5870 Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by strausd, Aug 20, 2010.

1. strausd macrumors 68030

So I just got my 12-core MP, yay!

However, I am trying to run an ACD 24", dell u2311h, and my tv at the same time. When I have all of them plugged in, the dell u2311h won't come up with anything. But when I unplug the tv form the MP, the u2311h comes up. Its like it can only run a max of 2 monitors. Is there a way to fix this?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You have downloaded all the updates, right? Do you have a third monitor to try it with? TVs can be troublesome as a monitor so I would with another monitor. Also, a call to Apple won't hurt, at least they will acknowledge this issue then

3. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

what ports are runnin what?

also, would you be willing to upload a copy of your rom?

4. skiffx macrumors 6502a

maybe you need an active mini display > dvi adapter ?

5. netkas macrumors 65816

6. sboerup macrumors 6502

Yes, if you have 2 displays that are DVI, one of them will have to use an active mdp > dvi . . . kind of lame since they are $100 each. That is if you want to use all 3 ports. I do, so I need to pony up the adapter, or stick with my 2600xt :(

7. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

ACD is MDP, TV is HDMI to MDP, and dell u2311h is single link DVI. The second I plug in the tv to the computer, the dell goes blank.

8. netkas macrumors 65816

ioreg -l -w0 > ~/Desktop/ioreg.txt

up the file and we will see how much display devices u got in ioreg.

9. skiffx macrumors 6502a

maybe hdmi to mdp isnt considered a native mdp device thus you need that active adapter.
    Anyway help out netkas, he will definitely help you in return:)

10. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

try this: unplug the both MDP and put in the other ones hole (simply switch them)

11. drml macrumors newbie

You may be running into this issue:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4279?viewlocale=en_US

Are you using the Dual-Link DVI adapters?

12. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

its only a 23 inch monitor, no dual link. I am using the cable that came with the monitor. Everything works perfectly. Once I plug in the tv that is HDMI to my MP via a MDP adapter, my dell monitor goes blank and it shows the TV. But it recognizes that they are different displays.

13. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

did that, do you want the text file as an attachment on here?

What did that actually do by the way? Did it move something to my desktop? Copy it to my desktop? Is that gonna cause any problems?

14. netkas macrumors 65816

it saved output to file on your destop.

put it as attachment.

15. xispec macrumors member

That's got to be crazy. To be able to use 3 DVI outputs, you'll need to use two dual link dvi adapters from MDP..... -100x2

16. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

17. drml macrumors newbie

EXACTLY. I just figured that out myself. To use three monitors on the new Mac Pro, you must use TWO dual-link DVI cables ($99 each :() in the mini display ports then plug the third monitor in to the DVI port on the card. You can use the regular DVI adapter if you only use two monitors.

I currently have two video cards driving my three monitors, but that doesn't seem to be an option on the 2010 Mac Pros, since I purchased the 5870. So, 2 of the Dual-Link DVI adapters are my only way to run three monitors. From the reviews on the Apple store, they may not work terribly well either.

18. sboerup macrumors 6502

Well you can always get a cheaper video card than spending $200 on 2 adapters . . .

19. drml macrumors newbie

Can you? Is it possible to run another video card along side the 5870?

If so, which ones? I can't find reference of anyone running the 5870 plus another card (not surprising :)). The second card would have to be low power because all of the power plugs are used by the 5870.

20. xispec macrumors member

Hmm I currently have 2x Geforce 120 in my MP, probably going to have my 5870 in slot 1 and the old Geforce 120's in the other slots. Being able to run 4 ACD =]. Won't know if it'll work till I get it but it's most likely it will.

21. sboerup macrumors 6502

Well I''m currently running a 4870 and 2600xt in my 2008 MP . . . plan on keeping the 2600xt if needed, or just go to 2 monitors.

22. chrisS macrumors member

Fwiw, I also read that I would only need 1 Dual and 1 Single adapters for 3 DVI monitors. I tried every combination I could think of but no luck. After reading the above tech note I went down to my local Apple Store and got a 2nd Dual-Link adapter (and confirmed I could return it if it didn't fix the problem).

I now have all three monitors working. Maybe I don't need 2 Dual-Link adapters but I couldn't figure it out and that tech note seems to explicitly say you need two Dual-Link for 3 DVI monitors.

Good luck.

23. Spacedust macrumors 6502a

Put it somewhere else - rapidshare etc.

24. Vylen macrumors 65816

I've got an unusual problem with my 5870...

Sometimes on powering on, with my three monitors plugged-in (DVI + 2xMDP) it refuses to display anything on the screen - can only be solved by plugging in the DVI only and waiting for the grey screen and then plugging in the MDP's. It first occurred when I turned it on for the first time... for a total of two times (second time just now after starting up from freezing the machine). Main display runs on a MDP....

I'm not particularly sure what to make of it - since it doesn't seem to happen when I restart the machine of which I've done on numerous occasions from installing stuff...

hmmmm

25. dknightd macrumors 6502

This is apples way to encourage use of display port monitors :cool: