64 Bit Windows 7 with MBP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by GottaQ, Jan 23, 2011.

1. GottaQ, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011

GottaQ macrumors newbie

Specs:

OS 10.6.3
    2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo
    5 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

My MPB (Unibody Late 2008) isn't reading my 64 Bit Windows 7 disc. Is my machine only compatible with the 32 bit version? Is there a fix I'm unaware of?

UPDATE: After roughly 5 minutes of trying to read. A prompt comes up saying, "You inserted a blank DVD. Choose an action from the pop-up menu or click ignore."

Whats going on?

2. LiquidSpikes macrumors regular

LiquidSpikes

Sounds almost like a bad disk... can you test it in another computer?

3. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Have you tried restarting and booting from disk?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. GottaQ thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried it on another computer it worked. My MBP boots all other discs but it won't read this Windows 7 installer.

I fixed it by using an old Nextar USB 2.0 external DVD burner I found around the house. I've now installed windows, thanks for your help and suggestions.

6. mac2x macrumors 65816

If the processor is a Core Duo (as your post implies), then you cannot run 64 bit Windows. The Core Duos are 32 bit processors. However, if it is a Core 2 Duo, the problem is somewhere else. [edit] I strongly suspect your MBP to be the same as mine, in which case you have a Core 2 Duo.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The only Core Duo/Core Solo 32 bit only Macs were in 2006, so the 2008 and Core Duo were in conflict.

B

8. GottaQ thread starter macrumors newbie

My apologies. It is a Core 2 Duo. I was glancing back and force at the 'About This Mac' tab and my eye must've missed the 2.

It seems as if my drive won't read such large DVD discs, but regular DVDs read fine. Anyone reading this with a similar issue in the future:

I was able to have my MBP read my Windows 7 x64 disc by plugging in an external DVD burner (USB 2.0, I haven't tried Firewire).

Hope that helps

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

To get it to work is easy. Just pop in the Snow Leopard DVD. Instead of going through setup automatically on the splash screen, close it.

Then, manually go to Computer > Right click BOOTCAMP and hit explore. Then look for the file called BootCamp64.msi

Double click and everything will install.

Hope it helps. I did this on my Al MacBook late 08 revision.