5S: be careful with back bottom glass

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mactroki, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Mactroki macrumors member

Hi

For my birthday my wife made me a surprise and we went for a hometown tour with Segway (two-wheeled electric vehicle) . After 1 hour of riding I felt pretty confident and started making short zigzags... and end up falling, with my 5S in the back pocket of my jeans.

The little glass on the back, the lower one, broke. I ordered a new one from ebay for 8€. Though it was for the iPhone 5, it fits perfectly 5S (the upper part DOES NOT because of flash).

To remove the old one I use a cutter and a hair dryer as seen in YouTube videos. A some point a tiny fragment which did not look like glass appeared but I did not worry and continued removing the whole thing. Well I don't know if it is because of heat or cut but the mic does not work anymore!

I though it was safe and easy it change this part and that nothing important could be found under but I was wrong! So be careful!

I am now thinking about suing my wife :)

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Not good !

This is why I use some form of iPhone case.

Currently the original iPhone 5s leather one.

I assume you had no form of insurance.

Thank you for sharing your story :D

3. Mactroki thread starter macrumors member

I decided to stop using cases and subscribe to AppleCare+ with the 5S.

This is not supposed to be covered by the contract as 1. initial damage was esthetic only 2. I ruined the guarantee by trying to fix it myself.

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Apple Care + covers accidental damage which is what this was.

And yes you may have voided this by carrying out repair work yourself.

That said.

Its worth trying to make the claim.

The Genius may just say Ok and swap it out - No questions asked.

Just dont offer up that info when in the shop.

5. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I doubt that claiming the phone's microphone stopped working afer the fall that broke part of the back glass will bring you issues since you have AppleCare+.

6. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Why the heck was your expensive iPhone in your back pocket? And, yeah, you need a case. :p

7. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Carrying a phone in your back pocket? Surprised that you broke it? Paid for AppleCare+ and then voided the warranty by trying to fix it. Couldn't figure out how to get it replaced under AppleCare?? :confused:

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Telling ya, I am NOT a fan of the glass-metal-glass, is not Zen Aesthetics. I wonder if they did this because the band-Antennas of the 4/s wasn't up to snuff.

9. 617aircav Suspended

I was wondering the same thing.

10. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Your username fits this post perfectly ;)

11. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

That sucks. I would assume that it is from the heat or u damaged it with something during the process. Hope u find a way to fix it. I learned a lesson here... I've always wanted to ride a Segway I'll just have to remember to keep my iPhone safe...sorry for the joke

12. Mactroki thread starter macrumors member

Yeah many lessons learnt. No Segway, no back pocket, no self repair. But I don't plan to get a case! Even broken, this device is too nice and too light to be spoiled by a case.

13. 1DApple, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013

1DApple macrumors member

My God someone with common sense.

14. Mactroki thread starter macrumors member

Actually I thought there war zero risk to fix it myself. And 8€ vs the 69€ required for replacement + the loss of a replacement credit out of 2, decided me to do so. Obviously I was wrong.

15. Phillyphil0302 macrumors member

Men don't carry phones in their back pocket!?!?! Lol jk. Dude, that sucks :-(

16. Charadis macrumors 6502a

This is most unfortunate. You could probably find a microphone component on eBay to repair yourself for cheap, or just take it to Apple. It might me worth noting, for future repairs, that it's usually wiser to disassemble the device to the bare encasement or as bare as reasonably possible before applying extreme heat to a specific part. Not all, but certain SMDs can be sensitive to exposure to such heat. Sent from my iPhone 5.

17. Partridge macrumors 6502

Seriously? You have Applecare+. This is what it's for.

So you replaced the back glass after it broke and now the microphone doesn't work. They won't like that it has an aftermarket part, so just take the glass off completely and bring it in and pay the out of warranty fee as usual.

No part is better than somebody else's part. The back glass is not an essential part, they won't care.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Zero risk? You realize once you fix/tamper with it, AC+ is useless?

19. Mactroki thread starter macrumors member

20. RenoG macrumors 65816

I was thinking the same thing, especially after seeing a million teenage girls all over the mall this past saturday with their huge phones, where? Stuffed in their tight back pocket. Must be a girly trend, (not calling you a girl OP) I'm just saying Putting your phone in your back pocket is never a good idea..

21. Mactroki thread starter macrumors member

OK so you want me to continue to confess? I don't like to get the phone near my testicles! So it is either back pocket or front right pocket of my jacket (don't like it close to my heart too).

Maybe that deserves another thread or even a poll: do you think having your phone near your balls is dangerous for your health?

22. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

He, he, I always thought the same thing. Might be a little too close. Oh well I don't want any kids anyway... :D

23. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Come up with a creative way to cause major damage to the phone so the tampering can't be seen. Cue the righteous outrage posts :cool:

----------

Maybe they would have apple logos on their foreheads

24. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I'm not a fan of carrying my phone in my back pocket at all. My iPhone is always in my front pocket, always.

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Thank you for contributing to the increase to $79 AC+ deductible and $269 out of warranty replacement price. We're all paying for it thanks to people like you.