Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

5th Avenue Apple Store Biggest Wait Line Ever

lke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-19 at 10.12.03.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-19 at 10.12.03.png
    967.9 KB · Views: 560

jpeg42

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Orygun
Serious question.... do most of these people pay with cash? Is that why they wait in line to scalp rather than just order at home?

EJ8

Suspended
Oct 13, 2010
holy crap someone took a video in Beijing and tried to pass it off as NYC.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
This line represents a group of people who should reevaluate their lives. If you have days to stand in line waiting for a FREAKIN' PHONE.......nevermind.

Adam-Jobs

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Don't understand how people can queue up. I love the phone. But do I really need it launch day?!

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
This line represents a group of people who should reevaluate their lives. If you have days to stand in line waiting for a FREAKIN' PHONE.......nevermind.

Many of them are going to make several thousand dollars for maybe a day and a half worth of work. How many drones sitting in their offices instead of lining up can make that amount of money in such a short span of time?

Sowelu

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
I walked passed both the 5th Avenue and Grand Central Apple Stores this morning as I walking to work and the majority of the people in line were Asian. WHAT a coincidence. :rolleyes: I don't care about your race or skin color, what I do care about is the fact that MANY people will not get an iPhone today because they are being scalped. Period.

Apple should require a credit card for purchase on release day. I think this would be a valid reason why should anyone question it. Problem is, it's hard to prove without our oversensitive society crying 'racist' simply because most of the scalpers (and paid shills) happen to be of one ethnic group. Apple simply won't go there.

Coincidentally, I decided to wear a royal blue polo today, so I thought it would be fun to put my work ID lanyard around my neck, with the pure white side showing so that I would resemble an Apple Store Employee. As I walked by, I went up to the line and said in a firm voice, 'okay everyone, new rules this year, absolutely NO cash to make an iPhone purchase. Credit cards ONLY and you must show a valid drivers license'.

The reaction was fear and panic (from those who understood me) and many of them picked up their Droid phones with a look of confusion in their eyes. Perhaps they were calling their pimps? I quickly walked away when a real Apple Store employee noticed me. It's midtown Manhattan, so it's easy to vanish in a second.

Just wanted to have a little fun as this sickens me year after year. :confused:

its93rc

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Texas

They make like $300-400 per iPhone (at least), no? They definitely make more standing there for a day than working those 2 days.
However, people who are there to buy it for themselves.......I can't defend them, haha.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
Many of them are going to make several thousand dollars for maybe a day and a half worth of work. How many drones sitting in their offices instead of lining up can make that amount of money in such a short span of time?

Several thousand dollars each off of a 2 phone purchase limit? Think again.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
I am sure that out there is a Chinese boss with a lot of money sending all this people to buy iphones with cash to sell them in other countries or places.

Maybe it is Jack Ma the billionaire from Alibaba sending all that people to buy iphones and selling them on Alibaba.com :D:D:D:D

Gincoma

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
There always ruining things :)....strength in numbers i guess but alone their very weak :eek:

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I walked passed both the 5th Avenue and Grand Central Apple Stores this morning as I walking to work and the majority of the people in line were Asian. WHAT a coincidence. :rolleyes: I don't care about your race or skin color, what I do care about is the fact that MANY people will not get an iPhone today because they are being scalped. Period.

Apple should require a credit card for purchase on release day. I think this would be a valid reason why should anyone question it. Problem is, it's hard to prove without our oversensitive society crying 'racist' simply because most of the scalpers (and paid shills) happen to be of one ethnic group. Apple simply won't go there.

Coincidentally, I decided to wear a royal blue polo today, so I thought it would be fun to put my work ID lanyard around my neck, with the pure white side showing so that I would resemble an Apple Store Employee. As I walked by, I went up to the line and said in a firm voice, 'okay everyone, new rules this year, absolutely NO cash to make an iPhone purchase. Credit cards ONLY and you must show a valid drivers license'.

The reaction was fear and panic (from those who understood me) and many of them picked up their Droid phones with a look of confusion in their eyes. Perhaps they were calling their pimps? I quickly walked away when a real Apple Store employee noticed me. It's midtown Manhattan, so it's easy to vanish in a second.

Just wanted to have a little fun as this sickens me year after year. :confused:

You're a little crazy.

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
WOW Whats up with the millions of asians? I saw a video from Australia and same thing......

haha

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
Right now Apple can't sell these in China yet, so they are probably headed to China. Would make sense for them to hit Australia too, since that is even closer. I'll just wait for my online order, thank you. Although I wish there was a way to screen out the scalpers. It would make the launch day lines much more fun and manageable- I'd be willing to do it then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.