64GB RAM in 2006 Mac Pro (2,1)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by profinite, Nov 21, 2015.

1. EmlynDewar macrumors member

I use the above configuration in mine, 8 x 4gb Crucial sticks I'd pulled from an old server, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Glad to have seen this thread, as I've been looking for a PCI-e adapter for an M2 SSD.
    Lycom DT120 will have to be purchased. :)

2. mani girafe macrumors member

mani girafe

if you want some memory 8 / 16 / 32 gigas memory kit for MAC 1,1 / 2,1 , i have :) a lot of bank

3. outatime, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  4. Pballer macrumors newbie

Pballer

5. CapnDavey macrumors 6502

CapnDavey

6. grooby macrumors newbie

grooby

I did this when I was upgrading my rams to 32GB. Bought the RAMs off eBay, swap the heat sinks, re-insert back to the tray. So far so good.

7. weckart macrumors 601

I did the same using fresh thermal pads on the chips but the original Apple heatsinks weren't a good fit, only partly covering the 2 rows of chips on either side. A bit of a messy job. I got fed up at the end and just inserted the last RAM stick with its skinny heatspreader. Not a massive difference in temps after all that as FB-DIMMs just run hot regardless.

8. SamirPD macrumors member

There was a company at one point that was selling just heatsinks for the ram.

I've noticed the heatspreader design even on the non-apple ram can have differences in temperature. I saw at least 5C difference between the two different designs when testing fbdimms in my Dell PowerEdge 2950. Something to consider if temperature/noise is an issue.

9. jonwatso macrumors newbie

jonwatso

I thought I would write a quick update for people who are curious about upgrading to 64GB of Ram in these wonderful old machines. I ended up going with Samsung Ram (same specs as mentioned above) as they seemed to be slightly better built.

The machine runs great, but like others have stated there is no real benefit for adding this much ram, 32GB is more than enough. The ram runs at about 80 Degrees Celsius 24/7 however it doesn't seem to cause the ram any harm. No Dimm errors when rebooting whilst the ram is hot (I had this issue with the 32GB ram I had installed where I would get dim errors and only some of the ram would be detected).

10. SamirPD macrumors member

This is really great to hear. :)

In my experiments with Samsung and Micron heatspreader designs with 4gb memory in my Dell PowerEdge 2950, the Samsung ran noticeably cooler; so it doesn't surprise me that it works well in the MacPro even without the genuine Apple heatspreaders. And those temps sound about right too as FBDIMMs run quite hot compared to any other type of memory--don't try to pull them out after any intense work or you'll burn yourself! :eek: