64-bitWindows 7 and 2006 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bozz2006, Sep 18, 2009.

1. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

will it work? How about with Parallels 4?

and will it work with my unibody macbook?

Thanks ladies and gentlemen?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm interested in this as well since I DL Win 7 64-bit. I just need to find out how to get MS to give me a key.

3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Lets first look at Bootcamp.

Vista64 and Seven64 run on the MP1,1 if the boot DVD is free of versioned file names. This is naturally not the case. Microsoft uses ISO9660 UDF 1.02 compliant image files. All these 64 versions have versioned files. Apple's boot program in the EFI32 version does not handle file versions according to the ISO 9660 specification. The standard requires that a name for a file record should consist of the file name followed by the file version. File name and file version are to be separated by a semicolon. The Windows file system drivers issued since 2007 handles such versioned files but the EFI32 cannot. It will not find the Setupldr.bin/Bootmgr file when it meets versioned files. The booting stalls and the machine freezes. There are some work arounds for extracting the .iso file from the distributed boot DVDs and re-write those DVDs in non versioned form. Check Jowie's blog here. Unibody MBP have EFI64. They will boot all that MS can throw at you.

Virtual installations with Parallel just require the necessary virtualization extensions in the CPU's. All Mac Pro Xeons do qualify for that. MBP,s do from the 2,16 GHz late 2006 model If I remember right it was the T7200 C2D CPU.

4. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

I'm using Win7 64bit on my Mac Pro 1,1, it works fine as long as you follow the blog in the post above me to make a compatible dvd.

5. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

6. rub macrumors member

i have a 2006 mac pro and i'm in x64 win 7 right now. i installed it just like i did vista 64. 64-bit 2.1 bootcamp drivers work with it too, though i use the microsoft video drivers instead.

7. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

so it should work then? I'm going to get it with the $29 student version, which is actually a download. I don't know about whether or not this is free of versioned filenames, can you tell me grue? I don't want to get the 64 bit version if it's gonna be a huge hassle. if so, i suppose i would just have to get 32 bit, which i don't want to do. also, i have a unibody macbook, not macbook pro. i don't know if that makes a difference. any clarification is much appreciated, folks.

8. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Post #3 holds most of the answers

With 99% probability it will have versioned files. My Seven64-RC had them.

It is not a big deal to eliminate the versioned file names. It takes about 30 minutes and two burns instead of only one burn of the .iso. The 32bit version is limited to 2 GB of RAM which is crippeling.

uMB should be the same as uMBP, it has EFI64 IMHO.

9. rub macrumors member

i don't really understand all this versioned file name stuff. all i did was tell bootcamp assistant to start the install, i rebooted with the option key down, then started off the dvd and went from there. :confused:

10. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

You must be one lucky guy to have gotten a version which is free of the stuff. The commercial versions they flogg here all have multiple image options as they comprise anytime upgrades home->ultimate. If you select to upgrade they give you another key and you can use the same .iso to upgrade. This is why they have versions.

With all that information in hand, I went about recreating the .iso file to burn back to disk to see if simply setting checking the option in imgburn to not use the versioning scheme worked.
    First thing you will want to do is extract the boot image off of the DVD created from the .iso downloaded from the beta site, you can access this while in "Build" mode.

[​IMG]

While that DVD you burned is still in the drive, and after you've extracted the boot image somewhere to your hard drive, click the button to browse for a folder to add the files from the DVD to the image. Just add the root of the drive, you should then have something that looks like this.

[​IMG]

On the Options tab, ensure the file system is selected as ISO9660 + UDF, and the UDF version is set to 1.02. These settings matched what the MS .iso file were set at, and is the only reason I chose them. Other settings may work, experiment if you like, rewritable DVDs are your friends.

[​IMG]

Now we get to the part where we configure the ISO9660 settings, on the Advanced tab, Restrictions subtab, then ISO9660 subtab, I set the Folder/File Name Length to Level X, and checked all the options toward the bottom of that pane.

[​IMG]

We're almost done, onward to the Bootable Disk tab. Check the option to make the image bootable, select None for emulation type, browse to the boot .ima file you extracted earlier, and set the sectors to load to 4(8 if you're building a Win7 DVD!).

[​IMG]

That should do it! Create the new .iso file and then burn it to disk.

11. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Yikes! That's quite the process. No worries though. I'm sure it will be fine... if Microsoft would just accept my credit or debit card! AUTHORIZATION FAILED!!

Can't they get anything right? lol

12. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

They deliberately let the web sites malfunction if you use anything but IE. Firefox works more often than Safari. They seem to hate that. ;)

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

And the 64bit version of IE8 is flakey. :eek: It likes to randomly crap out. :rolleyes: :p

14. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

What is the point of a 64-bit web browser? With WoW you can use the 32-bit version much more comfortably. 64-bit is good for power apps, but browsing?

I like the MS concept of running 32-bit apps seamlessly on a 64-bit kernel. That way you can take advantage of the power kernel for stuff that profits from it and still use your 32-bit apps.

I like that better than having to alternatively boot into K32 and K64.

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's not needed yet, but I've been testing it though out of curiosity. I expect at some point, they'll find a way to force it (plugins for more advertisements rather than something useful). :p

16. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

I'm installing X64 Pro Win7 as I type

I pulled my other 5 drives out and have isolated it to Bay 4. I had to rewrite the ISO and reburn it according to the link above. Since I had partitioned this drive before in OS X, I had to delete all the partitions, and reformat as one NTFS volume. It's installing now.

So I held down C and booted from the modded DVD, and it slowly came to the install screen. I reformatted the last drive as a single NTFS volume, and it started copying files. After it rebooted again, it started copying files again, then the screen went black for a long time (like 5-7 minutes), then it rebooted AGAIN.

Turns out, I didn't have my secondary monitor turned on, and Windows switched to using IT as the primary. So when it rebooted a second time and got quiet, I turned on the second 23" and there Windows 7 was asking for my username, etc.

After I get to the desktop, I insert the Snow Leopard DVD and try to install the Boot Camp drivers, thinking it will give me the ability to select which OS I want at boot time (even though I still have the drives pulled out for safety). I run Setup, and it says "Boot Camp x64 is not supported on this computer model."

AUGH! EFI32 strikes again! So I take a deep breath and start digging through the DVD. Turns out the x64 drivers are listed in their own folder of installers at \Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple\x64. I open the Device Manager and notice the iSight isn't recognized, and that's in the folder. Running the installer...

OK, it ran. Running Bluetooth, iSight, Display, Keyboard... Hmm, the mic on the iSight doesn't register. THe sound is really faint as well, and I don't see a driver for it in the folder. Drat.

The ATI 3870 is picked up by Windows no problem, even updates in Windows Update. I like being able to run Win7 with both monitors. Quake 3 Arena seems to play fine (yes I still play it). But...

I can play Q3A on the Mac side. SOund works better there as well. THe iSight is fully supported. I only need occasional Windows access anyway. Heck, I can use my Win7 license to run a VM of it where I can run both at the same time and not give up an entire 1TB hard disk to devote to Windows.

After just going through this for a couple of hours, I've decided. Windows is not going on Boot Camp on this Mac Pro. VMWare is fine. Reverting back to the way it was...

Just my thoughts here,

JP

17. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

actually you may have looked in the wrong folder JP. there is Bootcamp64.msi in the drivers/apple folder. That installs the complete Bootcamp 3.0 from the Snow Leopard disk. The only thing missing from there are Catalyst drivers for the 3870 for me when I use this path. That is easily fixed in 3 minutes.

18. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Does 64 bit Windows 7 work with Parallels on 2006 mac pro? Thanks for all the details!!!

19. timb macrumors regular

20. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Hey, that's awesome! Thank you so much! I will definitely use your walkthrough when I try to install Windows 7 on October 22. What exactly is the workaround that you're doing? I mean, what is different about it that makes it work when the regular way to install Windows 7 bootcamp doesn't work?

Also, I am going to be downloading Windows 7, so am I going to have any problems doing it this way since I'm downloading it onto a mac instead of a windows PC? I'd hope not, thinking that I just download the whole thing then burn it to a disk, right? Your method will just require me to burn two discs instead of one, right? thanks again.

21. timb macrumors regular

Basically you'll be downloading the ISO from Microsoft, burning it, installing it to VMWare (or Parallels), then using that to create a new ISO, burning that and installing it to Boot Camp.

It's a little convoluted, I know, but it works.

Basically the code that makes the Windows 7 DVD boot is screwed up due to funky firmware on the early Mac Pros.

What we're doing is fixing the boot code and making a new DVD.

If you have any trouble, feel free to contact me on AIM or Twitter! (@TimothyBrown)

22. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

got it. so i'm assuming there are no issues with installing 64bit Windows 7 on Parallels on a 2006 mac pro? I won't have to do anything convoluted to make a 64 bit Windows 7 vitual machine on my 2006 mac pro? sorry for needing to be spoon-fed all this info, I just want to get an idea of what I'm doing before the day comes.

23. timb macrumors regular

24. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

25. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

@Gugucom,

I did see that BootCamp64.msi file, and when I tried to run it, it said I can't run it without elevated privs, and it had to be run through Setup.exe (which told me no dice), so yeah - tried that, didn't for for me.

@Bozz,

If you're just loading Win7 in Parallels, you shouldn't have to mod the DVD - that's only if you need Boot Camp to work. I didn't have to do it in VMWare - the original DVD ran fine.

You know, it really depends on what you need Windows FOR, in the first place. I'm a gamer, and I kept around a Core 2 Quad / 9600 GT rig primarily to play Half-Life 2 and related games. But I just discovered Cider where PC games can be ported over to the Mac - I might try that. At the very least I can move my games to the living room PC - it would give me one less excuse to stop working if I didn't have the temptation in the office.

So I've decided I can live without the PC, run just the Pro in the office (instead of 2 computers heating up the room like you would not believe), and run Win7 in VMWare, which honestly runs great because the "Hard disk" is running off the Mac's RAID. If I need a PC for something (flashing a firmware, doing something that REQUIRES a native Windows environment, something), I have the PC in the LR - I've just discovered Boot Camp ain't all that. Which is huge for me - I'm a PC die-hard.

Anyway, everyone goes their own way.

JP