5 reasons to HOLD off on the iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blaunerts, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Blaunerts macrumors regular

Blaunerts

I don't know if this has been posted or not but I think its a load of crap and wanted to post it...:rolleyes:

*I am not an iPhone hater, I am getting the iPhone 3G July 11th* :)

(Heres the official link)
    5 reasons to hold off on the iPhone 3G
    Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:07AM EDT

Buzz up!
    on Yahoo!
    Yes, I'm one of those guys who wait in line the day a shiny new gadget goes on sale, and the iPhone 3G is one of the shiniest gadgets of all. But while I'll be out there waiting in the wee hours of July 11 (it's my job, after all), the rest of you should think twice before losing sleep on launch day. Here's why.

1. Shortages are unlikely
    Remember last year, when we all got in line early for the iPhone because we were afraid it would sell out? Well, that didn't quite happen. Yes, individual AT&T stores sold out quickly, but many Apple stores had plenty of iPhones in stock in the days and weeks after the big day. (Indeed, there weren’t any serious iPhone 1.0 shortages until just recently.) Also, word of hundreds of massive overseas shipments bound for Apple (which began arriving as early as March) leads me to believe that there's a healthy supply of iPhone 3Gs on hand. So if you're worrying about a Wii-like shortage of the iPhone 3G, well ... I wouldn't.

2. Chaos on Day One
    Unlike last year, customers won't be able to activate their new iPhones over iTunes—instead, clerks will have to activate them in the store, contracts will have to be signed on the spot, and new AT&T subscribers will have to undergo credit checks. It could take a good 10-15 minutes per customer—and that's if things go smoothly. It'll be a new process for everyone—especially for Apple Store employees, who aren't accustomed to processing cell phone contracts—so I'm anticipating (dreading, actually) a train wreck next Friday. Even if you're dying to lay hands on the iPhone 3G, you might want to wait a week or so until they get the kinks worked out.

3. 32GB iPhone 3G on the horizon
    I was keenly disappointed when Steve Jobs didn't unveil a 32GB iPhone last month—indeed, all we got were 8GB and 16GB versions, and I'd personally like an iPhone that I could cram with as much music and video as I can stand. Here's the thing, though—a 32GB iPhone 3G is probably coming within the next six months, if not sooner (well, that's my guess). If I wasn't buying the 16GB iPhone 3G for Yahoo! Tech, I'd probably sit tight and wait for the 32GB version to arrive.

4. Best new iPhone features are coming to the original iPhone
    Yes, the iPhone 3G will be getting GPS and, of course, 3G—but for now, you can't download music tracks over AT&T's 3G network or access AT&T's streaming video service. For me, the most exciting thing about the new iPhone is the upcoming App Store, which will be stocked with scores of 3D games, chat clients, productivity apps, RSS readers, you name it—and the App Store will be available July 11 as a free upgrade to the old iPhone. That'll keep you busy till the 32GB iPhone comes out.

5. The HTC Touch Diamond
    I've seen the future of cell phones, folks, and it's called the HTC Touch Diamond. With its gorgeous VGA screen, beautiful touch-screen interface, and compact, light-weight shell, the Diamond is the first phone to make me green-eyed with envy since … well, since the original iPhone. The Diamond is set to arrive in the U.S. in September, and spy shots of a Sprint-branded Touch Diamond are already circulating on the Web. You might want to give the Diamond a serious look before committing to a new two-year iPhone contract.

2. skierdb526 macrumors regular

i just saw that on the website. yeah... kinda BS. especially the last part.

3. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Why would you come into an iPhone forum and post this??!?!?!

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

1. Good. That means I can get one
    2. Part of the fun!
    3. Yeah, it sucks no 32GB, I don't see it until early 09.
    4. Don't want an original iPhone.
    5. Don't want Windows Mobile!

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The first two are nonsense, but the other three reasons are pretty good. Especially the one about the original iPhone getting the features.

6. Blaunerts thread starter macrumors regular

Blaunerts

If you READ the beginning of my thread it said "I think this is a load of crap!"
    and I posted it because "I felt like it" :rolleyes:

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Someone was paid to write that article, it's pretty obvious.

8. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Oh sorry i see anti iphone and im ready to call bush and tell him to launch the nukes

9. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

I do not need a 32 gig iphone. I barely use 3 gigs now!

10. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

I saw this too, its not really reasons not to buy the 3G iPhone, its basically "5 REASONS NOT TO BUY A 3G iPhone YET" there is nothing in this article that is telling you not to buy it, just telling you why not to buy it on launch day or so soon.

11. animenick65 macrumors 6502

I don't NEED 32gb, and the price for it wouldn't be too great. 16gb is a nice spot. Diamond is a promising phone, but its weakest point is that under the hood, it is still run by windows mobile.

12. D3lta macrumors 6502a

Reason number 1 is actually good for me, gives me a better chance of getting an iPhone.

All the other ones, I don't care about.

HTC Diamond... lol, Windows Mobile... yeah, right.:rolleyes:

13. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

I guess this is why Microsoft wants yahoo they are pretty much brothers!

14. Blaunerts thread starter macrumors regular

Blaunerts

Your right, I edited the title, thanks

15. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

no problem

16. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

32gb is a valid point, but point 4 and all threads related to this point really frustrates me.

Some of us haven't had the iPhone officially released in our country, remember?

17. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

18. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

1. yeah shortages are unlikely...they have the numbers from the last year of sales...and can predict increases in customers and transfers and such...they had none of that for the original iPhone.
    2. Like I care...Won't get it until the 12th at the earliest.
    3. My MP3 collection amounts to about 10GB...16GB will be plenty. 10GB includes a lot of albums I hardly ever listen to...so it would be even less.
    4. I've been using Edge for a while now...it is slow...I will love 3G. GPS will be nice over the cell tower location system I have now with Google Maps. Wifi will be great since a lot of the time I'm surfing on my phone while watching our big HDTV.
    5. This list smacks of a "wait for the HTC Diamond" list...not a don't get a 3G iPhone yet. Sounds like someone was paid to write it. The Diamond will be yet another iPhone clone to get a failing grade. Every company is rushing to get their clone out before or just after the new iPhone to try to compete. Posts like these are evidence that they are desperate to try to trick people into not getting an iPhone and trying to get them to buy a clone. Sorry too late...should have gotten your phone out sooner. I'm not buying marketing spin from companies desperate to compete with the iPhone. From looking at the phone all I can think of is:
    [​IMG]

The edges look sharp...eww...not to mention the screen is only slightly larger than my current phone. And looks a lot dimmer...
    [​IMG]

(if either of these images breaks just copy the shortcut in a new window to view...can't guarantee they don't have anti-hotlinking policy on these sites)

19. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

20. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

u and me both!

21. VideoShooter macrumors regular

I gotta say...

Stepping away most of these are valid for the first few days.

Number five is laughable.

I was originally planning to buy Friday. I've changed that.

I'm bummed no 32 GB version - or I'd wait in line Friday.

I'm bummed no tethering - or I'd wait in line Friday.

I'm bummed no improved camera - or I'd wait in line Friday.

As it is, the most exciting part of the new phone (for me) is the app store and a better speaker phone.

The real reason to upgrade to 3G for me is to see what apps are released and what is possible with the 3G speeds.

Don't get me wrong... I love my iPhone, I just wished there was a better reason to upgrade other than my addiction to Macrumors.

22. semi5 macrumors newbie

I have actually used the HTC Diamond and its a terrible device. While the screen is vga, the screen size is really really small. Even if the built in browser was any good (which it isn't), I couldn't imagine spending any quality time surfing with that small screen. Touch-flo is pretty, but launch an app and you are reminded of how ugly windows mobile really is. If the Diamond is "the future of cell phones" then I am going back to land-line only.

23. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

And did you see the back of the thing? It's all these angles that I guess are supposed to look like gem facets, but it just looks horrible and I don't see how it could lay flat. :confused:

24. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

The people behind the touch diamond better have figured out how to write a killer OS in less than a year.

25. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

umm am i the only person that has been using the built in RSS feature of safari on the iphone since day one?

If i felt like it i could nitpick away at this 5 reasons thing all night but i'd rather not