Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple partner BOE will supply the OLED displays for the fourth-generation iPhone SE, which is expected to be released next year, according to The Elec.

iphone-se-4-modified-flag-edges.jpg

China-based BOE reportedly missed the initial volume of OLED panels destined for this year's iPhone 15 series due to production issues, with Samsung and LG claiming the majority of orders. Now it is looking to make up for it by focusing on OLED panel production for the low-cost iPhone SE 4. The volume of OLED panels for the iPhone SE 4 is estimated to be around 20 million next year.

Rather than applying new specifications, the iPhone SE 4 is expected to use OLED inventory originally put in place for 2021's iPhone 13 or 2022's iPhone 14. "It makes sense for Apple to optimize by leveraging component inventory, as it is an entry-level product," adds the machine language-translated Korean report.

Apple has restarted development of a fourth-generation iPhone SE with a 6.1-inch OLED display and an Apple-designed 5G chip, according to the information shared by reputable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo last month.

Kuo said the new iPhone SE will be similar to the standard iPhone 14, which features a 6.1-inch OLED display with thinner bezels. The current iPhone SE is equipped with a 4.7-inch LCD display with thicker bezels.

Following the report on Kuo, reputable display analyst Ross Young said he had heard that the iPhone SE 4 will use an OLED panel from BOE, and today's report corroborates this information.

Article Link: 6.1-Inch iPhone SE 4 OLED Panel to Be Supplied by China's BOE

Reactions: floral

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
They're forced into this, they were going to release a XR with 5G and new chip but the SE 3 got utterly slaughtered in sales and non bias media reviews because of the 8 year old design, dated 720p LCD display and puny little camera.

While Google, Samsung and others released FHD OLED equipped phones at cheaper prices and the rest of the world isn't locked into iMessage peer pressure like America and will happily buy value for money in the current climate.

Something Apple needed to learn a lesson and now they're rushing to flog this left over iPhone 13 but rebranded and probably at a higher price.

I hope it tanks.

Should be a 13 Mini with a new chip, 3 colours (midnight, starlight, red) and same price, stop letting them rip people off with mid level specs at premium prices.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I think I’m going to buy a 14 as soon as the 15 is released and -hopefully- they drop 14’s price. I suspect this upcoming SE 4 is going to be a trimmed down or downgraded version of the 14, with just one camera, one ambient light sensor, and worse PWM on the screen. Also I want to have a Qualcomm powered iPhone, I have no idea how the new Apple modem will perform.

And many of you might wonder why the 14 and not the 13? Having 6GB of RAM instead of 4 should be enough reason, but an easy access to the battery without touching the screen, the double ambient light sensor, and the easier on the eyes PWM OLED screen are all reasons to get the 14 on top of the 13.

Like I said, hopefully it will drop the price once the 15 gets released.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Not sure how this is going to fit into the line-up. The SE is normally the phone at the bottom of the price points and uses an old design coupled with the latest chip and modem. If they are using the iPhone 12/13 design then what happens to the iPhone 13 next year? Normally it would take the place that the iPhone 12 has this year at the $599 price point, but if an SE4 with the same design and latest chip is supposed to come out that can sell at $449-499 because who would buy the 13? Same goes for the iPhone 14 next year - what place does that have in the line up compared to a 6.1" SE4 with iPhone 12/13/14 design?

Tripps9000

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2021
I think I’m going to buy a 14 as soon as the 15 is released and -hopefully- they drop 14’s price. I suspect this upcoming SE 4 is going to be a trimmed down or downgraded version of the 14, with just one camera, one ambient light sensor, and worse PWM on the screen. Also I want to have a Qualcomm powered iPhone, I have no idea how the new Apple modem will perform.

And many of you might wonder why the 14 and not the 13? Having 6GB of RAM instead of 4 should be enough reason, but an easy access to the battery without touching the screen, the double ambient light sensor, and the easier on the eyes PWM OLED screen are all reasons to get the 14 on top of the 13.

Like I said, hopefully it will drop the price once the 15 gets released.
I agree with you on the regular 14 I have it and I’m pretty happy with it.

Reactions: Populus

75Batt

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2022
Glasgow
They're forced into this, they were going to release a XR with 5G and new chip but the SE 3 got utterly slaughtered in sales and non bias media reviews because of the 8 year old design, dated 720p LCD display and puny little camera.

While Google, Samsung and others released FHD OLED equipped phones at cheaper prices and the rest of the world isn't locked into iMessage peer pressure like America and will happily buy value for money in the current climate.

Something Apple needed to learn a lesson and now they're rushing to flog this left over iPhone 13 but rebranded and probably at a higher price.

I hope it tanks.

Should be a 13 Mini with a new chip, 3 colours (midnight, starlight, red) and same price, stop letting them rip people off with mid level specs at premium prices.
Make your mind up. You want it to tank then you describe what you want and it’s the same as what’s runoured except for the size.

75Batt

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2022
Glasgow
they could also just continue to sell the iPhone 13 next year on an additional discount? What a waste of resources
How is it a waste? The screens are the same as used before. Only significant resource is their in-house 5G chip which needs to be launched on a lower volume device to allow them to get to scale since they’ve faced significant setbacks with it.

Reactions: mkoesel

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
Make your mind up. You want it to tank then you describe what you want and it’s the same as what’s runoured except for the size.
I don't give a crap what it is, the mini is just a better idea that's all, either way I won't be buying it or advising anyone to buy it.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I agree with you on the regular 14 I have it and I’m pretty happy with it.
Just out of curiosity, are you normally sensitive to PWM or you can use OLED screens without issues?

I haven’t tried it yet but some people say it is much better regarding PWM and eye strain.

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
I wonder if Apple will keep the iPhone 13 Mini around for a while.
With a 6.1” OLED iPhone available at presumably $499 (or even less), the Mini becomes an even tougher sell given its $599 price tag. Though they could lower the price of the Mini to $499 also, being hampered with an older processor would still make the value proposition a bit weak. It would be great to see the Mini get a processor upgrade and get a new lease on life, even if they discontinue it for awhile and bring it back later.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
Agreed, just to have a reasonably sized phone in the lineup. I disagree about the price - the 13 mini is still €800, which is imho one of the main reasons why it's still not selling. I'd have one if it wasn't that f*** expensive. To me it's more money than it's worth. (Which could be said about all other iPhones as well, but you just got to have one to take part in the eco-system. Still, the mini seems especially expensive for what it is)

Last edited:

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
This looks kind of pointless.
Lowering the 13 to $599 and 13 mini to $499 would give Apple plenty of firepower for the entry level.

Reactions: JM

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
I was hoping it would use the iPhone 13 mini architecture with a faster processor. Though it may be a smaller number, there are people who like this size. The mini would still be a display since upgrade.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Oh wow okay. iPhone 14 chassis?

That’s not at all as terrible as the 11 XR.

While I wish they would keep a small phone around, the 14 is by no means a huge unwieldy brick.

I reluctantly approve 👍

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I think they should release an iPhone 4/4s with upgraded internals, cameras and full screen with notch. That may have been the best body style of any iPhone.

I think that would put it a little smaller than the mini.
Of course, the battery life will last approximately 1.5 hours 😆

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.