5G (video) iPod Sales Strong?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to various "industry and channel sources", one analyst is reporting that the 5th generation iPods are selling better than expected... even exceeding iPod nano sales in certain markets.

Businessweek points to 5-7 day delays in fulfilling orders of the 5th Generation iPod from Apple, however, this may simply be due to constraint in certain supplies. Apple is reportedly shopping around for a second supplier of LCDs to relieve the constraint.

Apple has already announced that they have sold over 1 million videos, but its hard to correlate that to 5G iPods sales, since anyone can purchase a video to play back on their Mac or PC.

RBilRamZ

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2003
So much for all of you that said an iPod that could play video was a dumb idea and that Apple was making a mistake. I love my 5G iPod!

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
The video iPod is the best bang for the buck. I can see how it would be a bestseller among the whole iPod line.

edge540

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
Indiana
I wonder how many college kids are going to buy these just to relieve boredome in classes... I know I would...

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
No doubt this is one of the things fueling Apple's stock price; up $1.91 today at $61.86.

ack_mac

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2005
Northern VA (DC)
edge540 said:
I wonder how many college kids are going to buy these just to relieve boredome in classes... I know I would...
That, and from a real estate perspective more and more people are moving into the city from the suburbs... That means more people riding on the bus, taking the metro/subway, etc. I am sure that the video iPod would be a nice way to help pass the time...

If every lawyer in DC and NYC bought one of these things, they would sell millions :)

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
it very much seems like the sources are right. i still haven't seen one myself, eventhough I work at a apple retail store :p ..same thing with black nano.

then again, we're talking about finland. must be the last country getting the stuff. oh well, at least we got itms before sweden ;)

(förlåt mig, Pelle Svensson)

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I'm sensing a disturbing trend. We are now going to be filling up MacRumors with "stories" of every cel phone industry news blurb, announcement, statistic, propogandlet... :rolleyes:

EDIT: sorry, posted under the wrong story.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
i'm going to buy one because i've had mine near on two years and a 60gb one that's thinner than my current 40gb would be great :)

and not scratched.... :rolleyes:

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
the blurs says apple wants to get another manufacture for the LCD display, what about finding a company who can make the ipod more scratch resistant. :rolleyes:

mdntcallr

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2000
While i love the market for music videos being created.

No one is saying whether or not the videos being downloaded are all recent. or had been including sales/downloads prior to the introduction of the video ipod.

my bet is that this includes the info from prior downloads.

i know i own some music videos which were included in my album purchases.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
still waiting for the first issues to raise there head with the 5G and get fixed before buy;)

man apples stocks up at the mo 61.98 wow it was 50 last time i looked

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
liketom said:
still waiting for the first issues to raise there head with the 5G and get fixed before buy;)

man apples stocks up at the mo 61.98 wow it was 50 last time i looked
i knew i should have bought apple stock over the summer:(

mcoyne

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2005
Durham, NC
ibook30 said:
I wonder how many folks were waiting for a "vid pod" before they bought ?
That's basically what I've been waiting for. I bought my first iPod a couple of years ago and have been holding out since then. I have to say that the video iPod rocks so far. I've loaded it up with home movies to show relatives and started ripping my dvd collection to watch when I travel. Much easier than toting all the discs with me.

Alex The Nifty

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2005
MD
Yeah, AAPL is doing great. I made a 50% profit over several months. Too bad I got out, it's about 125% now.

The only thing I wonder about is the iPod w/ video is apparently fueling QuickTime 7 Pro sales, but do people realize that that won't really let them rip DVDs? If iTunes had a good DVD ripper in it, then people would buy the new 5G iPods like there's no tomorrow, and for Apple, there wouldn't be, because they would be sued into oblivion by Hollywood.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Alex The Nifty said:
Yeah, AAPL is doing great. I made a 50% profit over several months. Too bad I got out, it's about 125% now.

The only thing I wonder about is the iPod w/ video is apparently fueling QuickTime 7 Pro sales, but do people realize that that won't really let them rip DVDs? If iTunes had a good DVD ripper in it, then people would buy the new 5G iPods like there's no tomorrow, and for Apple, there wouldn't be, because they would be sued into oblivion by Hollywood.
yep quicktime 7 pro for windows is in the top sales list on the apple store

Attachments

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I like my 4g 60 just fine, and I do not need to spend the money.... but those new ones are so THIN :) I like that almost as much as I like the bigger screen.

As for video, it's a fun extra, but not--for me--a reason to buy in and of itself.

What I really need is a way to justify buying BOTH a 5g and a nano. Suggestions are welcome :)

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
nagromme said:
I like my 4g 60 just fine, and I do not need to spend the money.... but those new ones are so THIN :) I like that almost as much as I like the bigger screen.

As for video, it's a fun extra, but not--for me--a reason to buy in and of itself.

What I really need is a way to justify buying BOTH a 5g and a nano. Suggestions are welcome :)
well christmas is on it's way ? need you any more excuse :D

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
mdntcallr said:
While i love the market for music videos being created.

No one is saying whether or not the videos being downloaded are all recent. or had been including sales/downloads prior to the introduction of the video ipod.

my bet is that this includes the info from prior downloads.

i know i own some music videos which were included in my album purchases.
Apple's own press release says that 1 million were purchsed and downloaded in under 20 days. That pretty much means that the tally started when the videos/tv shows were released on the iTMS.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
nagromme said:

Ummm....your nano is full? It's like a bookshelf. When you get too many books, you need to buy a new bookshelf!

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Lust factor

I'll admit I was dubious about them when they were announced, but after you hold one in your hand and watch a video you want it. It's a gotta have device. This news really doesn't surprise me. I will be updating my 3G.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Be Strong!

There are two reasons I am avoiding the Apple Store now:
1) 60GB iPod (I already have a 4G/60GB)
2) 15" PB with 7200rpm 100GB drive (I already have a 15" 1.25GHz...)

Do I need to upgrade? No.
Do I want to upgrade? Hell yeah!!!