Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darius_Latamus

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2005
To begin I just want to mention my current and previous cases:

- iSkin Revo2
- SwitchEasy CapsuleRebel
- SwitchEasy Colors
- SwitchEasy Capsule Neo (current)

When I was ordering my iSkin Revo2, I had glanced at the original Fuze for the original Iphone and completely fell in love with it and was actually jealous that it wasn't available at the time for the Iphone 3G.

I really loved the the clean look of it and the Dual Layer design with the soft shock-absorbing layer seemed like a no-brainer that nobody else had done yet. The two-tone colour looked fantastic and I really liked the fact that the docking port cover was attached to the case as opposed to say the SwitchEasy Neo where it's a separate piece (along with the headphone port).

Ok well, enough talk about the original Fuze, here is the new iSkin Fuze in Magma Red for the Iphone 3G:

_MG_3051.jpg

_MG_3052.jpg

_MG_3053.jpg

_MG_3054.jpg

_MG_3057.jpg

_MG_3061.jpg

_MG_3062.jpg

Looks pretty nice huh?

Well, to be honest, this is where the 'pretty' part of this review ends and where the 'pretty awful' part starts.

First of all, what's missing from the above images is the steps you have to take to put the case together. The reason I have not included the pics is because when I first tested it out I had such an incredible hard time separating the 2 pieces that I decided not to do that again a second time because of the chance of breaking the case. It would've been nice if iSkin provided a small plastic tool that you could use to pry the case apart and not cause scratching.

What you also don't see in the images above (or the images to follow) is that there is NO soft shock-absorbing layer dubbed "Dual-Layer Design" that is similar to the original Fuze. There are only 2 pieces to this case and you can easily see it in the above images.

The little user guide that is included with the packaging also states to remove any existing body or screen films prior to installing your iPhone into the case as it can "result in diminished fuze fit and/or function". So what this means is that if you had any protective invisible shield type stuff, that you should remove it.

Ok so what's really wrong with this case?

Lets start with the port covers. Although the case does a good job covering all the ports with the exception of the headphone port, it adds so much bulk over the ports that it is extremely difficult to click them, especially the power button which seems nearly impossible to click down with the phone in one hand.

Here's one thing I'm kind of concerned that wasn't caught before this case went to production. The silent switch button is pretty much impossible to switch once your case is on. I don't have long nails, but I can't imagine why they made it so difficult to access this button. I use it all the time; when I jump into a meeting at work, I switch to silent mode, and when I'm out of the meeting I switch back. If anybody else gets this phone, please post here whether or not you can switch it easily or not.

The dock connector port is covered well, but the design of the port cover has left 2 open areas where you iPhone can be easily scratched if you had your iPhone in your pocket with keys or stuff of that nature.
_MG_3070.jpg

Also, I'm not really sure how this happened but there is some extra plastic sticking out on the dock port cover seen here. Definitely not something you want to see when you're dropping $45+ on a case.
_MG_3074.jpg

Since we're on the subject of design flaws, lets look at some of these close-ups of the fitment.

Here you can see how the 2 pieces of the case do not sit perfectly flush:
_MG_3042.jpg

_MG_3043.jpg

Here's a couple of other shots showing the fitment. Notice how the red piece isn't straight and has bumps along the way:
_MG_3076.jpg

_MG_3078.jpg

Also, I don't know about you, but I can guarantee you not many people are going to be thrilled to see these swirls in the clear plastic. I can tell you that it bugs the crap out of me because they are very visible. Also, note that the home button is clear in color where as it's black on their website.
_MG_3064.jpg

_MG_3065.jpg

Take a look at these two images again.

Can you see these cross (+) markings just above the mic/speaker? It looks like that part of the case was pieced together. Hmm?
cross.jpg

In this picture, if you look at the circled area, you can see that the case cover is actually not sitting flush...its sticking out on the left side. Tsk Tsk.
stickingout.jpg

Also, I removed the 'Integrated Touch-Through Screen Guard' because I had already put a screen shield on it that was included with my SwitchEasy Neo and considering it took me almost an hour to smooth out the bubbles, I wasn't just going to take it off.

As I attempted to take the Integrated screen guard off, it snapped off easily, and the tape along the edges just got tangled. So now, I can't put it back if I wanted to because the tape won't separate.

Well, that's all I have for now. I have not actually taken it out with me yet so I can't give my final verdict on it yet but for now, I'm disappointed with iSkin. I really thought they would've done a better job with the Fuze 3G as many people were looking forward to this case.

If you can swallow all the little flaws I mentioned above and don't mind dropping $45 US on a case with quality of this caliber, then this is probably a great case choice.

For now, I still feel the SwitchEasy CapsuleNeo is my favorite, with the iSkin Revo2 coming in second place, and the iSkin Fuze 3G trailing in 3rd.

- Darius

(BTW, GO OBAMA!)

shobe348

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2008
Wow! Great review. But what a disappointment :( After such a long wait..you would expect a much better product. Iskin need to seriously look into their quality control..this is horrible.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Wow for 45 bucks I expected a much better build. Fit and finish is terrible from those pictures.

So far the Neo seems to be the best so far. Has better fit and finish. If it weren't for that logo sticking out it would be the perfect case.

Thanks for an excellent review.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Thanks for the update and review, pics really helped a lot. Really disappointing for an expensive case. I guess I'm sticking to my preferred iClear and Neo.

slyderulz

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2008
Man, that is some crap quality control. I have gotten some mixed results from iSkin, The Revo 2 for 3G and Duo I had for may Nano were perfect from a manufacturing perspective, but the Solo's I tried for the 3G were a mixed bag...the Red (Baron) one was perfect in terms of cutout alignment, no flash from molds, fit etc., but the Blue (Nightcrawler) one was horrible. There was a white flash trim line that cirlcled the eniter circumference of the case that just made it look cheap. Also the cutout for the camera never lined up right and the entire case had a loose fit unlike the red one which was tight as a glove.

If the Argent fuze case I get today has the defects yours has I'm sending it back and iSkin has lost a customer. I wonder if we should get our forum iSkin rep on this issue of quality control. What's the name, Kristian was it?

soctechnologist

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
CO
Agreed. This is lousy quality for a case in this price range. I already ordered the black Fuze which should be arriving anytime. If the build quality is this poor, it'll be going back and my money going elsewhere. What's happened to iSkin? I, too, wonder if their rep is around...

Darius_Latamus

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2005
It would be good if an iSkin rep could take a look at my pics...I would like to know if I was just unlucky with my case or if all the cases are like this.

Please post pics of your case when you get them, I would like to compare and see if they are similar in quality to mine.

I had high hopes for this case, and I'm hoping I can get in touch with someone at iSkin and get it replaced.

- darius

soctechnologist

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
CO
I just sent a PM to the rep... not sure if he's active in the forums, but I let him know about this thread and the concerns about the case. Hopefully he'll post something.

slyderulz

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2008
Perfect, thank you.

- darius

I sent an email to him with a link to the review as well. The email address is posted on his public profile here. Profile name is Kristianatiskin. His name is Kristian Ward and he is a marketing manager at iskin. See his profile for more contact info.

He seems to have responded to concerns with the Revo 2 and Fuze for the original iPhone, let's hope he responds favorably here.

WCunha

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2007
Bummer...Mine is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think when I get it. I'm hoping a bad one just got past quality control.

Darius_Latamus

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2005
I sent an email to him with a link to the review as well. The email address is posted on his public profile here. Profile name is Kristianatiskin. His name is Kristian Ward and he is a marketing manager at iskin. See his profile for more contact info.

He seems to have responded to concerns with the Revo 2 and Fuze for the original iPhone, let's hope he responds favorably here.

Cool, well, hopefully Kristian can help me as well as anyone else that receives their case in this condition.

- darius

slyderulz

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2008
Darius,

Kristian did reply to me via the email address. In fact he responded within about 15 minutes after I sent the message. He intends to post in this thread soon. See his response below (copied & pasted to protect NPPI data, except for my first name).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Stephen,

I have been following this post since it was released. I aswell share the users frustration especially the fact that this is supposed to be our highest caliber of case to date.

We are currently speaking with our factories as to what had happened here with the first shipment.

I will be placing a official post soon on that matter.

As for your personal issue – I have forwarded this off to our customer service manager and assure you this will be resolved today without fail.

Thank you for being such a valued customer we all really appreciate it. If you need anything at all please do not hesitate to email me anytime.

K

csmitty

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
thanks for the review. and pictures (all though a little more DOF would have helped ;) )

I had waited along time for this one but I got to feed up with my current one, already forgot the name of it, and got the solo. Of course 1 wk before this one drops. I have the night crawler and have the camera hole and headphone hole not lining up but the fit seems good and normal mold line around it, not really any flash. Only $25 total so I like it. I found the Fuze for 3G for like 28-29 online and thought about getting one till this. Plus I like having the whole front face open. I've really enjoyed iskin stuff in the past and it does seem like they're slipping.

I might pick up a 4G nano for exercise purposes and want to try their vibes and arm band. I thought about the 3G one (and get a refrub nano) but the longer ones fit my hand better. anyways, thanks again for the review.

Darius_Latamus

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2005
Darius,

Kristian did reply to me via the email address. In fact he responded within about 15 minutes after I sent the message. He intends to post in this thread soon. See his response below (copied & pasted to protect NPPI data, except for my first name).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Stephen,

I have been following this post since it was released. I aswell share the users frustration especially the fact that this is supposed to be our highest caliber of case to date.

We are currently speaking with our factories as to what had happened here with the first shipment.

I will be placing a official post soon on that matter.

As for your personal issue – I have forwarded this off to our customer service manager and assure you this will be resolved today without fail.

Thank you for being such a valued customer we all really appreciate it. If you need anything at all please do not hesitate to email me anytime.

K

Cool, thats great news. Hopefully they can get to the bottom of this as quickly as possible. Like I said before, I really hope that I got a faulty case for Iskin's sake, because a lot of customers would be disappointed if they received a case like mine.

Their original Fuze case was excellent, and considering this version should be an improvement over that one, I was expecting it to really be THE case that I would stop my case-addiction at.

Another thing I forgot to mention in the review is that if you currently use the Neo case, you can't use the soft membrane that came with it in your new Fuze case. I tried to squeeze it in, but the Fuze case is so tight to put on, that the thin membrane just slides off the sides. This, of course, is not iSkin's fault as it's not their product, but it would've been extremely comforting knowing there was a thin membrane covering my iPhone inside it.

- darius

Kristianatiskin

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2008
Mississauga On Canada
Good Day Everyone

First off please excuse the delay in my response...Im currently in San Francisco so please bear with me on the delays on email and board responses.

Secondly I do have to say "Great review” your attention to detail is astounding. Its reviews like this that we as a company are constantly looking at to make us better...And also really puts the gun to our heads to make certain that we are also continually providing you guys a product that is worth bragging about as so many of our other cases have been able to do!

Right now I'm looking into the matter with as great detail as this review and will be posting a resolution quickly - but in the mean time, Darius or anyone who has received their Fuze please email me directly if you have any issues what so ever. I would also like if possible and if its not to much trouble to include pictures of your cases so that I can begin a file on the matter.

I have been watching this post since it hit! so for all of you to know I am around and that you can always send a shout out to something that needs my direct attention. As alot of you already know I'm glued to my email 27/7 so that you always have direct contact with someone from iSkin.

iSkin's #1 priority is you! Our customers - our valued followers of the brand.

So for all of you who have ordered your case and have not yet received it - I trust it will be to your full satisfaction and for those of you who have received your case and are not happy please contact me directly and I will do my best to make sure each and everyone one of you will be well taken care of.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you

Kristianatiskin

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2008
Mississauga On Canada
Cool, thats great news. Hopefully they can get to the bottom of this as quickly as possible. Like I said before, I really hope that I got a faulty case for Iskin's sake, because a lot of customers would be disappointed if they received a case like mine.

Their original Fuze case was excellent, and considering this version should be an improvement over that one, I was expecting it to really be THE case that I would stop my case-addiction at.

Another thing I forgot to mention in the review is that if you currently use the Neo case, you can't use the soft membrane that came with it in your new Fuze case. I tried to squeeze it in, but the Fuze case is so tight to put on, that the thin membrane just slides off the sides. This, of course, is not iSkin's fault as it's not their product, but it would've been extremely comforting knowing there was a thin membrane covering my iPhone inside it.

- darius

Sorry guys i just saw this...

"This, of course, is not iSkin's fault as it's not their product, but it would've been extremely comforting knowing there was a thin membrane covering my iPhone inside it."

This actually is the whole point of the fuze. the soft silicone inside basically compresses your iPhone into the actual case, acting like your "membrane"...

just wanted to quickly point that out...

thanks everyone!

Darius_Latamus

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2005
Cool, thanks Kristian, appreciate all the help you can provide.

Has anyone else received their Fuze case yet? I'd love to hear your opinions and see some pics if you have any!

thanks,

- darius

slyderulz

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2008
It would be good if an iSkin rep could take a look at my pics...I would like to know if I was just unlucky with my case or if all the cases are like this.

Please post pics of your case when you get them, I would like to compare and see if they are similar in quality to mine.

I had high hopes for this case, and I'm hoping I can get in touch with someone at iSkin and get it replaced.

- darius

Kristian, I am sorry to say that I just unboxed my new argent (sliver) fuze when I got home from work today and discovered it has the same defect that Darius has with his red one.

The defect I am referring to is the metal facia, it is completely separated from the case all along the left side (front facing) while the right side is completely flush. Looks like it's going to pop right off. See pics (not as nice as Darius', but you can clearly see the problem). I haven't removed the film or even popped the case open...this is completely unacceptable.

I have sent you an email with more details, please let me know how to resolve this issue or get refunded.

Stephen

Attachments

• Fuze 3G - upper left front facing.JPG
    Fuze 3G - upper left front facing.JPG
    468 KB · Views: 168
  • fuze 3G - lower left front facing.JPG
    fuze 3G - lower left front facing.JPG
    472.2 KB · Views: 211
  • fuze 3G lower - out of box.JPG
    fuze 3G lower - out of box.JPG
    468.4 KB · Views: 179
  • fuze 3G upper - out of box.JPG
    fuze 3G upper - out of box.JPG
    476.6 KB · Views: 148

Darius_Latamus

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2005
Kristian, I am sorry to say that I just unboxed my new argent (sliver) fuze when I got home from work today and discovered it has the same defect that Darius has with his red one.

The defect I am referring to is the metal facia, it is completely separated from the case all along the left side (front facing) while the right side is completely flush. Looks like it's going to pop right off. See pics (not as nice as Darius', but you can clearly see the problem). I haven't removed the film or even popped the case open...this is completely unacceptable.

I have sent you an email with more details, please let me know how to resolve this issue or get refunded.

Stephen

slyderulz,

Thanks for posting the pics. Ya, it looks exactly like the problem I have. Have you tried to use the silent switch button? Are you able to get your finger to move the slider because I can't!

Also, what about the cross (+) marks at the bottom of the case...do you have those as well?

- darius

Darius_Latamus

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2005
You know what, I just took a second look at your pics and it does appear that you have those cross marks at the bottom of your case like mine.

Damn...

- darius

Davoo

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
...great I just got my shipment notice from iskin. :rolleyes: I was hoping it would get delayed until they fix the problem. I ordered the black one and was hoping this would be the end of the case hunt. I'll let you guys know what it looks like when I get it.

dnlbest

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2008
I will get mine today

I will let everyone know if I have the same issues. I ordered the Magma red and it should be waiting for me when I get home this evening, keeping my fingers crossed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.