5x Digital Zoom Is Terrible!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DaGreat01, Jun 11, 2010.

1. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

So I have the iSO4 GM on my 3G and was using the 5x digital zoom and I realized that every iPhone since the beginning have had this digital zoom. All you have to do is take a picture, go to it in the library, pinch to zoom the picture, then take a snap shot. I took two pictures each using the two different methods and got the same exact photo. (I would post picture but I'm posting this from my phone)

Yo me, it feels as if Apple just add this to make this people wanting this to shut up already. I really see no point in digital zoom. If you go to your liberty and zoom a picture, that will be the same quality picture you will get with the 5x zoom.

Any thoughts?

2. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

That is all that Digital Zoom is and always has been, there are no zoom optics in any camera phone that I'm aware of so you'll never get a good 'zoom' on a smartphone, at least not anything worthwhile. All they may do is run it through some messy sharpening scripts to make it look better, but it'll still look like garbage. Also, you're only working with a 2MP camera sensor, so that's not helping out much either.

3. Hawklight macrumors member

DIGITAL zoom.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Optical zoom is the only way to go but it requires moving lens elements which is too expensive and large for the iPhone. Digital is just to appease and impress people who want a zoom and don't understand (most) what it is.

5. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Yeah. You are using the 3G camera. It is a lot better on the 3GS and I imagine even more so on the iPhone 4.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

but since the first iPhone people have been bugging that they want Zoom.

No one is ever satisfied.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

yes optical is far better this is why I will always own a camera. digital zoom is better then nothing, similar to auto cropping. but as said no cell phone I know of offers optical zoom. I'm more excited about 5 megapixel. the led flash will help to and HD video. all nice stuff to have but a iPhone will never replace my camera!

8. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

It's a phone, how much do you expect????

Why, WHY with every iPhone revision do people get less and less impressed with the product and start nitpicking at what it doesn't do well?

it shoots 720p video, what did you want it to shoot....1080i?
    it has a front facing camera, what did you want....2 of them?
    it has a high resolution display, what did you want....2 of them as well?

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That's a bit of a logic fail.

10. Logicality macrumors newbie

Well, if you were expecting anything else from digital zoom on ANY device, then you're living in cloud cuckoo land.

11. Logicality macrumors newbie

He means a photo taken at full 5x digital zoom on a higher resolution camera will be of better quality than on a lower resolution one. Which is completely true.

12. DaGreat01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I never said that I wanted better zoom. I was just making the point that you could do the same thing that the 5x zoom does without the update and that there is no point to it. I don't really care that it's crappy because I'll never use it nor did I want it.

13. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

It will definitely look better on a 5mpx camera...

14. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

dude, my computer has 1 kabillion times digital zoom. it's awesome

15. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

No, you don't end up with the same picture. Whenever you take a screenshot on the iPhone you get a picture that's limited to the phone's display resolution. If you were to zoom in to a picture 5X with the camera, the resolution would be higher (especially with the new 5MP camera in the iPhone 4) than a simple screenshot of a pinched picture.

16. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

as much as I hate digital zoom, it's hard to really judge the quality using older generation hardware with a lower res camera. it might be passable on iPhone 4... but yea, don't use digital zoom.... please.

17. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

Well, that's the iPhone 5 feature we can hope for. Apple reinvented the mobile phone... maybe they could get busy on an optical zoom/lens system that is low profile and doesn't consume as much power as a full version would. I'm sure they could think of something. Maybe a 2X optical zoom. Maybe manipulate the thickness of glass in such a way, they require very little space and very little lens movement to zoom.

18. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

welome to april. i found it a bit better on the 3gs tho. hope the 4 is better.

19. haulis macrumors regular

Although digital zoom is basically what everyone has stated it to be, Apple IS using some software tricks to smooth out the image. I've tested it. So it's not just the same as pinching in on a picture in the camera roll and taking a screen shot.

20. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

:eek: Whaaaaaat! Digital zoom sucks? I don't believe it. /sarc

C'mon digital zoom has been the phoniest of all camera marketing inventions since it's introduction. If it's not optical it's not zoom. Might as well just blow it up 500x in Photoshop. The first thing I do when I buy a new camera is make sure digital zoom is off. I'd pay extra if a camera didn't have the "feature."

21. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Optical zoom is great. The sad thing is that the Samsung A940 i had with sprint back in 2005. Had an optical zoom lens on it.

22. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Optical zoom would be better even is it was only 3X

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, digital zoom sucks.

24. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

This puts it perfectly. I honestly don't think apple cared to put this in but just did it because so many people "wanted it" (Don't think they realize how "terrible" digital zoom is.) The reason I say I don't feel they cared to put it in is because you know that Apple doesn't want to do or impement something unless it's done right, and to be honest, the zoom is ******, but I would not have expected anything more because this is how majority of phones are.

25. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I suppose a dish washer is too much more to ask for?