Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Wouldn't this be anything that involves color?

Cars, house paints interior/exterior, carpet, furniture, clothes, etc...

Why line a paint companies pockets just to change the color of your living room? Is that what you are saying?

Seems weird too me that you can't grasp that might be a big deal for someone. When you bought your iPhone when they asked you what color you wanted did you say "whichever..."?

The difference is somebody wouldn't presumably complain that said carpet or furniture company hasn't been innovating after supporting them

But to each his own I suppose.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
The 5C (if similar internals to the 5) will be a step down in quality (metal to plastic), but im guessing a step up to Apple's bottom line. As a shareholder this is great news as a consumer who wants quality workmanship and materials in my phone this is disappointing.

I would be ok with the 5C if the internals are slightly better than the 5. I mean a year old processor for a top tier price is disappointing, but I don't think the target customer won't notice this.

That said in the USA, I dont understand the rationale of someone who will only pay free-$99 for a phone, but then $2,000 plus on a 2 year contract. If you dont have the money for a phone I suggest the problem is the contract cost moreso than the upfront phone cost.

davenport-sr

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2013
5c-130903-2.jpg

Where's the iPhone 5S manual because this is boring.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Well, I'll be coming from an iPhone 4. Software updates have made this feel incrementally slower and slower, and the battery is to the point where I can barely make it through a day without charging the phone sometime at work.

I'll be buying my phone at full cost so it's unlocked and so I can keep my existing rate plan, which is much better than anything Fido/Rogers/Bell/Telus offers today.

Looking objectively at competition: I could buy a Nexus 4, unlocked, for $250. Not subsidized.

I'll be watching the announcements with great interest. Maybe the 5C is all I need.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Even if the specs are the same and the body is the only thing to change, maybe someone wants a colored phone? Calling someone a child for purchasing something they want is in fact childish.

Agreed. People have different needs and wants. This place would be much nicer if we all just accepted that fact.

davenport-sr

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2013
Well, I'll be coming from an iPhone 4. Software updates have made this feel incrementally slower and slower, and the battery is to the point where I can barely make it through a day without charging the phone sometime at work.

I'll be buying my phone at full cost so it's unlocked and so I can keep my existing rate plan, which is much better than anything Fido/Rogers/Bell/Telus offers today.

Looking objectively at competition: I could buy a Nexus 4, unlocked, for $250. Not subsidized.

I'll be watching the announcements with great interest. Maybe the 5C is all I need.
That's how my iPhone 5 is.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007

And it seems in this instance, a 5C would not be a childish route. :D

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
Yep.

This is MacRumors.

Not MacFacts.

:D

But I'm insulting people under the assumption that specs are the same and the body is the only thing hardly changed. It's a theoretical insult I suppose.

At the risk of asking a really obvious question; why insult people at all?

If someone fancies a 5C instead of their iPhone 5, that's up to them.

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
That said in the USA, I dont understand the rationale of someone who will only pay free-$99 for a phone, but then $2,000 plus on a 2 year contract. If you dont have the money for a phone I suggest the problem is the contract cost moreso than the upfront phone cost.

How don't you understand the rationale of not wanting to spend $100-200 more on something if you don't value what that extra money provides?

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Yep.

This is MacRumors.

Not MacFacts.

:D

But I'm insulting people under the assumption that specs are the same and the body is the only thing hardly changed. It's a theoretical insult I suppose.

What if someone preferred the colors of the plastic to the standard black/white aluminum that scratches and dents easily?

It's really REALLY inappropriate to insult people based off their opinions on something 100% subjective such as this.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
You don't have to buy a new model just because it is released. I'm happy with my "old" Ford GT. I'm not trading it in for a new Fiesta just because it's a new release.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
How don't you understand the rationale of not wanting to spend $100-200 more on something if you don't value what that extra money provides?

I understand the concept of saving money, but when you spend $2,000 on something I don't understand how an extra 5% ($99 to $199) makes that much of a difference?!? If the $100 is that much of a factor my point is that you probably can't afford it in the first place. Or just save a little bit more...

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Agreed. People have different needs and wants. This place would be much nicer if we all just accepted that fact.

My wife will be getting her first iPhone soon and she likes the fact that a pink one will potentially be available to her (pink is her favorite color). She isn't a spec head and couldn't careless about new bells and whistles.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
My wife will be getting her first iPhone soon and she likes the fact that a pink one will potentially be available to her (pink is her favorite color). She isn't a spec head and couldn't careless about new bells and whistles.

That's what most of American smartphone consumers are, irregardless of how vocal spec geeks are on forums ;)

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
Yes, Apple is childish

Apple is indeed childish. Putting out childlike color phones and re-releasing last years model iPhone 5. Pretty silly. Maybe Phil will come out in a baby carriage with a bib on and sucking a pacifier.:)

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
MacBook Air outsells the MacBook Pro
iPad Mini outsells the iPad
iPod Nano outsells the iPod Classic
iPhone 5C will outsell the 5S

Apple knows this

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.