5K LG UltraFine Display Now Unavailable From Apple in the U.S.

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 8, 2019.

1. TVOR macrumors member

And the LG 5k was a “consumer” level monitor???

2. fathergll macrumors 65816

Same way they did it last time in 2013

3. Boil macrumors 6502

Boil

Wow, so you want to shitte on millions & millions of Apple product users, just because Apple is not following YOUR specific business model...?!?

Classy...

4. Duchenedesign macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, May 9, 2019 ---
    Look at the LG 27uk850. I didn’t really like matte displays until I bought 3 of these. It’s an insanely clear monitor and it has great Thunderbolt connectivity. You will love it. Trust me.

5. Detnator macrumors regular

Detnator

Same question here.

I've researched and researched and NO ONE (that I can find) makes a monitor anything like the resolution and quality (including gloss like the iMac) as the iMac displays or these LG displays. (The Dell 5K's brightness is terrible compared to these).

I hate these LG displays, partly because of how ugly they look, but more-so because LG's customer service is among the worst I've ever had to deal with and I had to deal with them when I had two of these break. But the panels are awesome - the brightness and clarity are astounding.

I want a high resolution, glossy, and bright (500+ nits), display (like every apple display - iPhone, iPad, MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, iMac Pro), 27" or more, 4K or more, that I can connect to a 2018 MacBook Pro. Aside from these LG's, NONE exist - at any price.

Unless anyone out there knows of one? If you do, PLEASE tell me.

6. freddiebarnes macrumors member

freddiebarnes

For my old eyes the $150 one will do just fine, thank you :D

7. smirking macrumors 68020

smirking

I'm just old enough to have trouble with my eyes. That's why I upgraded to a 2016 MBP even though I hated the laptop (at first). I wanted the 5K monitor that bad.

I've changed my mind about that laptop. Actually, I re-upped. I'm on a 2018 MBP now and still lovin that 5K LG monitor. My eyes feel so much better with a higher res display.
    Buy a VESA mount and a display arm. Just how good does your display have to look when it's off? Mine is mounted to an arm and it's just a floating black square.

I was aware of its lackluster design for maybe 30 minutes in total in the 30 months that I've owned it so far. It replaced a gorgeous 30" Classic Apple Cinema Display, which I don't miss in the least. I'll take the better display, better energy savings, and lower heat generation over having a pretty monitor anyday.
    There was a podcast that examined how Monoprice managed to make quality knock-offs of so many high end electronic items. Their secret was to scour the supply chain for extra units of key components that were used by name brand manufacturers, wait for a surplus to materialize, and then develop around the key component that was purchased. At the time of that podcast, Monoprice's holy grail was to create a knockoff 30" Apple Cinema Display. They never managed to pull that one off.

8. kis macrumors 68000

Let me guess: will cost double as much and will have screen burn-in issues.
    --- Post Merged, May 10, 2019 ---
    Resolution-wise I agree - quality-wise not 100%. First of all, LG makes way cheaper models with the same color reproduction etc. They also hook up with one single USB-C 3.1 wire to your Mac and can charge it etc. They don’t have a webcam or integrated speakers though.

Dell makes monitors that rival or even exceed color reproduction etc but they don’t have 5k resolution.

9. McCrab, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019

McCrab macrumors newbie

A 27” 4K model would also be great for those with (Apple) Laptops looking for a home/office docking station solution. This I think is a significant market, especially if: the ergonomics of the screen are clever; it connects through USB-C; there are a decent set of ports and accessories, like USB, Ethernet, USB-C, headphones, SD-card reader, hi-res camera, mic, speakers etc (similar to those found on the iMac, Mini etc) to get us out of dongle hell; it is Apple designed, branded etc. Sounds a lot like a refreshed version of the original 27” Display, but 4K/Retina, brought up to 2019 standards.

10. - rob - macrumors 6502

- rob -

I agree. A 4K would also work on more of the back catalogue of machines in market.

I would not be surprised if a “budget” 27” 4K was released alongside a 6k.

11. adr1974 macrumors regular

Back online, and available in a number of Apple stores.

12. saulinpa macrumors 6502a

I thought that might be a rumor but took a look. I see it available at several Apple stores near me where it wasn't showing available before. I guess they got a new batch in to tide them over until the new 24K monitors show up in 2029.

13. doublesupercool macrumors member

Not as far as I know. The best you can really hope for is going for "half resolution" of 2450x1440, as I was looking for a decent monitor last year. It's a bit weird that no one offers anything at native retina resolution, but I am going to chalk this up with every other decision that Apple has made to go slightly off-base believing everyone will follow and then quietly ditching.

"Why go 4K when you can go 5K? It's, like, 1K better". Cool, cool, cool. I will stick that with all my Firewire 800, 400 and Thunderbolt gear in that massive pile over there . . . oh wait, there's not much in that pile, eh?