$6.99 per month AT&T insurance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kevin8316, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Kevin8316 macrumors newbie

Is the $6.99 per month insurance worthwhile on a new 32gb 4S?

It does cover water damage but $7 x 24 = a good chunk of money.

I'm really careful with my iPhone but accidents can happen.

2. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

if your not sure of yourself, then its up to you. i never bought insurance through att.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

($7 + possible tax) * 24 = ≥ $168
    I'd rather try my luck with AppleCare+. I can only imagine how painful the process is through AT&T. Not to mention, you'll get an AT&T refurb, not an Apple refurb.

At least if something doesn't go wrong, you'll only be out $99 on AppleCare+, compared to the $168 on AT&T.

4. Tharian macrumors regular

5. Kevin8316 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did order it with the phone which I may not get until thanksgiving. I bet I can call and cancel it once I activate it. It has a $199 deductible also.

I need to check into that apple care, thanks.

6. Jmclark macrumors regular

Wait, does AppleCare+ not cover water damage?

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

8. Epiphron macrumors regular

at&t is more expensive because it covers against theft and loss.

9. xdbuix macrumors 6502

Applecare + does cover water damage and accidental damage. It'll cost $99 to buy and $50 deductible. You get two instances for water damage or accidental damage. Pretty awesome imo.

10. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

Personally I wouldn't pay $7/mo for insurance on a phone. But I never buy extra insurance on things like TV's, couches, electronics. It's your money though, and some people get sucked into all kinds of "protection plans" and the like...

11. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Only AT&T's insurance covers theft or loss when compared with AppleCare + or Square Trade.. I think Verizon offers similar coverage ATT's for $ 9.99/ month. Only you know if it's worth the risk for you. Replacement phone if lost or stolen would cost $749, I believe, while insurance replacement is $199. Do the math and see which works better for you.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

For loss/theft coverage, look to your homeowners/renters insurance to check the cost of a personal item/electronics rider.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Yeah but with what deductible? $500?? Which is average considering you have much more expensive things in your home.

14. Kevin8316 thread starter macrumors newbie

I called AT&T today and canceled the insurance, I don't have the phone yet. I figured I'll just buy a good case to protect like my old 3G. That thing is over 2 years old and still looks great. And, I can use it as a backup if I ever loose the 4S.

15. deeddawg macrumors 604

That will vary by your policy and insurance provider, but is typically a different deductible from the rest of the renters/homeowners policy. I wouldn't assume they're the same, but to find out directly from your provider.

AT&T's insurance is a $200 deductible for comparison.

16. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

My coverage is 100% with no deductible for renters insurance and cost about $55.00 a year from USAA. Not bad for lose, stolen, spills and drops....

17. EcuadorianMami macrumors regular

im paying for it...better than nothing...you never know when something might happen....u can cancel any time....thats just me tho...

18. Kevin8316 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think it's a bad deal for about the first year of the phone. Especially if your into boating and kayaking. My friend dropped her phone off a boat into the bay never to bee seen again and AT&T replaced it without any hassle.

I didn't know u could cancel it at anytime. I thought it was part of the new 2 year contract

19. Kevin8316 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I never considered that option. I'll have to actually read through my geico policy for that info.

20. Almy macrumors 6502

My wife had a phone on AT&T's insurance and the one time we needed it, it wasn't covered and the deductible was higher than the phone. Won't go phone insurance route again, especially with how good AppleCare+ is now. The insurer AT&T used also mailed a replacement phone without getting permission, she had just called to ask. I won't even go into the hassle that was to fix.

21. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

my iphone will conveniently get "stolen" at the end of each cycle then.

22. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Att will also blacklist your imei if stolen, but that's only if you have insurance through them.

23. deeddawg macrumors 604

Tread carefully if you go that path, AFAIK most policies require a police report. No phone is worth having to write something other than N/A for that job application question: "Have you ever been convicted of a crime?"

24. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502