coming out. :cool:

Anyway, this will be a good move on Apple's part to keep up with the other "mini" players out there, and also to refresh the product line since we have not seen any updates to the mini since its initial release.

I would hope (and assume) though that there will be additional changes and updates than just a 1GB increase. Whether it be in the form of a price drop, extended battery life, or something else, I think Apple will need to do more to the mini to keep it as popular and competitive as it is.

bobringer

macrumors member
May 20, 2004
Split my sides

Over Achiever said:
5 GB has been out for a while now ... I hope they release a higher capacity iPod mini instead of a 5 GB. Going from 4 to 5, while a nice 25% increase isn't bad. Going to a 6 GB, or increasing by 50%, would make them competitive.

Apple is starting to lose ground on the mini market.

Surely you jest...

That's the funniest thing I've heard all month! 92% of the HD based player market... sure looks like they are losing ground quick!

Going to 6GB would make them competitive? Uh, with what? The other 8% of the market that they don't already own... 8% of the market that bought some piece of crap because they hate Apple so much.

Ha ha ha. We're really falling behind... I can't believe we don't have at least 96% of the market.

powermac666 said:
Bleh.
I say 6 (or 8)GB, longer battery life, same price: Closes the gap between the 4GB mini and the smallest iPod at 20GB, AND makes room for a 1GB and/or 2GB iPod (flash) micro at $149 - $199. No color screen in the mini, at least not yet. First you'll have to see it in all of the regular iPod line-up.

yeah i second that!!!

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
AmigoMac said:
Do not forget the RDF :D

it will be a 25% increase in one year!! :eek:

I love the RDF from Steve while onstage but when it comes to the time for me to put my money out the RDF has worn off. Although for many consumers this is not true thus the power of advertising.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
bobringer said:
Surely you jest...

That's the funniest thing I've heard all month! 92% of the HD based player market... sure looks like they are losing ground quick!

Going to 6GB would make them competitive? Uh, with what? The other 8% of the market that they don't already own... 8% of the market that bought some piece of crap because they hate Apple so much.

Ha ha ha. We're really falling behind... I can't believe we don't have at least 96% of the market.

Maybe Over Achiever just purchased his brand new Dull Pocket DJ. ;) :) Thus Apple is loosing ground. :: sarcastic ::

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.