5400rpm Internal 1TB - 9.5mm/Sata III?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by oneinten, Apr 16, 2013.

1. oneinten macrumors member

I just replaced my Internal HDD with my SSD boot drive. and I think given how easy it was I'm happy to go ahead and install a second drive.. but as I'm going into the whole thing, I want to install a 1/1.5TB drive.

Can anyone recommend a reliable 1/1.5TB drive? is Sata III 5400rpm the best the mac mini (2012) will accept?

Alsao is the max depth a 7mm drive? I haven't seen any 1.5TB 7mm drives around?

2. mattonthemoon macrumors regular

mattonthemoon

Why not use the 1TB drive you just removed in the 2012 mini to make room for the new SSD?

3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

This.

Edit: Although if the OP bought a base Mini, then he only has a 500GB drive

----------

Technically you can use 9.5mm drives. In fact, theoretically you could use 1 12.5mm (and maybe even a 15mm with a slim 7mm SSD); however, I don't believe the mounting holes will line up so the drives will "float" inside.

So anyway, why not just use what came with your Mini? It's a great Data drive no mechanical drive (2.5" or 3.5") is able to Saturate even an SATA II port (max I have seen for short bursts is something like 200MB/s), so being SATA III really doesn't matter.

4. mattonthemoon macrumors regular

mattonthemoon

Yea, i missed that part! :)

I've used the WD Blue 1TB in my previous mini with the ifixit dual drive kit. Worked great.

As mentioned before Sata III is not needed for a spinning disk, despite what the adverts tell you :)

5. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

6. oneinten thread starter macrumors member

Brilliant! I think as I hope to only be going into the mini once, I'll get a 1 TB and use the original 500 gb in a case for backups.

In the UK the best I can find for value send to be a Samsung spinstar m8 5200rpm but I'm not sure if it's 9.5mm.

Do the locating pins match up with 9.5mm drives?