6 Plus: the missed opportunity

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cloudsurfer, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I have to get something off my chest. I've been using the 6 Plus for almost a year now, and while it has been a fantastic phone so far, something still bothers me. And until now I couldn't quite place what that was but I think I figured it out.

Developers treat the Plus as a phone, not a phablet. We finally have a huge screen real estate on our iPhone, but it's used simply as a bigger version of the regular 6 apps.

Apple did the right thing by enabling the home screen in landscape mode, and having split screens in Settings and iMessage. So why are developers so reluctant to follow suit?

Why am I forced to use Facebook in portrait mode? I would much prefer a split screen with my contacts on one side and my feed on the other. It works like that on the iPad, so why not on my Plus? And it's not just Facebook. Most apps that I've used are just bigger 6 apps that don't make proper use of the bigger display.

When I got the Plus, I sold my iPad fully convinced that this would be the best of both worlds. But I'm starting to think that I was wrong. There is still plenty time for developers to 'get' the Plus but if I knew 10 months ago what I know now, I would probably have gotten the regular 6 and kept my iPad.

2. Phil A., Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015

Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I used to have a Samsung Note and I found the same issue - it could be a small tablet but is treated like a big phone by developers.

I thought about getting a 6 plus but my experience with the Note put me off so I got a 6 instead. I'd definitely consider the plus size in the future but I completely agree that it has to be treat as a different device and not just a bigger phone by more developers in order to get the full benefit from it

3. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Thank you, thats exactly why I returned my 6+. When I posted about this, people said that once the phone is out long enough, it will change but it looks as if it never did.

Im gonna skip the S upgrade bc I like my 6 but when I get the 7 I'm going for the 7+ and hopefully it will be a bit changed (and thicker)

4. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

I have to agree....it's not been a great experience for me, I know plenty of people seem to love it but after using it for almost a year I'm at the point now where I think it's time to move back to a smaller device once the new phones are out!

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its a bigger phone, not a small tablet, and I don't think in iOS there's way for developers to differentiate by phone model, so they may not be able to write specific apps for the plus

6. Zaft macrumors 68030

Zaft

I agree only a handful of apps actually take advantage of it. The rest just up the resolution and leave it at that.

I'm not big into portrait but developers can optimize content in landscape. For instance I like how apple put small contact pictures in messages.

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Apple would have to change its designation to tablet. As it is designated as a phone, there's nothing you can do from the developer side.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Hmmm…I'm finding that I am using my 6+ far more in portrait than I am in landscape. I used my iPhone 5 in landscape far more than portrait because I was able to get a wider view. The width of the 6+ in portrait mode however seems to be enough for me.

I'm not exactly liking that when I shift to landscape on the 6+ with the intent to get a wider view all this other stuff pops up on the left side. Sure, I can press a few buttons to minimize it but I shouldn't have to.

9. recoil80, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015

recoil80 macrumors 68000

Of course there is a way to differentiate by model and with iOS 8 they made it simpler.
    I don't know why developers don't take advantage of the larger display.
    I use my iPhone 6 90% of the time in portrait mode (only turn landscape for youtube), but if I owned a 6+ since it is difficult to use it one handed I'd switch frequently to landscape, and I'd expect apps to be fully optimised for that mode.
    In landscape iPhone 6+ uses the regular width class, like iPads.

10. theshoehorn macrumors 6502

Agreed. There are apps that are now 6+ optimized but still force portrait mode... C'mon app developers! I don't expect it to be easy to do but in 10 months I'd think they'd have ample time to tweak it... Just my thoughts.

11. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Here, I took care of Twitter for you: http://9to5mac.com/2015/08/04/twitter-landscape-iphone-6-plus/ ;) :D

By the way, I do not think Facebook would work in landscape mode on iPhone 6+. There is not enough real estate vertically to make it work. A single thumbnail picture on the newsfeed would take up the whole screen.

12. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Well I really enjoy the screen size and 1080p resolution on my 6 plus. However it would be nice if there were 6 plus specific apps. I also hope in the future that the split screen mode that will feature on the iPad will come to the 6 plus soon.

13. recoil80 macrumors 68000

We'll find out in September.
    Now the developer documentation about multitasking is related to the iPad only, but I guess they'll add some features to the 6S+ and that could be a good reason for me to switch to the bigger model

14. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I've been at 5.1" screen size and greater for awhile now. Looking forward to going down in size with the iphone 6S.

It's just more practical for most daily uses. I really think 5" is the most screen size I would want.

15. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

This is why I'll never replace my iPad with a bigger phone. Apps just can't function the way they can on a tablet. I've been planning on getting a 6 Plus as my next phone since last year, and now I'm planning on getting a Note 5, because phablets generally offer more functionality. But they just don't have enough.

16. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

I guess it really depends on market penetration of the 6+ and user feedback for specific feature sets dedicated to a landscape 6+.

17. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

Websites can also target the 6 Plus (and other large screen phones) when in landscape. Most devs are lazy and keep the landscape version the same as the portrait, in terms of responsive design.

18. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

I hear you....I think 5" is the sweet spot...for me the plus is just too big in the hand. The bezels don't help the situation!

19. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Where in SETTINGS do I activate split screen in landscape mode. I did not know of this. Thanks!

20. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

Totally agree, great device thats been not been used to its full potential by developers.

21. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

You don't activate it, turn your phone into landscape mode while in settings and you get a two column layout, which is what I believe the OP meant by split screen.

22. Dingo Dave 69 macrumors regular

Am I correct in saying messages on the 6 plus show the contact picture where for the 6 it doesn't?

23. 8rlee8 macrumors regular

I prefer to use my iPhone 6 Plus in portrait mode. Unless I'm viewing a video then I turn it to landscape. The keyboard in landscape just doesn't work for me. The height of the screen isn't large enough to view content in landscape. Especially when the keyboard is up. It's a phone, not a tablet.

24. Cloudsurfer thread starter macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

Yeah that's correct.

I also agree the stock keyboard is horrible in landscape mode. The keys are too far in for my thumbs, I would have much preferred a split keyboard like on the iPad.

As for the screen not being large enough in landscape, I think it's a matter of optimization. The screen's width is an advantage here, because it allows apps to use several columns of information at once. The iPad does that with much success and the stock iPhone apps do so too to some extent. Mail and iMessage work fine with column view in landscape. Why doesn't WhatsApp, for example, make use of this?

It just boggles my mind that so many developers are apparently content with this. Some developers don't even bother updating the resolution. The Paypal app is a good example of this: it's maintained well and looks great, but it seems like none of the developers are like "hey, let's make this app run in its native resolution on iPhone 6+, so it doesn't look like an app written for people with poor eyesight". Is there any excuse why you wouldn't want your app to make the most out of a certain device?

25. CEmajr macrumors 601

Totally agree. Landscape mode was one of the big things touted by Apple with the 6 Plus but only Apple themselves and a handful of devs actually made a landscape version of their apps. I remember all of these apps that updated and claimed "compatible with the 6/6 Plus" but failed to add a landscape version. They don't seem to care so I don't think it's going to change anytime soon.

Honestly it's starting to feel like the battery life is the only saving grace for this large screen model. With the lack of compatible apps, it doesn't replace an iPad mini. So it looks like next month I'll be going 6S/iPad Mini instead of just 6S Plus. I'll let go of the battery life.