5870 : Finally readily available for 2006-2010 users.... Hallelujah!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ildondeigiocchi, Oct 23, 2010.

?

Should Apple speed up the process of making the 5870 readily available for Mac Pros?

1. Yes, it's extremely frustrating that it's taken this long already. Issue needs to be solved ASAP

100 vote(s)
    91.7%
  2. No, the waiting time for 5870 Upgrade Option for 2006-2009 Mac Pro users seems reasonable

9 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. ildondeigiocchi, Oct 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

It's almost four months since the Mac Pro was refreshed and that Apple decided to offer a 5870 upgrade option for 2009 Mac Pro users on its website. However, tests by barefeats have shown that it works on the entire lineup of Mac Pros (2006-2009). However, it seems that Apple is sleeping on the idea of making this card available to us. I love Apple as a company but to have to wait four months for a graphics card which has already been on the market since 2009 is ridiculous to say the least. Please fill out this poll to put pressure on Apple to make the 5870's status on the Apple Store go from "Currently Unavailable" to "Ships Within 24hrs"

UPDATE (08/11 @ 8:30 PM) : It seems that users were able to purchase the 5870 from Macpartsonline who has it in limited quantity and nearly 100$ over retail price. However, when one consumer received the card, the wrong installation guide was supplied (4870 instead of 5870) and only one 6-pin power connector was supplied. What can we take from this? Well maybe the slowdown has been due to the mispackaging of the product. All Apple Stores still have the 5870 listed as "Currently Unavailable".

Update 06/11 : As posted on another macrumors thread, it seems that you can now purchase the 5870. However, Apple does not provide information on shipping info of the product. So I guess this has now turned to a bitter-sweet situation but things seem to be moving in the right direction.

UPDATE (08/11 @ 6:52 PM): On the phone with Apple's corporate office in California trying to see when these things will actually ship.... Apparently Apple has no record of the order I placed on the Apple Store!!!:confused::confused:

UPDATE: IT SEEMS THAT FOR MANY USERS DESPITE THE FACT THAT WE DID PLACE AN ORDER ON THE APPLE STORE ... IT IS STILL PROCESSING AND THAT IS WHY APPLE HAS NOT RECEIVED IT. AFTER THE FRUSTRATION OF MY FIRST CALL WHERE I WAS TOLD THAT APPLE DOESN'T KNOW WHEN OR IF THEY WILL SHIP THE 5870, I CALLED THE CANADIAN APPLE STORE AND SPOKE TO A SENIOR APPLE ADVISOR. HE WAS VERY NICE AND SAID THAT THE WAITING TIME HAS DEFINITELY BEEN RIDICULOUS AND THAT SINCE HE HAS A BOARD MEETING TODAY HE WOULD BRING UP THE ISSUE WITH THE 5870 AND CALL ME TO KEEP ME POSTED.... SO WE SHALL SEE WHAT HAPPENS. :rolleyes:

MAJOR UPDATE (11/11 @ 2:00PM): JUST RECEIVED ORDER CONFIRMATION FROM APPLE.... ORDER WILL SHIP DEC. 22 AND RECEIVED DEC. 28 WITH EXPEDITED SHIPPING. I ORDERED MINE ON THE SECOND DAY IT BECAME AVAILABLE SO THEY SHOULD START SHIPPING AS OF DEC. 21 AS MANY OTHERS HAVE SAID :eek: BITTERSWEET MOMENT BUT AT LEAST THEY WILL SHIP :D

UPDATE (NOV 12): THE 5870 NOW SHIPS WITHIN 24 HOURS. IT'S ABOUT F***N TIME!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    LINK:http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MC743ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MTg2OTU0NTI

2. ventro macrumors 6502a

Once we hit 1000 we should all send it to Steve

3. Justinf79 macrumors 6502

Justinf79

Yeah, it's been rather frustrating to say the least. :(

4. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

maybe they forgot they added it to the store or to simply place the order for them.... then again maybe they think the 5770 is good enough for those of us who aren't buying the 2010 mp

5. RebootD macrumors 6502a

RebootD

And now the 5770 is listed as 1-2 weeks.. so we have zero upgrades to choose from currently. This is ridiculous.

6. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Apples computers are secondary on their list of priorities. Currently they're in the profit taking mode. The recent intro of the new MBA revealed a migration of all devices destined to be locked into Apples iTunes money machine.

7. iWolf00 macrumors member

I guess apple doesn't care about MP and professional market. I don't like waiting and I have waited enough; I am not certain about my decision, when I bought my MP :( sometime I feel it was the right choice; Most of the time I feel it wasn't after I see how apple treat Pro segment. :mad:

Will Pc card work in Mac; Will the new ATI 6 series work on Mac OSX; I start to think about the ATI 6970 when it is released; Is there anyone looking for a to install and flash PC ATI 6970 at APPLE Mac Pro...

My MP is Volunteer! :D

8. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

The ATI Radeon 6000 series of cards is currently unable to be used in Mac OSX since there aren't drivers for the cards. Plus the 5870 is superior than the 6870.

9. umgoblue2008 macrumors regular

umgoblue2008

The 6870 is marginally slower than 5870 as shown by early benchmarks, draws less power, and less noise. And, its about 200$ cheaper than the 5870. Too bad it won't be available for mac until next year.

If you want speed, wait for 6970. Either way they will only work under bootcamp with Mac Pro, not OSX

10. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Actually, there are drivers for the Radeon HD 6000 series in Snow Leopard 10.6.5 beta but no EFI on the cards to initiate it under Mac OS X.

11. semaca macrumors member

semaca

C'mon Steve!You wanna sell that card or not?If not,take it off the site and stop keeping us waiting forever .
    Semaca

12. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

That I am.
    I'll use the 5870 for OS X and the 6970 for Bootcamp.
    If I can do it, I'd really like to use the 6990 for Bootcamp.

13. goMac macrumors 603

Iiiiiiinnnnteresting.

If the 6X00 series is not a huge difference, I still stand by my thought that perhaps we could see the 6000 series come to Mac as well. Honestly, this might be a decision that ATI made instead of Apple, if ATI wanted to stop producing the 5870.

14. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

It's damn stupid. I don't really understand why they even bothered to add them to the store.

I have an 09 Mac Pro, I would love the option to upgrade the 4870 without all the hackery of flashing a PC card.

15. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Honestly it's as if they're teasing us :(

16. iWolf00 macrumors member

I clearly mentioned ATI 6970 as an upgrade for Mac because it will be the flagship of ATI. The ati 6990 will be awesome, but apple will never offer it in MP.

Your idea suite me; but instead; I won't upgrade for 5870 because it always stated as unavailable!

Now I understand why apple isn't willing to upgrade their GPU regularly!!

17. NexusEclipse macrumors newbie

Got my 5870

After much waiting it looks like the supply partners are starting to get it. Apple stores in Manhattan don't carry but Apple redirected me to TekServe who had one (I pre ordered back in September). They actually had the wrong sticker on the box but opened it for me to confirm the right product. Runs great and no issues thus far. IMO dont bother with the apple website and try ordering from some of their partners (I believe J&R here in manhattan also sells the graphics upgrade kits).

Hope this helps

18. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Sadly I live in Canada so even if they did have it I wouldn't be able to buy it. However, after having spoken to one of their sales agents, I was told that Apple told them that they would be more readily available by the end of October. All I can say is that every day that goes by patience gets thinner. I just don't understand :apple: , the demand for the 5870 is big so I don't get why it's taking so long for them to put it on the market :confused:

19. RebootD macrumors 6502a

RebootD

It says available for preorder but at least they have the 5770 in stock :D

20. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Well yes, but for twice the price of a PC version. No thanks!

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally willing to pay a little extra for a Mac compatible card, but not a 100%, that's a rip-off, nothing more.

They don't charge that much extra for the 5870, why for the 5770 then?

21. RebootD macrumors 6502a

RebootD

The smiley face was to show I was kidding. I actually debated getting the 5770 just to have something other than my GT120 but the price inflation is crazy. Sure the 5870 is 2x as much but it's only 20% more than its PC variants.

22. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

It'd be nice if the damned cards would even work properly in the new Mac Pro's. :rolleyes:

23. goMac macrumors 603

24. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

That's definitely a flashed PC 5870 that the person is selling. It's not an Apple branded 5870. Seems that they're an endangered species :p