6970M 2 GB and World of warcraft

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zepharus, Jun 23, 2011.

1. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Anyone running this at native res (2560 x 1440) with ALL settings on ultra and playable in OS X (Im hoping for a steady 60FPS)

Im looking into the viability of finally ditching the PC rig as I do not game much anymore but want the ability to game well if I so choose.

By the way Thunderbolt External Graphics? hurry up!

2. KasperH macrumors regular

KasperH

You won't get remotely near that, not even at 1920x1080
    I will test it for you, but since my i7 2600k PC with a Geforce GTX 560Ti OC'd edition, is only just acceptable at 1920x1080 i don't have high hopes for the iMac at 2560x1440.

I'll get back to you with some results...

3. iMikeT macrumors 68020

4. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

There are a few options that tend to kill performance under OSX - namely shadows, water, and possibly the lens flare effect. Everything else can be on ultra with 4x AA and 16x AF and it'll run at native rez at 60fps no problem. As long as you keep those 3 options on low (their effect is minor anyway), you will have excellent framerates.

5. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

...which, to 99.9% of the computer-using public is the same thing.

I suppose if you're a pedant for such things, you could say it's "2 GiB".

6. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Then you are doing something VERY wrong. You should be getting that and then some.

Make sure you dont have AA enabled in the driver AND WoW. It kills performance. Let WoW handle it

7. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

seriously bro? You had to post that?

8. smali macrumors regular

foreveralone.jpg

9. KasperH, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011

KasperH macrumors regular

KasperH

Hmm might have had AA enabled both places on my Win7 box. I don't have it installed, but as far as i remember orgrimar was my main issue at ultra and i did spend a lot of my time in that area at that time. Nvidia is a lot better at WoW than ATI according to some extensive testing by toms hardware a few months back: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm-directx-11-performance,2793.html

But as promised, i just tested it on my iMac, and everything at Ultra in a small uncrowded town near silithus gave me 80fps looking around and in the area of 100 looking out over the horizon . Orgrimar outside the auction house fluctuated between 30-50 depending of how many tards showing off dragons :) Durotar was a solid 100fps.

I'm quite impressed!

Though, something must be bugged with Liquid detail, Sunshafts, Particle Density and Texture Filtering and multisampling 1-8 i got zero change in performance by altering those. Turning Shadow Quality from Ultra to low doubled the framerates in orgrimar from 29 to 59 at the same spot changing back and forth.

it looked stunningly beautifu! the iMac is definitely capable of some serious WoW gaming.

10. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

was about to post my impressions, but you basically said everything i was going to say! of course in towns and raids where there are a lot of people, it'll slow down, but everything else its 60fps for me. all settings are cranked except for shadows which i off because i dont see any point in having them.

specs are 3.4ghz core i7, 256GB SSD + 1TB HD, 6970m 2GB, 16GB of ram :)

11. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Gentlemen, you have made me happy. I just ordered an iMac i7 6970 2048MB :)D) with the 1TB + 256GB SSD combo. Ships in 1-3 business days.

Color me stoked

12. Bear macrumors G3

I'm presuming you ordered it with the base 4GB or RAM? You will want 8GB at a minimum probably although it depends on what other programs you keep open when you're playing WoW. But as others will tell you, better to buy the memory elsewhere.

13. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Yes sir.

Just ordered these coming from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y4XAAK

[​IMG]

14. kioshi macrumors member

kioshi

Sorry to derail the thread but does that mean the iMac uses notebook RAM? I just ordered mine but since it was on a discount at a non-Apple Store (and here in Brazil macs are freaking expensive so I had to do it lol) I got the stock 3.1 model with 4gb of RAM, but AFAIK it comes with 2 empty slots right?

But I didn't know it used notebook memory...

15. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Did you not even look at the apple site first?

Or even search -- no wait -- look 5 threads down to see what kind of ram an iMac takes?

16. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Notebook Ram my friend.

17. nizmoz macrumors 65816

:rolleyes:

That is 2gb.

18. kioshi macrumors member

kioshi

You could be a bit polite like zepharus (BTW thanks zepharus)

And no it did not help. I haven't delved into tech stuff for awhile, tho I was able to assemble a PC in the good old days.

All Apple's site says is 'Memory: 4GB (two 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 memory'

I don't remember anymore what this means besides the speed. Also, the thread was discussing about putting 1600mhz RAM versus 1333 on a mac that came with 1066, that means nothing to me nowadays because I haven't assembled PCs for my friends in 4 years and been with a Mac Mini for 5 so I forgot everything about it.

I mean why even post this when it's obvious I had no idea until I looked at the RAM model zepharus ordered from Amazon?

19. Vanan Navarasan macrumors newbie

Hi,

did you order apple 16GB RAM or from another supplier?

20. jedolley macrumors 68000

Here's the link I used to determine memory for the iMac.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3011

I believe the key is the mention of "SO-DIMM". I realize it's not straight forward, but I am pretty sure that SO-DIMM modules indicate small, or laptop memory where as DIMM is your regular, or desktop RAM.

21. kioshi macrumors member

kioshi

Thanks for the link :)

It looks like that, browsing Amazon they always specify if it's notebook or desktop and all the 'desktop' ones have only DIMM.

But now I'm wondering (more out of curiosity) if what the OP ordered will be compatible, since the original Apple site says the iMac comes with 1333MHz (and your Apple link says the same and he said he ordered: Kingston HyperX Plug n Play 8 GB Kit (2x4GB Modules) 1600MHz'

I believe there's a thread where an iMac user tried 1333MHz RAM on his 1066MHz-using iMac and he said the Mac didn't work with 1333.

22. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

Just for some added context, I usually average 70-100fps out and about, and on the ground in cities.

In dungeons, raids and busier times, it dips a bit, but I find if you control particle effects and view distance you can stabilise things.

I'm also running 6x multisampling, which has a tiny impact on performance and is worth it.

23. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Haha, so OP there just "typing it wrong"??
    I hope this is a pure joke. 2GB is just the best way to sum up 2048MB of RAM. So i guess u used to write 1048576MB with your 1TB Hdd, huh? Lol lol

24. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

agreed. my i5-2500k OC'ed pc gaming rig with a unlocked 6950 2gb easily handles that.

25. sudosu macrumors newbie

Im getting a steady 25-50 on ultra on a bog standard 2011 21.5"
    i believe wow is much more cpu than gpu intensive. you should have no problems with the machine you mentioned