Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thegreatdivorce

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2010
Upper Left USA
I was happy with Sprint for about a month, mostly because it was cheap. After a year of averaging ~150kbps on 3G, and no LTE available in the tiny town of Seattle, I'm incredibly sick of Sprint. Leave while you can, people, and for the love of Job, don't let friends sign contracts with Sprint.

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
I was happy with Sprint for about a month, mostly because it was cheap. After a year of averaging ~150kbps on 3G, and no LTE available in the tiny town of Seattle, I'm incredibly sick of Sprint. Leave while you can, people, and for the love of Job, don't let friends sign contracts with Sprint.

You don't have LTE in Seattle?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Verwon has Sprint LTE in your area.

knovins

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
Where's the exit?

I'm incredibly sick of Sprint. Leave while you can, people, and for the love of Job, don't let friends sign contracts with Sprint.

I've spent an hour on the phone trying to cancel a Sprint order for a gold 32GB 5s placed on September 20th. The model is on backorder, no anticipated ship date--one rep chatted with me today and said the order would take about eight weeks from now (driving my decision), but all I've gotten for my effort is a maybe on the cancellation.

On top of that, I discovered that although I had asked multiple times for AppleCare and not Sprint's monthly hardware insurance plan, the order had been written up with Sprint's plan. Of course, I had no idea from the bill because the bill was not itemized.

I'm astounded by this situation. If I can get out of the order, I will definitely follow your advice!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've spent an hour on the phone trying to cancel a Sprint order for a gold 32GB 5s placed on September 20th. The model is on backorder, no anticipated ship date--one rep chatted with me today and said the order would take about eight weeks from now (driving my decision), but all I've gotten for my effort is a maybe on the cancellation.

On top of that, I discovered that although I had asked multiple times for AppleCare and not Sprint's monthly hardware insurance plan, the order had been written up with Sprint's plan. Of course, I had no idea from the bill because the bill was not itemized.

I'm astounded by this situation. If I can get out of the order, I will definitely follow your advice!
Contact Executive Services. dan@sprint.com. They will call you (if you give them a phone number).

Executive Services has the authority that Customer Service does not.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Who? Verizon? They definitely have LTE, and I'm trying to switch to them. It's just pricey with the ETF.
Verwon, not Verizon. One of the users here. Sprint LTE in Seattle.

My point in mentioning that verwon has Sprint LTE is that Sprint LTE is present in Seattle at this time.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
What's so special about gutting the network? They HAD to gut the network because they left it to crumble, whereas the competition spent the last few years upgrading backhaul and adding capacity.

AT&T: $14 billion to upgrade to LTE since 2012 http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=23506&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=35661&mapcode=corporate|consumer
VZW: $80 billion+ since 2000 (https://aboutus.verizonwireless.com/technology/network/)

Even if Sprint is spending more (of which you have no proof), the big two still have better reliability, coverage, and data speeds. And this is just the beginning. PCS/AWS LTE should be up soon to improve their already class-leading speeds.

I somehow doubt a small-fish, like Sprint, is investing more into their mediocre network.

EDIT: total NV investment is $4-5 billion dollars. (http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/32-network-vision-explained/)

So you are lying and spreading lies. AT&T is spending almost 3x more money on their already solid nationwide network.

We've been hearing this for years. They still have nothing to show for it. Even TMobile has leapfrogged Sprint's LTE deployment.

I hope tmobile can get some of the lower spectrum next year at auction. They've done some really good things this year, and improving their coverage indoors and in rural areas would be great

Joybulb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Who? Verizon? They definitely have LTE, and I'm trying to switch to them. It's just pricey with the ETF.

----------

Nope. First it was going to be last fall. Then this summer. Then this fall. Now ???

My area was scheduled for completion March '14. Today I checked and it moved to April. LOL. How long can it possibly take to install new equipment?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My area was scheduled for completion March '14. Today I checked and it moved to April. LOL. How long can it possibly take to install new equipment?
At this point in the rollout it's not the equipment anymore. It's the connection. Sprint has a lot of completed sites, but because the fiber-optic vendors are being very slow to deliver the backhaul cable there is NOTHING to hook the new equipment up to.

This is what happens though when you contract with your competitors to deliver that backhaul. What incentive do AT&T and Verizon have to be timely in hooking Sprint cell tower sites up?

thegreatdivorce

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2010
Upper Left USA
Verwon, not Verizon. One of the users here. Sprint LTE in Seattle.

My point in mentioning that verwon has Sprint LTE is that Sprint LTE is present in Seattle at this time.

It's not present, actually. Being that I live here, I can confirm that. Unless you count a block (literally, one block) here and there having LTE (at a whopping 2-3Mbps!) as "being present." Personally, I don't. That's just a few spots of slightly-faster connectivity.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It's not present, actually. Being that I live here, I can confirm that. Unless you count a block (literally, one block) here and there having LTE (at a whopping 2-3Mbps!) as "being present." Personally, I don't. That's just a few spots of slightly-faster connectivity.
Well, I won't argue with you. I'm just reporting on what verwon's experience has been. I'm about three states away and you're there so you would know better then I of course.

In any case, I'll let verwon speak for herself if she's reading.

thegreatdivorce

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2010
Upper Left USA
Well, I won't argue with you. I'm just reporting on what verwon's experience has been. I'm about three states away and you're there so you would know better then I of course.

In any case, I'll let verwon speak for herself if she's reading.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just annoyed with Sprint, mostly. You're correct in that there's small spots that have LTE. Example: if I stood on the on-ramp to Elliot Ave, near Ballard, I'd have LTE. If I go 400m up the hill, it's gone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just annoyed with Sprint, mostly. You're correct in that there's small spots that have LTE. Example: if I stood on the on-ramp to Elliot Ave, near Ballard, I'd have LTE. If I go 400m up the hill, it's gone.
No worries! I get it. But you are there in Seattle and I'm not, so you know better than I do.

It's like someone trying to tell me back in August that Phoenix has LTE just because two sites that are 20-25 minutes from my house are live. That would technically be true, but back then I didn't have LTE at my house.

That's why I mentioned verwon. She has LTE and is in Seattle. She can speak more competantly to it then I can. Other than knowing my sister lives there and having been there once I have no clue about what is where so trying to argue with you about it would be counterproductive. ;)

Apple Trees

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2013

With Sprint? It takes forever. The other carriers seem to have no issue getting things done on time.

Joybulb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Good news, I'm getting LTE at work now, and I've seen LTE pop in and out at my house and neighborhood a few times. Maybe it will be soon.

I'm using all the data I can at this point too, no wifi for me. I figure I have a lot of data use to make up for. I'm at 6.3gb used at 11 days into the billing cycle.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Good news, I'm getting LTE at work now, and I've seen LTE pop in and out at my house and neighborhood a few times. Maybe it will be soon.

I'm using all the data I can at this point too, no wifi for me. I figure I have a lot of data use to make up for. I'm at 6.3gb used at 11 days into the billing cycle.

I hope they are not just beta-testing! :p

Joybulb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
I hope they are not just beta-testing! :p

Me too. But if they are, I'm month to month, no worries.

----------

I'm on Sprint and I have the iPhone 5. LTE is in my city and it works flawless. My city is 91% LTE complete so when Im around the city Im on LTE most of the time.

The key for you is doing research before you buy. Below is Sprint rollout plus percentage complete:

Linky

You may want to do the same research for Verizon as well or you could be in the same boat.

Don't suppose anyone is a supporting member of s4gru.com and can tell me what the central Illinois status is?

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/517-nv-sites-complete/

NuggetSauce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2012
Definitely depends on where you live. I'm in southern california, and many cities and neighborhoods I can get 10-11mbps on LTE.

Sprint definitely sucks. But i'm on a family plan with 4 people and divided up it is dirt cheap, which is why I tolerate it.

Aside from the service, 5S is a good phone, so I wouldn't call it worthless, with it's hardware upgrades.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.