50% battery I'm impressed.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RKilbane20, Jun 23, 2009.

1. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

I have push,3G,WiFi and brightness around 80%. I have 5 hours 45 minutes of usage and 13 hours 8 minutes of standby. Really impressed with the battery after hearing bad things about it from others.

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm not so much after today, although maybe that was just from using it so much. I had my phone plugged in until 1 p.m. I ran down to 9 percent at about 10 p.m. I had been listening to the Braves and Yankees over 3G, so maybe that was a huge part of it. But I'm hoping I'll get a better charge as the week goes by. I was also using my Bluetooth headset to listen to some music at times -- until I needed the headphones to drown out the annoyances. I'll just have to see how it goes.

3. boeckelr macrumors newbie

RKilbane20 -

What kind of things are you doing to achieve your 5 hours 45 mins usage? i.e. is it mostly browsing....if so, 3G or WIFI browsing....have you used your GPS much? Have you run many apps? If so, which ones?

My battery is terrible...Here is how my day went: less than an hour of mixed wifi and 3G browsing....taking 4 pictures....using the GPS with Google Maps for 30 mins...using the phone for 1 minute...playing 1 level of Star Defense....and using Motion X GPS for 15 or 20 mins depleted my battery from 100% to 18% today, which makes this phone completely unusable.

I have gone thru charging - depleting cycles. I have even allowed it to completely discharge...nothing helps. I even restored the 3GS and reinstalled all my music and apps. Didnt change anything. I have a bad battery.

I am wondering if it is the GPS/Compass that is causing alot of the problems. A 1.5 mile drive to pick up a pizza last night while using Google Maps caused the phone to go from 86% to 80%....which is completely absurd.

I have an appointment at the Genius Bar tomorrow for battery issues - I want a new phone or a new battery...but I am worried that the Apple store I am going to will be out of phones.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Yesterday I had my phone on stand by for 18 hours and I have 7 hours and 51 minutes of usage and my battery was still only at 37%. best battery life I've ever had. Normally by 6 hours of usage it was just about to die. I have push, WIFI off, 3G off and have brightness at about 50%. My usage is 95% texting and the rest in applications. I'm impressed with how much better it is on my phone.

5. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

I remember my BlackJack II with the GPS and TeleNav was absolute crap when using it while driving. The problem is two-fold. First, using GPS uses battery and quick - even my Garmin Nuvi gets only about 2 hours without a plug-in. The other issue is the cellular signal. It's constantly trying to connect to the towers and if it drops below a certain range it boosts the signal. This eats battery like a pig.

I honestly can't see the clamor for turn-by-turn GPS in a phone after my BlackJack experience. It is so much easier to just buy a stand-alone GPS. Either that or buy an in-car charger, you pretty much have to.

I have noticed even on my 2G when using MLB At-Bat for radio games - over EDGE - the battery drops super quick. I deal with it though because its so awesome to listen to games live like that. But it definitely doesn't do the battery any favors.

6. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Seriously? You can get a new iPhone all you want at the genius bar, but you aren't going to get better battery life.

7. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

as a guy who came directly from 2G to 3GS, I'm not that impressed

my old 2G lasted longer

8. Dorv macrumors regular

Of course it did. EDGE requires considerably less battery juice than 3G does. This is not a big secret. When I went from my 2G to my 3G, I knew this was the cost of doing business. (Then, I dropped my 3G in a pool, and am back to increased life, but not by choice :) ).

That being said, GPS is also a big battery drain. But frankly, if you're planning on using GPS for an extended period of time (ie driving places) why wouldn't you use a car charger? Seems like a no brainer to me?

9. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Your 2G didn't have a 3G data connection.

10. Que macrumors 6502

there should be an exam before buying an iphone and if you fail you're not allowed to buy one.

example question 1. do you understand that 3g, gps, push etc depletes battery life?

answer: no.

go away and buy a cheap payg phone that will last a week between charges because IT DOESN'T DO ANYTHING.

11. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Hmmm.. you said "Phone"....

"My battery is terrible...Here is how my day went: less than an hour of mixed wifi and 3G browsing....taking 4 pictures....using the GPS with Google Maps for 30 mins...using the phone for 1 minute...playing 1 level of Star Defense....and using Motion X GPS for 15 or 20 mins depleted my battery from 100% to 18% today, which makes this phone completely unusable."

Hmmm.. you said "Phone"... Curiously it seems that being a Phone is LOST by some users.. my :apple: Laptop can do some of these things too, it lasts about THREE hours but I can't make a Phone Call on it to save my life.. usually!! :eek:

The More things change, Something Something... :rolleyes:

12. greekpaz22 macrumors regular

Battery life on my 3gs using it exactly as i did my 3g (3g on, push on, wifi and location services off) is giving me far worse battery life...on any given day after about 4 hours of mixed usage and 17 hours of standby i would be at appx 40% battery..on the 3gs i am lucky if my phone is still on..

there is def. an issue with either: a. my battery or b. 3.0 software

3gs battery life=noticeably worse than 3g battery life

and please don't say that i am using the phone more because it is a cool, new device...because my usage doesnt vary that much given that i am at work..

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Wonder if a reinstall might help this? Some people seem to be having issues while others have no problems at all.

14. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

make sure you all calibrate your battery by running it to 0% and letting it shut off by itself. I do this every time I get a new phone and periodically do it (maybe once every 2 months). Do this especially now that its a new phone. The batteries dont need conditioning, its the guts of the phone determining how much battery life you actually have left. Running it to 0% calibrates this.

15. wfj5444 macrumors 6502

Superb Battery

My wife and I got our phones on launch day (3GS Friday June 19th), we upgraded from the 3G.

My wife's phone is used for calls, gmail and minor txt (or was for this past week with gmail checking hourly). From Friday when it got out of the box at around 8:00AM until Monday afternoon it was at 76% with 0 charging. Tuesday around noon it was at 45%

Yeah so the battery is awesome.

16. King Luis macrumors 6502

because most people won't read this message, i'm going to make the text bigger so they do.

recently, due to my battery only lasting 2 days with no use at all, i switched up my charging patterns. i decided to start charging my phone every night when i sleep. i have noticed that the battery was able to hold its full charge for much much longer. being able to listen to music for 4+ hours, talk for 30mins avg, play bejeweled 2 for 10mins and some zombieville usa and tiger woods golf, not to mention texting and 3g surfing and emails. my battery at the end of the day still shows around 50%. i have 3g enabled, fetch is set to 30mins, push is on, location services is on and brightness is set to full.

since you get the point i'm lowering the text now to normal. i have a friend who has the ipod touch that has notice the same thing. charging to 100% every night has the battery hold its charge much longer which equals more usability. you should still do a battery cycle every month though as apple suggests.

17. redcupr macrumors member

redcupr

I just did this recently (let the battery go to 0% and then did a full charge), it made a huge difference in battery life on my almost 1 year old 3G. I had just accepted the fact that the battery would last me a full day under moderate use. As of today, the phone hasn't been on the dock since Monday and the battery is just above 30%...OK, now I'll put it on the dock.

18. fabianvs Suspended

fabianvs

do you guys charge using the USB or plugged into the wall? I have noticed that the 'charge' lasts way longer if you used the wall charger :)

19. King Luis macrumors 6502

wall charger for me...i only connect it to usb when syncing or if my battery is dead and i am not around the wall charger.

20. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I have 4:39 usage and 18 hrs standy and I'm down to 41% with full brightness, push and location settings turned on. Is this good?

21. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I did an actual heavy test of my battery performance. Here are results.

2+ hours iPod
    5+ hours WiFi
    30 minutes 3G call
    Airplane Mode < 2 hours

Attached Files:

22. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Not bad. Dropping your brightness would net you quite a bit more, I'd think.

23. jsdoyle macrumors newbie

Happy

I charge my 3G on a dock sitting on my nightstand every night. I've rarely run out of a charge in a day's time and I use it constantly.

Push is on, 3G is on, WiFi is on but not connected most of the day.

I also have a dock in my car that I slide it into when I'm driving. That charges too and gives it a boost. Very cool with a custom dash attachment. Go to Proclips.com.

Here's the car adaptor I use: Apple Car Cradle

Scott

24. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

no issues here. sorry no details, but my battery life is fine. charge every night, never runs out unless i spend a lot of time playing games or surfing the web - never from just using the phone as a phone

25. boeckelr macrumors newbie

Yeah I got a new phone all right. It replaced the phone that had the bad battery - the one that dropped from 100% to 66% in 56 minutes today on the way to the Apple Store doing 3G browsing - with Push Notifications and Bluetooth OFF...and Email set to MANUAL.

You're not going to tell me that that is *NORMAL* battery life, are you?