64GB or 256GB iPhone X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by psymac, Sep 12, 2017.

1. ColdShadow macrumors 6502a

Sep 25, 2013
    Where is the source mentioning “awesome features on X” need more space?
  2. DNichter macrumors 601

Apr 27, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    There is nothing. I asked "like what?" before and never got anything. If you don't need all that much space and use cloud storage for most, the 64 is perfectly fine. Even all my 4K videos are stored in iCloud.
  3. ColdShadow macrumors 6502a

Sep 25, 2013
    I'd have preferred 128GB option vs 64GB for iPhone X and I don't like the way they play with storage numbers each year at all, it's a marketing trick obviously.
    but I can't justify paying that much extra just for piece of mind.
    you can buy a full on smart phone with the price difference.
    I have 128GB 7 Plus at the moment with over 120 Apps,over 300 photos and few videos and with iOS itself I've used less than 19GB from 128GB!
    So In think 64GB will be perfectly fine.
  4. DNichter macrumors 601

Apr 27, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm with ya. Each year I use less and less storage though so I am not too worried about it. I'll just buy the smallest size option moving forward. I used 25GB of my 256GB 7 Plus.
  5. brgjoe macrumors member

Nov 6, 2014
    Same here. I am barely using 20GB of my 64GB iPhone 6. So in 3+ years, I have basically used a 1/3rd of it. Also I haven't even maxed out my free 5GB of iCloud storage.

I probably would have ordered a 128GB version tho. But since it doesn't exist, I will just go for 64GB. Between cloud storage and other ways to get data backed up off the phone, I think 64GB will be fine for a decent amount of time for me.
  6. SharepointGuy macrumors member

Mar 28, 2011
    Rhode Island
  7. alansaysstop macrumors regular

Apr 11, 2009
    Going with a Black 256GB. My 7+ is 256GB and I couldn't imagine going back down to 64GB. I have a pretty extensive music collection that I've amassed over the years and I refuse to pay $9.99 a month to stream music I already own.
  8. samer.forums macrumors newbie

Oct 3, 2017

lol lets calculate :

256GB of Music ? lets say 5 Megabyte each

thats 51,200 songs

Thats 153,600 minutes

2560 hours

106 days

3.5 months

so if you listen to all of them just once 24/7 you need 3.5 months lol ... right ... and thats ignoring the time ou need to select playlists among them ..

well do you have A LIFE ?
  9. alansaysstop macrumors regular

Apr 11, 2009
    You are also not accounting for photos/videos, apps, email, etc etc. I use roughly 90GB just for music. Do I have a life? Yes, and it includes having a very wide selection of music at my disposal to listen to just about at any time that I would like. Without sacrificing data.
  10. DennisdeWit macrumors regular

Nov 16, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Same here! So 256GB. Because I want to see the trips I made two years ago whenever I am in the train. I want to listen to any song on my iPhone.

Why? I am a music director for a radiostation. It would suck to not be able to make playlists in the train.
  11. KingslayerG5 Suspended

Oct 16, 2017
    Just download Google Photos and store all your photos and videos on there. I have it for all my phones. It's on better on Android for uploading because iTunes won't recognize mkv or avi files. Then once uploaded, my iPhone can actually stream those videos. No conversion needed.

Unlimited cloud storage. Forget the 5gb free storage from iCloud. Just another way for Apple to keep extracting money from you. And Google's compression algorithm is excellent. Check out this link and can't tell the difference between original vs high quality.

I have a 2tb Seagate external hard drives connected to my PS4 slim. A pair of 1tb WD externals. I have maybe 1.8tb worth of every favorite TV show I like and about 1000+ movies and mostly on HD. Even 256gb wouldn't be enough for me because my movie collection is far larger.

The only solution is cloud solution and having an unlimited plan to stream them. Also having Netflix and streaming music subscriptions helps. The future is the cloud. I can understand people opting for 256gb for their large music collection but for the rest of the people with a small music collection, Google Photos is the way to go.

I actually prefer NOT having all my media files in one phone. Imagine if it got stolen or someone snoops around checking on your phone? My 32gb iPhone SE only has apps and 5gb of music. Most of the near 1,500 songs I had for years. Videos and photo albums aren't present. Still have 9gb left.

Truth be told, I don't even have time to watch over half my movies and TV shows that I downloaded. I probably haven't seen like 70% of what I stored in my Seagate. I couldn't even finish Angelina Jolie's Cambodian film on Netflix. So 64gb or even 32gb would be more than enough for me.

Download Google Photos for iOS or Android and then start uploading everything you want on there. Large physical storage has become archaic now.
  12. regkilla macrumors 6502

Mar 19, 2013
    more like in 15 seconds.
  13. Jimpilot macrumors 6502

Sep 11, 2014
    DFW, Texas
  14. eoblaed macrumors 68000

Apr 21, 2010
    4k@60fps will require double the storage of normal 4k video. Something to keep in mind.

My current phone is 256GB and is a little over half full. 64GB would be way to anaemic for me.
  15. DNichter macrumors 601

Apr 27, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yup, I know 4K videos are larger files, but they are still stored in iCloud. I have data to use so storage really isn’t something I think about. iOS manages it really well if you just don’t think about it.
  16. timothytripp macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2009
    Just FYI you might look at moving to Google Photos from iCloud. By FAR the majority of my memory usage on my 128gb iPhone 7+ is the iCloud Photo cache, which I've always wished I had more control over. Now that I moved everything to Google Photos and deleted everything from iCloud my total phone storage usage is about 55gb and that's with several movies downloaded and a ton of apps installed. Personally I'm going for the 64gb iPhone X because of this. If they had a 128 I'd be tempted to go for that if it was $75 more, but my iPhone 6s was 64gb and it was fine.
  17. haqsha23 macrumors 6502

Oct 22, 2017
    I highly doubt that. Even most people that will order through the app will take at least 15 seconds, and not everyone will have such a smooth transaction. I think a realistic time frame would be that the shipping dates start to slip after about 3-5 minutes after going live.
  18. daleski75 macrumors 68000

Dec 10, 2008
    Northampton, UK
    I tried google photo's before and for some odd reason it hammered the battery on my 7+ to the point it was barely useable but if it's better now I may go back to it, or I could just stick to one drive with my 1tb of storage and use that instead.
  19. Eas156 macrumors newbie

Oct 27, 2017
    Its the accidental coverage that makes the difference.
  20. python0704 macrumors regular

Apr 8, 2015
    Upgrading from 64G 6+ because it’s crawling now. Preordered 256G for some future proofing (increased photo/video shooting and put in a couple of movies). Plan to use it for 5 years(we’ll see LOL) because of the huge price tag. $230/year cost seems reasonable as long as I resist upgrading the firmware to keep it buttery smooth.
  21. 15danielp macrumors regular

Nov 2, 2006
    Tucson, Arizona
    If you get 256gb it'll last you three years. And will be worth something after three years. With 4K movies and lossless audio becoming the standard, it'll be worth a lot more when trying to resell.

And your habits might change.