5c screen popping/loose?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Romac, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Romac macrumors member

A couple weeks ago my 5c screen popped out at the top left, a good couple mm's above the rest. I took it by the apple store and they replaced the phone on the spot, which was fantastic. But now the replacements screen is popping/occasionally has a loose or 'springy' feel along the entire left hand side. The constant popping and clicking during browsing and use is annoying as hell, and I'm really disappointed with it. I searched on the forums/google and this doesn't seem to be unheard of.

However, with this particular phone it seems to be a bit more intermittent. I'm not sure if reaching a certain operating temperature causes it or what, and I'm concerned that between the intermittent-ness and the overall hectic environment of the Apple store, I may not be able to get this resolved. Those of you that have had this happen, is there a certain way to sure fire replicate it or to show the genius bar people? Perhaps I should take a video with our ipad?

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'll believe you if you say, "nothing" and assume it's a manufacturing defect, :D but I have to ask if you think there is anything at all you might be doing to put stress on it (or flex it)? I seem to remember seeing another post about the screen coming loose on a 5C awhile back.

Hopefully you are able to consistently reproduce it and get one that's solid.

3. Romac thread starter macrumors member

I really do wish it was something I was doing, so I could stop doing it! Lol. I am really frustrated, I have a friend at the apple store and she's having me bring it in this weekend and told me to try to video the issue.

I have noticed on darker screens if I push on the screen some 'waves' do happen. That may be normal though?

4. No-Me macrumors 6502a

My girlfriend has the same with her 5c since a couple of weeks. I make jokes about it being the first iPhone with tactile feedback ;)

5. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

my girlfriends iPhone is also like that, i dropped it on the top left corner and snapped it back into place. it fixed it for a bit but now the screen like clicks when you press it.

6. benoit85 macrumors member

I had a 5C that did this, when pressing the bottom left hand corner you could hear a popping sound and it almost felt like the screen was coming away. This was the second 5C i had due to the first one having a dead pixel and a gap between the screen and case. I ended up complaining and got a free upgrade to the 5S. When researching though i also found that it seems to be a known issue not just with the 5C but the 5 and 5S also. The problem didn't affect the use of the phone in anyway it was just annoying, i would say get it swapped if it is bothering you, i did my last swap over the phone so i didn't have to replicate the issue for anyone they just accepted what i told them over the phone. This was done though with phones 4 u in the UK who i purchased the phone from not Apple themselves, i'm sure they will just change it though.

7. Romac thread starter macrumors member

I went to the Apple store today, they swapped it no questions or hassles. Of course the phone wasn't doing it while I was there but I showed them a YouTube video of someone else who was having the same problem.

On a side note, I stopped by the sprint store on my way back home (SIM card issue with the new phone), and while there I played with a 5s they had on display. That display 5s had the exact same issue, so like you said Benoit, definitely doesn't seem to be limited to just the c models.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It's a common defect with many 5S phones. Go to Apple and show them.

9. daveed91 macrumors newbie

Can you post here the link of the youtube video?

10. BENJMNS macrumors 6502

BENJMNS