Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Just for fun we all know that 10.6 will be Snow Leopard? There are only 2 big cat names left (Lion and Cougar) but 3 more versions of OS X to go. If 10.7 is Lion and 10.8 is Cougar what will Apple name 10.9 if there are no more names to use?

Also a Cougar is a Puma so has it already been used leaving only 1 big cat name left?:D

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
There's only three version left, because of the OS X name. X means 10, as a roman numeral (I, II, IV, etc). I believe Apple is not dumb enough to continue with the cat names. They'll probably switch to OS 11.x after snowleopard or the the one after it. One or the other. I'm guessing a 2011 release for OS 11, matching numbers.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Why only 3 versions left? :confused:

Because the world is coming to an end, my friend. :D

As the Arctic ice caps melt and more and more cars emit more and more pollution, Snow Leopard will give way to Dirty Snow Leopard and then Melting Leopard, Rising Oceans. Finally, in 2014, Tsunami Leopard, Crashing Wave will descend on the coastal seaboards, wiping out most of the world's major port cities and killing billions of people, plunging humanity into a long and dark age of peril.

Coprolite

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Because the world is coming to an end, my friend. :D

As the Arctic ice caps melt and more and more cars emit more and more pollution, Snow Leopard will give way to Dirty Snow Leopard and then Melting Leopard, Rising Oceans. Finally, in 2014, Tsunami Leopard, Crashing Wave will descend on the coastal seaboards, wiping out most of the world's major port cities and killing billions of people, plunging humanity into a long and dark age of peril.

Where will you be when the ApocaLynx comes?

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
There's only three version left, because of the OS X name. X means 10, as a roman numeral (I, II, IV, etc).

How do you jump to that conclusion?

Apple can stop it at 10.6…
They can also take it on to 10.11… 10.12…

What law dictates that it has to stop at 10.9?
Surely you're not getting confused by the old 10.10 = 10.1 myth? ;)
:D

And yes, Yes, I know X=10. :rolleyes:

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
This doesn't mean Apple have to make 3 more versions if they choose not to. They can also make more than 3 more versions, for example OS X Tiger is currently on 10.4.11.

Ah arkitect beat me to it.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
They bought out 10.4.11.

The decimal places aren't there for mathematical reasons, they show revision numbers. The first number (10) shows the major revisions/overhauls of the OS (or has been since OS 7), the second number (now 5) shows the revision of the 'main' OS. The third number shows the update revision.

It's nothing to do with numerical order etc...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
(I can't believe I'm posting multiple times in a thread on this topic).

OS X CanHasCheezburger would be a good option too. Just throwing it out there.

anitvirus.jpg

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
How do you jump to that conclusion?

Apple can stop it at 10.6…
They can also take it on to 10.11… 10.12…

What law dictates that it has to stop at 10.9?

True... but its not "perfect". Apple products always have symmetrical designs. And OS X 10.13.1 is too long to remember and it sounds weird. And if they keep on going with the cat names it's going to get boring after awhile. And Jobs is all about "pizzaz", something cool and new. :D

ecche

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2003
a very kiwi place
Of course there are only 2 possibilities left now:

i 'Deaf Leopard'

or

ii 'Lion King' with system sounds by Sir Elton John ('Circuits of Life'; 'The Lion core sleeps tonight')

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.