Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

U.K. Apple customers may want to wait until Monday to buy a new Mac or iPod. Apple is said to be launching the U.K. version of their Back to School promo which typically offers customers a free iPod with purchase of a new Mac.

Apple's U.S. version of the promotion is presently offering students and faculty a free iPod Touch with their Mac purchase. We would expect the U.K. promo to be comparable.

Article Link

umop apisdn

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
Essex, UK
Last years UK promo was for a free iPod nano. It worked out you'd get the cost of a 4GB Nano minus tax which worked out to be about 80 quid off an iPod.

They will use the promo to clear current stock and then use to boost sales of next revisions (macbook & ipods).

Must definitely be coming if the printer rebate deal is over

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2008
you might want to go and speak to apple and see if they can refund/resell the item to you when the deal comes out, instead of having to pack the computer up and travel to the shop with it...

but it is with iMacs as well. ive been waiting ages - since about june for this offer - and it may finally have arrived!!!!

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
I wonder if we will get a free touch too :)

hopefully.... but apple has a nasty habit of sticking it to us hard...in the arse :eek:

hectrobeing

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

damn.... I just purchased my imac on wednesday...typical but why would I need an iPod when I got iPhone 3g 16gb...LOL

MojoWill

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
screw the free ipod how about we pay the same price for apple products as the US?

example:

24" iMac 3.06Ghz US Store $2199.00 (direct exchange rate = 1113.24GBP)

UK Store same product, same factory 1389GBP (USD = 2743.70)

Please explain to me WHY the UK has to pay nearly 300GBP more that is ********!!!!!!!! Screw the free ipod which costs like $40 to make I want US prices on Apple products!

derryquinn

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
screw the free ipod how about we pay the same price for apple products as the US?

example:

Please explain to me WHY the UK has to pay nearly 300GBP more that is ********!!!!!!!! Screw the free ipod which costs like $40 to make I want US prices on Apple products!

Capitalism

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005

example:

Have you added VAT onto those prices?

A lot of American store you do not pay tax up front, as far as I am aware.

So at 17.5% VAT you are paying 1,182 without the VAT.

There is also the extra shipping costs and the general higher costs in the UK.

I don't think you will find a US company that does not charge more to sell something in the UK.

MojoWill

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
Have you added VAT onto those prices?

A lot of American store you do not pay tax up front, as far as I am aware.

So at 17.5% VAT you are paying 1,182 without the VAT.

There is also the extra shipping costs and the general higher costs in the UK.

I don't think you will find a US company that does not charge more to sell something in the UK.

iphone 3g same price here and across the pond!

MojoWill

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
the iPhone 3g is subsidised by the mobile operators, the pricing is nothing to do with apple.

yeah but i doubt it if apple is selling it to AT&T cheaper and then leaving O2 to subsidise it more! The UN-SUBSIDISED price must be the same here and there and that IS set by Apple.

Even with sales tax I could have bought my MBP a lot cheaper in the US than it cost me here!

pinktank

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Capitalism

ermm, despite being a devoted enemy of the aforementioned, I request that you learn your terms before you spew them out. It has to do with higher workforce prices, import taxes, double shipping policies and european trade agreements.

iCries

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
ermm, despite being a devoted enemy of the aforementioned, I request that you learn your terms before you spew them out. It has to do with higher workforce prices, import taxes, double shipping policies and european trade agreements.

ownage. ^^

Josso

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
Denmark, Europe
YES!!

That may meen, that the promo are comming to Denmark too. :D
It would be great, if the new MBP's could be bought with this offer. :cool:

clareee

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008

U.K. Apple customers may want to wait until Monday to buy a new Mac or iPod. Apple is said to be launching the U.K. version of their Back to School promo which typically offers customers a free iPod with purchase of a new Mac.

Apple's U.S. version of the promotion is presently offering students and faculty a free iPod Touch with their Mac purchase. We would expect the U.K. promo to be comparable.

Article Link

Has anyone heard anything more about this? I know i'm sounding a bit desperate but i was planning on travelling to London in order to make the most of this promo as soon as possible, been waiting many months. It's Monday, and still no sign on the apple UK website.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
Has anyone heard anything more about this? I know i'm sounding a bit desperate but i was planning on travelling to London in order to make the most of this promo as soon as possible, been waiting many months. It's Monday, and still no sign on the apple UK website.

I know what you mean, I'm reliying on this promotion to make my first ever Mac purchase , as soon as it comes up then my Pc is going on ebay!

Maybe they will update it later on today, or even tomorrow - don't Apple like to do things on Tuesdays ? Do you think they will temporary close the store, or do they only do this for large updates ?

NStocks

Admonitor

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
I know what you mean, I'm reliying on this promotion to make my first ever Mac purchase , as soon as it comes up then my Pc is going on ebay!

Maybe they will update it later on today, or even tomorrow - don't Apple like to do things on Tuesdays ? Do you think they will temporary close the store, or do they only do this for large updates ?

NStocks

Likewise..waiting to make "the switch" until the offer and/or new Macbooks come out. In the US the offer started on a Tuesday so it's quite possible it's tomorrow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.