Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
IMG_0414.PNG
im looking for a new TV. I haven't kept up with new tech at all. I know I need 4 or more HDMI, i think I want HDR, I care more about black levels than viewing angle. Room is pretty bright, but I can shut the blinds and make it not so bright of course. I typically watch DitecTV, but like to watch a good HD BD movie from time to time.

This is kind of my range:

%5BURL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jjk454ss/media/IMG_0414_zpszeqxde15.png.html] [/URL]

The Visio seems like the best deal and it has the most HDMI inputs, no Tuner which is fine. I haven't been to the store to compare, of they even have them all on display anyway. But anyone familiar with these that can offer some ideas? I see new tech out there like quantum dots and other things I don't know of I need or even want.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
What do you plan on using the TV for? Obviously watching TV but do you play video games? Computer display? If so you'll want to focus on input latency. Vizio is typically pretty good in that respect but you'll want to to do research on each model because they can vary wildly.

HDR is/is going to be just as important as resolution. HDR currently comes to two varieties, Dolby Vision and HDR10. Dolby Vision is a higher spec and requires licensing fees, HDR10 is still good (10 bit vs 12 bit) and is an open standard. Since Dolby Vision is a higher spec and HDR10 is license free sets that support Dolby Vision can generally do both or can get a firmware update to support both. The opposite isn't likely to be possible since I believe the Dolby Vision hardware needs to be installed during manufacturing.

Unfortunately this is going to turn into a small war between specs. Samsung and Sony (TV's) are backers of HDR10. Vizio and LG are backers of Dolby Vision. Oddly enough Sony Pictures are on board with Dolby Vision.

However you need an HDR source to utilize the technology. Netflix and VUDU have some Dolby Vision content. You won't find Dolby Vision on Ultra HD Blu Ray (at least yet) so they are HDR10. Devices like the newly released Xbox One S only support HDR10 and its more then likely the upcoming Playstation Neo will be the same.

That said personally I don't find most Vizio displays using HDR to look as good as most Samsung displays not using it. So its not the end all be all of display technologies. A better display is just a better display and how well it can be calibrated takes precedence over what features it offers and/or supports.

Another thing is I wouldn't compare display models in store. You will just be looking at the best "eye catching" calibration which doesn't represent how it should be calibrated once in your house. You'll be better off looking on AV forums for reviews from people that know what they are talking about.

I recently bought a Samsung 65" KS9000. Low input latency was my main concern so while I wish it supported Dolby Vision there wasnt as nice of a set available with as low of latency with Dolby Vision. Dolby Vision is a tech I have no content for vs lower latency that I use every time I pick up my PS4 controller.

Reactions: jjk454ss

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Thanks for all the info. I really just do like I said, I watch Directv and once in a while a movie on blue ray. Where I live I don't see myself getting fast enough internet for 4K streaming, but I'm hoping to be able to eventually.

I wanted OLED, my current TV replaced a Panansonic Plasma and does not look near as good. But I'm OLED I think I'd be looking at a 55" based on budget.

Ill check out the P series Visio, but what's the difference between the M and the P?
[doublepost=1470396383][/doublepost]The P series sounds great, but based on pricing now it's $750 more than the M series. Is it worth it? Have you seen it on sale since I'm not in a hurry I could wait?

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I'm looking at a Samsung UN65KS8500 in Consumers Reports, it's only 2-300 more than the Visio P Series. Anyone know any details on why one over the other?

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
Vizio is crap, the old saying "you get what you pay for" applies here more than ever. They build their tv's in batches piecing them together from the most cheaply sourced parts. Just study their model numbers on a single set your are looking at, for example B-1, B-2, B-3 etc. Don't buy vizio. There is a reason they are $300 less. If it were me:
1 sony
2 sammy
3 lg
never the viz

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
So I lean towards Samsung and Sony TVs myself. So comparing those 2 specifically... the curved screen wins on looks for me every time -- HOWEVER, as you move to the sides the image becomes distorted, so they're really only functional in a narrower setup rather than a wider one. That meaning, if your room is a rectangle it would be best on the short wall rather than the long wall. You want to be on the "inside" of a smaller cone from its edges than that of a flat panel. So for my personal setups, I'd be choosing the Sony before ever even comparing what I feel has a better picture.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I'll check out Sony, thanks

I like the curved screen, and my room is setup where that would work. But I'm just not sold on it, hatebto get it and not end up liking it. Costco had a floor model Samsung I saw yesterday with a curved screen, price wasn't quite good enough or I was going to buy it.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I bought a Samsung JS9500 last year, but often wish I would have spent the extra grand on an LG OLED

but overall its a very good TV

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Do they even have OLED bigger than 55" for anything in a reasonable cost?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I'll skip offering a suggestion for a given model/maker but suggest you go to AVS Forums

http://www.avsforum.com/

Its a good place to get real info on some of the TV offerings, forums dealing with specific makers and models and more.

If you are getting a 4k TV, then based on what was said (1080 is the target play back for SAT and blue ray) you will want to know which one does a better job of playback at that resolution.

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
what I did was get the best from the year before model. if it was 2015, I got the Samsung, 4K, 3D, UN65HU8550, 2014 model. I came from a Panny Plasma and this was the best for me)of course, the OLED was best but price was crazy). the 3D is active whereas the Sony and Panny are passive. you might want to see the 3D on both to see which suits you better. I skipped curve but you may like em.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Thanks for the help. I found a Sony XBR-65X850D for $1400. It was an open box but seemed like a decent price.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
For LCD the Sony's are top of the line IMO. I have a midrange 4k Samsung, but my buddies Sony absolutely blows it away for blacks and brightness. Pretty nice to have Android TV built in as well since it is a platform that will receive timely updates vs some rando proprietary OS.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
Vizio is crap, the old saying "you get what you pay for" applies here more than ever. They build their tv's in batches piecing them together from the most cheaply sourced parts. Just study their model numbers on a single set your are looking at, for example B-1, B-2, B-3 etc. Don't buy vizio. There is a reason they are $300 less. If it were me:
1 sony
2 sammy
3 lg
never the viz

Sixcranker

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
Mine is last years model, but I got the Samsung 65" JS9000...people have said the curved tv is gimmicky. However, having owned it almost a year, I can honestly say it is an amazing television and I loved the curve on it. I've watched everything from shows like the Walking Dead and Game of Thrones, to sports and movies from my blu-ray and streaming from my AppleTV (4G) and it kicks ass on everything. I have also had my nephew over for a couple of weeks and he's played his XBOX One on it.....no hiccups or anything. It does have the ConnectOne box so there is no inputs on the actual television. At first I thought it would be a hassle, but I actually prefer the ConnectOne box. The television's processor seems to be snappier for all of the functions.

One thing I did was go to www.rtings.com to get some reviews on televisions and their ratings on what they can do, how well they render, millisecond lag, etc. They also have calibration settings you can use to calibrate your tv to the perfect picture, save from having a $250 calibration service done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.