iPhone 5 or earlier 5S broken screen strategy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duggram, Feb 28, 2018.

1. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

Broke my 5S screen this morning. It's shattered and not in 'get by' condition. Was hoping to hold out for a new SE if they come out. How should I deal with this situation? I see lots of iPhone screen repair shops locally. Should I get the screen repaired and continue to wait? Don't really want one of the currently available iPhones, but I am so iPhone dependent now. Thank you.

2. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

If you really need your phone to get by, then this is an emergency and you should go get a phone to keep the wheels moving right away. If you really do want to wait for the new model, you could also try picking up an old used 5 or 5S off of Swappa for $50 to get by, until you know what Apple has in store to splurge on.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

You could also buy a SE as you can find some good deals and will get you some trade in value when the SE2 arrives this Sept.

Sorry about your loss.

4. Ffosse macrumors 68000

Sorry your phone is ruined; I'd agree with the above and go for an SE which will give you improved performance plus they can be got quite inexpensively right now.

5. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

I bought a display repair kit from eBay for 25€.
    Just make sure that that it has the front camera and distance sensor already in it.
    Takes about 5min to replace

6. duggram thread starter macrumors 6502

duggram

Sure enough my manager at work was telling me that his teenage kid repairs all of their phones with screens from the internet. So I got a shop to do it. That's OK my phone looks like new and has a lifetime guarantee on the screen now.
    Thanks for all of the helpful posts. Next time I break a screen, if it's not in 50 pieces like it was today, I'll get a kit and try it myself.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Get a screen replacement as the new SE isn't expected this year.