5s screen tint uneven

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drmikey, Sep 24, 2013.

1. drmikey, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

drmikey macrumors member

I was wondering if others are noticing an uneven screen tint on the 5s. I notice it in the upper right corner of the display when on light backgrounds. Especially reading as the letters scroll through the tinted area. It's a yellowish tint.

I've read past threads of it being glue drying still, as they rushed these out the door for the launch, but I'm not sure if I buy it.

2. penguintri macrumors member

I've noticed this on my 5s. The top cm of the screen is yellower than the rest. Quite distracting when reading a white page in landscape. My old iphone 5 had it as well before I got it replaced for another reason! It seems some in the apple store have though not all! It's quite annoying!

3. drmikey thread starter macrumors member

That sounds like mine. The very top of the screen is yellower than the rest. The top right corner is the worst with the largest spot.

How long did you have your 5 before having it exchanged? Just wondering if it is something that may fade overtime. My 3GS had this in the corner as well and it never went away, but my 4S was perfect.

4. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Do you have any pictures of this to show us?

Otherwise I would have to think it's simply a bout of OCD you might be dealing with.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I doubt it will fade overtime. More likely your eyes just get used to it.

As for glue drying? How recently do you think they made them? I bet they are at least 6 weeks old.

6. drmikey thread starter macrumors member

My only other camera is my old 3GS, and I doubt it's good enough to show it.

I suppose it could be OCD, but I noticed it the first day and my 4S never bothered me. I wasn't looking for flaws, I just noticed it while using safari. I asked my wife if she could see it (just to be sure my eyes aren't playing tricks with me) and she could.

I figured I would give myself a week with the phone and see if either I just get used to it, or it fades out (if it really is a glue thing which I doubt).

7. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

8. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem with my iPhone 5. Put up with it for a few months and then it bugged me so much that I went to the Apple Store and they replaced it for me. Definitely a defect and I wouldn't accept this at all.

And iOS 7 makes these worse due to the predominance of white screen.

9. drmikey thread starter macrumors member

This is very true.

10. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Same friggin' issue here -- I just got my 5s out of the box and the top edge of the screen is yellow. Grrrrrr.

11. drmikey thread starter macrumors member

Mine hasn't gotten any better so I made an appointment at apple for this afternoon. As I'm using it now, it seems to be worse than other times. Not sure why it would fluctuate. It almost seems like the longer the screen is on, the more pronounced it gets.

We'll see how it goes at Apple.

12. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

13. drmikey thread starter macrumors member

My old 3GS is the only other camera so it isn't a very clear picture, but you can see the tint in the lower right corner of the display (which is the top right in portrait)

Attached Files:

14. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Yellow for sure. Make appointment and show them.

15. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

I called Apple and am getting a replacement phone using their Advanced Replacement Service. It'd take me half a day to deal with an exchange at the nearest Apple Store -- never mind the hassle.

16. drmikey thread starter macrumors member

Just got back from the Apple store. The exchange was quick and painless. They didn't have a problem switching it out. It was a brand new phone in an unopened box. They just took my phone and gave me the new one.

The new screen still has a little bit of a yellow tint at the very top, but not as bad as the last.

On a side note, I asked about stock and they said they don't have any 5s' for sale right now.

17. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

That's good news. I hope my replacement turns out as good as yours.

18. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

replacement still yellow? Take it back again. No amount of yellow is acceptable.

19. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

Meaning they keep some 5s just for exchanges. I was wondering about that.

20. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

that is not glue, glad you got another one.

----------

lol

21. kre62 macrumors 68000

As some of the other veterans have said, this is a defect, will not go away, and is unacceptable.

Apple keeps getting away with this because some customers don't pay as close attention as others. This happens every year at launch.

I seriously cant believe how long this glue myth has lasted. No matter how much myself and other vets try to tell people it isn't glue, some jack off ALWAYS without fail tries to say its glue. Incredible.

Its not glue. Take it back. And make sure the genius notes the reason.

22. drmikey thread starter macrumors member

Good luck! It takes away the "new device excitement" when it's not what it should be.

--------

Yeah, the genius specifically told me they keep some stock for exchanges but didn't have any for sale. That was what I was counting on when I brought it in not knowing what stock would be like.

--------
    I wasn't too sold on the glue story which is why I didn't wait any longer.

23. pkeynote macrumors newbie

Bought my i5S Gray last Friday and top cm of the screen is yellow the top right corner is the yellowish part.

Also the bottom is brighter than other parts of the screen, should I replace it?

24. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

25. pkeynote macrumors newbie

Which manufacture week/ factory?