64GB iPhone 6 Shortage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thecore762, Oct 25, 2014.

1. thecore762 macrumors regular

I thought the shortage was mainly for the iPhone 6+...but it seems like there is a shortage on the iPhone 6 64gb...trying to get my mom the 64GB iPhone 6 Silver/ or gold but everywhere I checked they are out...the only ones they have are the 16GB which is probably the most useless iPhone ever released since the OS takes 1/3 of the capacity.

Apple dropped the ball with the 16Gb because nobody wants it!

Apple Store had couple 128GB available for the 6 for AT&T, but she will not need that much space and the extra $100 is truly not worth it for her.

I am wondering when we will see a shipment increase for the 64GB..

2. IdealTech macrumors member

As you said in your own post, the 16GB model is absolutely useless in 2014. And the 128GB model is more storage than most customers need.

Therefore, the 64GB model has the highest demand and will be sold out more.

To answer your question though, in my opinion, no I don't think Apple will increase the supply of 64GB models. This lineup of 16, 64 and 128 seems to be their business plan and so far, it's working out pretty well. So as long as Apple's cashing in, I don't think they'll change things.

As an alternative though, have you considered buying it from the Apple online store? It does take about a week's wait to arrive but it does guarantee a phone :)

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I hope this isnthenwsy generation we see 16gb base models. For those who want over the air uodates they can't have more than 5 or so gigs or storage in use.

As far as shortages, I would assume the 64gb in both the 6 and the plus are the most popular ones for the very reason you mentioned. I would imagine most of the early adopters that picked up a base model did so because they happened to have it in stock and they didn't want to wait.

4. thecore762 thread starter macrumors regular

I also want to trade in the old phone at the same time so we can get credit towards the new phone for her...

I got the 128GB on release because I have tons of apps, but for her 32gb would be overkill, thats why we want the 64GB :(

5. IdealTech macrumors member

I assume you mean the 128GB is overkill for her.

But I guess, your only option then is to wait. You can try calling the stores to provide you a rough estimate on when they arrive, and maybe even try asking if they can reserve one for you.

6. thecore762 thread starter macrumors regular

Called every store in my town today...nobody has the 64gb... :( SAD PANDA :(

BTW, Amazon is offering $275 for unlocked iPhones 5 16GB...in gift cards...might go that route.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Order from Apple.com

My order on 10/21 is due in today, it shipped on 10/24, far sooner than the quoted 7-10 business days. (64GB SG 6)

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Completely agree, they should have offered a 32GB model as the base.

Anyways, what I did was order one every morning and used local pick up, if none were available, I cancelled it, and repeated the process every day until there was one available. That might work for you as well.

9. jdougal macrumors 6502

I have found the same situation as you. The 128 are easy to find, probably price lowers demand. And then the 16GB is there, but like you said, that is just not enough storage. Could they not have fit a 32GB in there instead of the 16GB and kept the profit margin and the same sales price?

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I was in San Francisco last month and the local apple store had a 128GB iPhone 6 plus. I nearly bought it, but I couldn't justify the high taxes I'd be paying (over 80 dollars in taxes alone) and the price of course was much higher then the other models - I had such sticker shock, I couldn't do it.

I'm glad I waited, as I was able to get the model I want back here in Massachusetts which has a much lower tax rate. It was a win-win for me. You will be rewarded for your patience :)

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Just order one online and it won't take too long before its in.

12. Brian Y, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014

Brian Y macrumors 68040

Just to add my 2c for this - I asked my friend who works at a reseller about this. They said that in their place the 16GB is the most popular (I guess because it's the cheapest). They also said that they get loads more of the 16gb models in than any other one - so it looks like Apple have just produced more 16GB phones.

I agree though, it's 2014 and the difference between 16 and 32GB of flash at wholesale prices would be tiny.

--

You should try living in the UK where sales tax is 20%!!

13. deeddawg, Oct 28, 2014

deeddawg macrumors 604

While true, the sheer scale of iphone sales turns tiny numbers big. Even at a $1 component cost difference that's tens of millions of dollars difference. So long as it costs Apple less in customers lost to competitors than it would cost to switch from 16 they will stick to their guns. Spending an extra $1 on twenty customers who would have been happy with 16Gb to not lose $5 on the one customer jumps to Samsung is a losing proposition; that extra $5 in revenue just cost you $20 to get.

That's also NOT factoring the (likely) millions of people buying 64GB phones who only need 32GB phones.

While I agree that it'd be nice if 32GB was the base model, I think Apple will successfully squeeze one more iteration and possibly change over with the 6S or the 7. I bet they have a bevy of well paid marketing and finance folks who carefully look at this stuff and figure out how to successfull extract as much money from consumers as they can get away with.

14. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed with others I orderd unlocked from apple.ca and it was delivered in 5 business days

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That is what I would do. No sense spending all this time to find one in a local store.

16. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

I placed an order for a 64GB space grey 6 AT&T on 10/21. It's still on the preparing for shipment stage (3 days). Yesterday there were a ton of 64GB space greys available all day in NYC for personal pickup and I was kind of upset because at this point I can't cancel my order. I know some people are getting the 6 in a week's time, but it looks like for me it will take two weeks.

17. GrecoISU, Oct 28, 2014

GrecoISU macrumors member

That's a lot...

18. bushido Suspended

bushido

no matterwhen i check the closest apple store to reserve one for in store pick up they never have any in stock no matter what size or color. i feel like they arent updating the site at this point. i guess ill just order one online soon and hope itll be faster than 7-10 days

19. GrecoISU macrumors member

I ordered 10 days ago and my ship date is... 11/26/14 - 12/08/14

20. bushido Suspended

bushido

holy ... what country r you in? even though it says 7-10 days on the site?

21. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

64GB iPhone 6 Shortage?

This is me too.

Ordered 10/23 with 2-3 day shipping option. It'll be here Thursday according to tracking.

Apple.com is way to go right now I believe.

22. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

It seems that you all paid for expedited shipping? I ordered on 10/21 and I'm still at the preparing to ship stage, and I didn't pay for expedited shipping. Makes sense now.

23. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

That's my guess. I figured for 10 bucks I'd give it a shot.

24. deeddawg macrumors 604

I didn't pay for expedited shipping. In fact, I didn't see any shipping options at all. I ordered late afternoon on 10/21 and as of this morning it's sitting at UPS waiting for me to come pick it up. Shipped from Mount Juliet TN too, not China. *shrug*

Differences perhaps are that (a) I ordered a leather case along with the phone, (b) I started out via ShopDiscover's link to apple.com in order to capture 5% cash back on Discover, and I ordered a full price T-Mobile ip6 SG 64GB. I don't know.

25. Got Haggis? macrumors member

all apple stores in my area (baltimore, md) currently have the 64gb iphone 6 spacegray in stock