5s Battery life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ianwbz, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Ianwbz macrumors newbie

Hi , I bought a 5s the first day they were released and the battery life seemed terrible compared to my friends with an iphone 5. It seems to have improved a little but I'm not sure it's performing like it should. I took it to the apple store the first week and they reset it saying that some apps were constantly crashing and causing the battery to drain. Do you think I should replace the phone ? This picture is the best use I've had and was right before it died.

Thanks for any advice!

Attached Files:

2. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

That's better than many users get. It all depends on how you use it. They be more conservative with Bluetooth, etc. even still, 8 hrs+ is pretty good

3. jtfish macrumors newbie

I wish my 5s battery was that good...and you even have bluetooth turned on. I have just about every unnecessary feature turned off, including push on my email accounts, and I get 5-6 hours on a full charge. I'll probably take it back to Apple at some point.

4. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Thats good battery life. If you take it back, you may not get that good of battery life on another device. I only get 5-6 hours of usage. I hate this ****.

5. farmD macrumors member

That's actually really good. Definitely wouldn't take it back.

6. m1key macrumors member

The usage/standby time you are getting are better than Apple's estimates and what most people get. Do you ever notice that your signal changes from LTE to 3G often? I noticed you're on sprint so I wouldn't be surprised if your battery drains because of that.

7. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Doesn't Apple advertise 10 hours talk time? And you guys say it only gets 5-6 hours general use ?!?!

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Apple has already admitted, the battery on the 5s sucks ... yours doesn't seem that bad though.

9. mappyman macrumors regular

Download iBackupBot and when you plug in your device you click on "more information".

The part at the top that says battery gives results like:

CycleCount: 27
    DesignCapacity: 1550
    FullChargeCapacity: 1440
    BatteryCurrentCapacity: 90
    BatteryIsCharging: true
    ExternalChargeCapable: true
    ExternalConnected: true
    FullyCharged: false
    GasGaugeCapability: true

The most interesting part is the "FullChargeCapacity: 1440". Its self explanatory but its how much mAh your battery actually is charging to (not theoretical).

10. gCloud macrumors 6502a

11. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

12. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Is Apple falsely advertising? There claims seem much higher than what you guys are saying.

Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
    Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter
    Talk time: Up to 10 hours on 3G
    Standby time: Up to 250 hours

Internet use: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 10 hours on LTE, up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi
    Video playback: Up to 10 hours
    Audio playback: Up to 40 hours

13. hgrimberg macrumors 6502

hgrimberg

That means battery on the iphone 5 is better than on the 5S?

14. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

Apple, and all other manufacturers use ideal test conditions, the biggest battery killers are Facebook and your phone searching for 3G/LTE signals constantly.

It's very rare nowadays to be away from a USB port, so try not to let it ruin the new phone experience :)

Mine took a few complete de-charge/re-charge to sort out the battery life and now without heavy use is really good!

15. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

I don't turn anything off and have the screen at max. Battery is great. Infanantly better then my s3

16. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

8-9 hours of usage, which seems typical, doesn't really suck.

17. Ianwbz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for your advice. I guess it's not as bad as some have reported but not as good as apple advertised. I'll just keep it unless it gets really bad. I was just thinking that because they released a statement saying some batteries were bad that mine would've one if them because I bought it early. I definitely don't want to trade it in for a phone with worse battery life. I'll try ibackup bot.

18. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

yes ... the iPhone 5 battery is better than some 5s batteries

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/10/29/apple-confirms-iphone-5s-battery-life-issues-due-to-manufacturing-error

Apple knows about the 5s battery problems ... and my guess is, it might be a bigger problem than they are stating :apple:

19. hgrimberg macrumors 6502

hgrimberg

Is that maybe due to this fingerprint reader eating up a lot of battery whereas the iphone 5 doesnt have this issue?

20. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)