5th times the charm! Got a rmbp with a samsung screen!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theuserjohnny, Aug 16, 2012.

1. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Went through 4 Retina's all with screen retention problems all were LG screens.

My friend has a Retina with a Samsung screen had no issues at all with it.

Store had one in stock and decided to give it one more shot!

GOT A SAMSUNG SCREEN!

I'm going to test for it later but right now I'm excited!

2. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Were there ACTUAL screen problems? Or were you one of those people who looked up the screen, read that there were issues with LG screens, and returned all those MBPs on that basis alone No wonder these things cost nearly $3k.

3. theuserjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

No I tested all 4 of them. All 4 of them had it all 4 were confirmed during my Apple appointments.

Sorry to disappoint.

4. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Had what?

5. NathanA macrumors 6502a

...from the OP; relevant part of the sentence is in bold:

Right there in the first sentence of the first post.

-- Nathan

6. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Right, but what the hell does "screen retention problem" mean? Ghosting? I've never heard it described as "screen retention".

7. NathanA macrumors 6502a

OP clearly just had a momentary brain-fart and substituted in "screen" for "image." The "ghosting" problem is more accurately described as "image retention," and several people here refer to the problem with that term rather than "ghosting."

-- Nathan

8. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Well good thing I have you to guide me through the land of defective products.

9. flipnap macrumors 6502

oh please. youve been around here long enough to know what the hell he was talking about.

10. guspasho macrumors regular

How do you tell whether you have a Samsung or LG screen?

11. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Oh please, I've never heard "screen retention" as a phrase to describe ghosting. Sorry to disappoint.

12. eeclipse16 macrumors member

13. theuserjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

Left a the same website I've been using to test for the problem for over 2 hours... just came back and checked it and its clean!

I'm doing it again for another 2 hours but pulled up a checkered screen to help produce it. But so far so good!

14. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

This is the perfect example of Pavlov's classical conditioning or an eye strained person... watch eye bags... :D

15. guspasho macrumors regular

Seriously, nobody can type the command in a way I can cut and paste? This is why I hate Internet video so much. Just because you can does not mean you should.

16. eeclipse16 macrumors member

Did you bother to read the description for the video?

"This link will show you the code and you can copy and paste it from there. The code has weird characters in it that youtube will not let me put it in the description."

17. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

How do you tell if the screen is Samsung or LG? Can this be done for any macbook?

18. eeclipse16 macrumors member

19. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Command

20. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Congratulations!

There is definitely a difference. Of the ones we have at work, those with the Samsung display are noticeably better, you don't even have to put them side by side. Over the years I've either had, or seen, the various brands of display panels in my various Macs. I've never seen such a difference as there is between these two brands.

21. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's really that big of a difference? I've been somewhat in doubt on this one. It still makes me laugh that one thread will call for Apple to end all ties with Samsung (some people even accused them of sabotaging ipad displays:rolleyes:), then in these threads everyone wants a Samsung panel. I don't necessarily agree with the testing methods. Displays tend to be problematic when subjected to such usage patterns. I would suggest that it's impressive that the Samsung one held up to the OP's abuse.

22. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

pics or it didnt happe

23. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

My initial thought.

24. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Pics of what, that people posted speculation on Samsung being the cause of their bad ipad displays? I've called them silly in other threads, just not lately. I didn't want to get banned for insults:p.

25. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

"Pics or it didn't happen" is only used by those with nothing of value to contribute.

Most probably the ones that lack the ability to think for themselves, or the easily amused "cool story bro" types :D