Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
It gives the message and email landscape only in the small zoom... And I feel that setting drains power...

Rpetrich did tweet a couple of days ago that adding landscape mode at medium zoom level is on his to do list. Hopefully it won't be too long before he releases an update! And I agree that the small setting probably does drain battery a bit since the phone is drawing everything at a higher resolution than the screen and then scaling it down to the actual screen size. That has to waste cpu and gpu resources, which in turn wastes battery. Also, small mode makes a lot of UI elements feel too small on my 6. Maybe I'm getting old haha!

FriednTested

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
Rpetrich did tweet a couple of days ago that adding landscape mode at medium zoom level is on his to do list. Hopefully it won't be too long before he releases an update! And I agree that the small setting probably does drain battery a bit since the phone is drawing everything at a higher resolution than the screen and then scaling it down to the actual screen size. That has to waste cpu and gpu resources, which in turn wastes battery. Also, small mode makes a lot of UI elements feel too small on my 6. Maybe I'm getting old haha!

Yea it is too small... The phone feels funny... What I used to do was use small and then increase icon size to 110% via springtomize... But, then I just switched to the medium zoom due to battery concerns...

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
The more I use LittleBrother, the more I'm finding it somewhat pointless. I love having the landscape home screen(s), but nearly every time I launch an app I have to twist the phone to portrait, then back to landscape, to get the app to display in landscape mode.

Which defeats the purpose of having a landscape home screen, really. Constantly twisting the phone around in my car mount is going to wear that mount out pretty quickly.

Any ideas if there's a fix in the works?

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
FYI Little Brother has been updated with 6+ landscape mode in several default apps while at Medium zoom level. Works in Messages, Mail, Safari, Notes, and Settings. I'm betting more apps will be added over time but this takes care of the big ones for me. Definitely nice to have the 6+ features without making everything on my screen tiny!

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2011
PA
I wonder why not a lot of the rotate apps have split screen calendar app.. is it more difficult? Us busy people appreciate split screen calendar!

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
I wonder why not a lot of the rotate apps have split screen calendar app.. is it more difficult? Us busy people appreciate split screen calendar!

Yeah I'd like the split screen calendar too. It works in Small mode with LittleBrother. My guess is Ryan Petrich is working on getting it working in Medium mode as well. Give him time.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008

Yeah I'd like the split screen calendar too. It works in Small mode with LittleBrother. My guess is Ryan Petrich is working on getting it working in Medium mode as well. Give him time.

Was just going to say, works on my 6. Using small mode, didn't know it didn't work in other modes.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Little Brother has been updated and fixes a lot of the early bugs and brings back native wallpapers while enabling the 6+ landscape keyboard on my 6. Using that in place of upscale now, as it's the superior option at this point.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Little Brother has been updated and fixes a lot of the early bugs and brings back native wallpapers while enabling the 6+ landscape keyboard on my 6. Using that in place of upscale now, as it's the superior option at this point.

What is the latest version number, and which repo please?

Shredder96

macrumors regular
May 15, 2012
I'm interested in this too!

I bought littlebrother and I do like it. I removed it though until he updates it. The phone dialer and a couple other issues kept me from using it. He is revising it be able to use all the rotation features in the medium icon setting instead of the small. The small was just a tadbit to small. And also the removing dock background caused issues...

This was the 1st tweak I bought on iOS 8 and then also bought hideme8 when the beta ended this morning.

***Quick google search came up with SBFlip I'm going to go check that out now.***

He did update to fix the dialer now, in case you hadn't found that out

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
LittleBrother is giving me issues in a number of apps, most importantly Messages - whereas opening the app while in landscape mode prohibits me from seeing the "text entry" field. I can scroll through the history, change recipients, etc., but cannot pull up the text entry area without first rotating the phone back to portrait mode. After that, landscape works fine again until I exit/re-enter the app.

Are the other hacks showing this same type of behavior?

bcharleson

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
Was just looking for a thread like this. I have Littlebrother installed with betterFiveIconDock and works great other than bugs I've reported to the devs email address in Cydia.

This is what I've found and reported:

Phone 6, IOS 8.1, resolution set to small

1. Messages app -no option to collapse list of text messages or view full screen landscape (this is possible in Mail and Notes app)
2. Messages app- when trying to compose new message in landscape the app crashes
3. Messages app- not able to view pics in landscape (this bug coincides with bug number 1
4. Weather app doesn't animate weather
5. If you launch Timer/Alarm app and add a new alarm in landscape mode, then turn phone to portrait the app crashes.
6. Calendar app crashes when you go from landscape to portrait.

Sure hope he fixes these soon! Any others seeing similar bugs?

Last edited:

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
4. Weather app doesn't animate weather

Weatherfix8 kind of fixes this one at least. I've seen a few mixed reports that it gives only one animation or that it creates a black bar on the right side of the screen while in the app. I haven't noticed either behaviour.

bcharleson

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
Weatherfix8 kind of fixes this one at least. I've seen a few mixed reports that it gives only one animation or that it creates a black bar on the right side of the screen while in the app. I haven't noticed either behaviour.

Thanks...Yeah I have this and works well with Littlebrother for the time being. Would just be nice to see this bug fixed!

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
What's better, Upscale or LittleBrother? Are both still receiving updates or just LittleBrother?

I have a 6 so I'm trying to figure out if there is any benefit from one of these tweaks. I'm gonna buy LittleBrother just to support Ryan Petrich but if Upscale is better, then I'll use that for now.

What do you guys think? Is this ability beneficial on the iPhone 6?

Edit: Also, is ForceGoodFit a good companion tweak for both of these? Or is that tweak only good for one of them?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get caught up on the latest iOS 8 jailbreak news. I was outta the loop due to work and I just got my new 6 last week. Thanks for any feedback!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.