64 gig iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by onigami, Aug 17, 2009.

1. onigami macrumors member

With the iPhone up to 32 gigs now, do you think they'll finally push up the iPod Touch to 64 gigs of space? I'd like to use the iPod Touch, but I'd be maxed out in space already if I use the 32 gig (I'm about maxed out on my old 30 gig iPod). And carrying around 2 iPods just seems ridiculous. I think it's a good time to do so...

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I'm hoping this September they'll double all capacities across the touch line. 16, 32, and 64 at the high end. I could use a 32Gb model to replace my 15gb 3rd gen iPod, but no way am I paying $400 for one. $300 I could probably handle.

4. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Maybe Apple will really blow everyone out of the water and release a new 128gb ipod touch for only $299! I can see it now Steve gets on stage and says "Today we say goodbye to an old friend the ipod classic. But we say hello to the future with the new 128gb ipod touch priced at only $299.

5. MTI macrumors 65816

I still remember when Steve debut'd the iPod in 2001 . . ."5GB holds 1,000 songs, which is virtually a person's entire music library . . ." :D

I believe the iPhone and current generation Touch showed that Apple's customers don't have to carry their entire audio visual library with them as a "must have" feature. What they are cognizant of is "price point" and so long as they meet the price point with the technology, that's typically the deciding factor.

It seems more and more that the computers from Apple are doing more to being "life support" systems for iPhones and iPods.

6. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

It's the next step. The problem is to know how big or little Apple is willing to step this year. They might give us a new Touch with camera yet the same memory sizes in September, then bring out a 64gb version in the Spring next year once sales start to slide.

7. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

Personally I would like to see them stick a 256GB SD drive in it and quit screwing around with the small stuff.

They could offer two models one with the camera and smaller hard drive and one without camera but a larger drive.

Just a thought!

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Bet on it.

9. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

True... But the 2001 ipod didn't do games or apps or picture or podcasts or video's or movies... ;)

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's really not that bad; the good part is when one runs out of battery because you forgot to charge it, you have a few more to use. :D

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Or color. And there was a game or two on it. Brick & helicopter IIRC.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The iPhone has one slot for Flash memory. It comes in two sizes, 16 and 32GB models.

The iPod touch has two slots for Flash memory. Flash memory is used in same size pairs. Since the iPhone comes in 32GB, that means we will probably see these three models:
    • 16GB (8GB x 2)
    • 32GB (16GB x 2)
    • 64GB (32GB x 2)

Price point wise, gut feeling says that we'll see these at the same or similar price points as the current 8, 16 and 32GB versions.

The iPod touch has two Flash memory slots. To have a 128GB model, Apple would need to use two 64GB Flash memory chips. Cost prohibitive at this time so we won't see it.

More than likely we'll see the following:
    • 16GB for $230
    • 32GB for $300
    • 64GB for $400

This will not happen.

SSD drives and Flash memory are implemented differently. The touch uses Flash memory while the Classic uses a SATA interface. To use a SSD in the iPod touch would require a complete rework of the insides of the iPod touch more than likely requiring that the touch become a thicker. Since thin is in, I don't believe Apple will change their view on this.

We may see the Classic go to SSD or Flash memory. My bet is Flash memory as SSDs are still very expensive. Flash memory wise, the Classic has enough space to use 16GB x 8 for a capacity of 128GB. This would require a reworking of the Classic insides since it is currently configured for a HD.

Guess we'll know soon enough.

Those were the days.

Purchased an original 5GB model for the daughter and then about a year later a 10GB model for myself. We still have them. :)

13. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

You would think if they could make a 160GB ipod, they could do the same with the itouch.

Guess I am thinking if Sony can do their P series with a 256, maybe the rumored apple tablet would be similiar:rolleyes:

14. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

I carry 2 8Gb iPhones (Original-turned touch, 3G), 120 Classic v.2, 160 Classic v.1.

Thats a grand total of... 296Gb in my pants!

compensating?....

15. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Hey, with the new ZUNE HD offering 64Gb for under 300 what will apple's play be?

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The iPod Classic saves information on a rotating 1.8 inch Hard Drive. It uses typical HD methodology to access the information on the HD.

The rest of the iPod lineup, such as the touch, uses Flash memory. Flash memory is like RAM memory and uses sockets. In the iPod touch, Flash memory is used in equal pairs and is accessed differently than a HD.

Apple wants to keep the iPod touch thin. To do this, they will need to continue to use Flash memory. That is why many predict we will see 16, 32 and 64GB models released in September because the iPhone, which has only one memory slot, comes in 16 and 32GB models.

Could Apple make a thicker iPod touch to hold a HD or use the extra space for more Flash memory sockets. Sure. But why would they? Apple wants to keep the iPod touch thin. So I don't see this happening.

17. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

There isnt a 64 GB Zune HD, the largest one is 32 GB at a price of $289.99 on Amazon, so its list price is likely higher. We are expecting the 32 GB Ipod touch to list for $299, and the 64 GB to list for $399. Given Amazon pricing of current Ipod Touch models, that would make the 32 GB Ipod Touch 3G cheaper then the 32 GB Zune HD on Amazon, and Apple will have a 64 GB model unlike Zune at this time.
    -Tig

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

+ Hard drives are "old" tech nowadays. All storage is moving towards flash

19. EricJD macrumors regular

They put an SD card slot on the MacBook Pro line, so why not on the iPod Touch as well? :D

20. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

There are many, many reasons for this including iTunes sync, having your library in a common place, etc.

21. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

That would be nice but then Apple couldn't sell you one with more storage next year.:p

Let alone the closed operating system, you mean actually read files/apps. from a card - without iTunes? Never happen.

22. atljogger macrumors member

I hope they stick with Flash memory since I plan to use 3G Touch for running. Right now I use an Ipod classic to exercise - HD storage is terrible for this because it constantly freezes or cuts off when it gets banged around.

23. MTI macrumors 65816

Well, clearly it's your running technique . . . are you doing the heel to ball roll motion in your stride . . . if it's jarring your iPod, it's not going to be doing so well for your joints . . . :D

24. McBeats macrumors 6502a

25. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree.

Plus if Apple goes all Flash memory, they get economies of scale which would help all iPod models. :)