5 year old "voted out of class" by classmates

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by furcalchick, May 25, 2008.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

just disgusting.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/may/24/30gtteacher-lets-students-vote-out-classmate-5/

reality tv has gotten way overboard, especially when you see things like this. i don't care what the child did, you NEVER encourage the other students to bully and ridicule him. especially at 5 years old. the teacher should be suspended for encouraging this type of emotional abuse.

2. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Yea .. that's pretty sad. If my child was in the class I would be asking to have him/her moved to another class. That teacher should be fired. She shouldn't be working with children.

3. pooky macrumors 6502

Can you imagine the things a bunch of 5-year-olds would say when asked why they didn't like him?

"He smells bad"

"He has poopy pants"

"He ate my crayon"

4. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

not just that, the kid also has aspergers syndrome

5. bartelby macrumors Core

I think the teacher watches too much reality tv...
    She should be fired.

6. Queso macrumors G4

Totally revolting. That teacher should be ashamed of themselves.

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Hey, you stole that line from Donald Trump! You're no better than she is.

8. bartelby macrumors Core

:confused:

I did?

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Sorry if that was a bit obtuse. The signature line from The Donald™ in his show the Apprentice is "You're Fired!" He's probably even got it ™-ed too.

Just making a tangential reality show reference, not contributing to the discussion. :p

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

This is just another sad example of the media controlling society.

People watch this kind of attitude on the television and think that's the way they should be. They emulate commercials.

It will never change, only get worse.

I agree though that the teacher should be fired.

11. bartelby macrumors Core

Ah, ok. I don't really watch TV. Motorsports and Mythbusters is about it for me.

12. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

It sounds like the school district and principal are actually doing something right, but the actions of this teacher is just plain wrong.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What an unusual situation! Hopefully the school's review will put good safeguards in place so this kind of thing does not happen again.

14. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Another example of the shining pinnacle of democracy.

Seriously, though, the teacher should be dragged in front of other teachers, and they can vote to have her fired or not. Then they can tell her she's disgusting and annoying. maybe she'll find out how that kid felt.

15. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I would go with making her infertile or death. People like this are the reason our society is being brought down.

Might be extreme but you have to start somewhere right? ;)

16. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

The vote means nothing, it's all about the super-delegates anyway.

17. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Even though the child has not yet been diagnosed with Asperger's (or any other form of autism as yet), the fact remains that his needs are being essentially ignored (unless he's the product of grotesquely bad parenting, not too difficult a concept these days).

The problem right now is that across the country--but severely in Florida & Miami-Dade County in particular--special needs kids are being sorely under served, and the teachers trained in dealing with those needs are being hamstrung with a bureaucracy that is mind-boggling. In an 8-hour day, the typical teacher gets all of about 5-10 minutes per child to address the learning in a manner appropriate to each child. That's on a good day.

I'm torn with what passes for modern educational beliefs, having seen the slow disintegration of quality, while at the same time "discovering" all sorts of new syndromes that, quite honestly, seem to be used as excuses more than explanations. I'm really not cold-hearted (except where it comes to the NEA), but skeptical of some of the claims when passing off poor performance or behavioral problems.

Having been through some pretty poorly-equipped teachers myself, however, I know what my mother's actions would have been, and it wouldn't involve lawyers or the media (or be civil in the least). If it were my child, the entire school board would be seeking protective custody about now...

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So long as it was a fair voting campaign then I'm all for it. A perfect execution of their rights.

Do I **** think that. Bloody teachers got me riled up and I'm thousands of miles away. Can't go poo on her lawn as easily.

19. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I wasn't diagnosed until I was 27. Five is a bit on the early side for a proper diagnosis, but if it is indeed Asperger's, I'm glad for the boy that they caught it early. Whatever the outcome, it's a very good thing he'll be getting something better suited to his needs. It seems like these days all they want to do with the "problem kids" is drug them up and be done with it. I can definitely relate to him not wanting to be labeled as "special", as it can be seen as pejorative, and this boy probably knows that. If Asperger's fits in this case, he's most likely a lot smarter than most people in that school realize, he's just wired a little differently.

As for that vile teacher, she deserves a slap, then being stood up in front of her peers and have them list everything they can't stand about her, then a sacking.

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I would think the parent would be happy to have that kid go to another classroom after that.

Wait, lets torture the kid more by forcing them to stay in that class and then sue the school for the emotional toll that'll cause.

Lucky there was no Dodge Ball being played ... no telling what that would have done.

---

Hard call sometimes, if a kid is that big a problem and disruptive. Sometimes it would be nice if they could get kicked out of the class.

Looks like a home school nightmare from now on though.

21. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

THEN the teacher needs jail time.
    Bet she voted for Bush.

22. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I wasn't diagnosed with Aspergers until I joined up with the Air Force back in 2003. The outcome was very good for when finally diagnosed because I know now how to treat the condition better.

I have found during my experience people in general don't know how to deal with people with a mental condition or emotional issue (I am not saying that Aspergers is or isn't) but if it's a physical condition people are definitely treated differently.

As for that teacher she needs to be sacked, that is disgraceful.

23. weckart macrumors 68040

How? Does that teacher have split personalities?:confused:

24. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

You mean, does the teachers have a split personalities?

This is horrific, the teacher deserves some kind of legal punishment, and those kids are going to need some kind of counseling too...

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I guess I was lucky.

I went to a school with 26 cute girls, and I got to open their briefcases one at a time.

Won some good money, too. :D