6GB mem, will it work well with MacBook pro ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by killjanuary, Jul 23, 2010.

1. killjanuary macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am planning to buy a 4GB memory for my 2010 edition macbook pro15, MC371
    It will have 6GB memory (2+4GB).

My question is that how does the MBP work with 6GB memory (64 bit snow leopard )?

Is there anyone who is using MBP with 6GB or 8GB memory? Would you please share your experience with me?

Thank you very much.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I hear it's better to use them in pairs and AFAIK they don't make 3GB sticks.
    It should work fine though.

3. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

It will work just fine. Although matching sticks of memory is always better, the 4+2 set-up works. I have mine set up this way.

4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I have this in my 2008 15" MBP. It works just fine.

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

This is very common for people to do. There should be no issue.

6. Jwink444 macrumors member

i just updated my 2010 macbook pro 17 in with another 2gb of ram. I have a 4gb ( form Crucial) and then 2gb from Apple.

when i ran a Geek Bench test after i installed the memory (total of 6gb now instead of 4gb) the overall score actually went down

computer works better now though when running VMware and all the stuff in OSx at the same time tho

Found it odd tho that score would go down on adding more memory

7. drambuie macrumors 6502a

Compare the timing latencies of the two DIMMs. For example, if the original 2GB DIMM had a Cl of 7, and the new 4GB one had a Cl of 9, the entire 6GB would run at the slower Cl 9 settings. The difference would affect benchmarks, but would be barely noticeable when running apps. Also, the first 4GB would run in dual channel mode, but the upper 2GB would run in single channel mode, about 8% - 10% slower. However, unless you're running a number of simultaneous VMs, all your apps would run in the lower 4GB.

8. killjanuary thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your replies :)

I am going to buy 4GB mem this afternoon.

9. GabooN macrumors regular

I have the mid 2009 13" MBP and I'm thinking of upgrading the RAM relatively soon. I was originally thinking of just buying 4gb (2x2gb) but then I figured, why buy the separate chips and then only want to eventually max it out at 8gb down the road anyways.

So instead I was thinking of just buying a single 4gb chip, putting that in for the time being. Should I leave one of my 1gb chips in with the 4gb? or just have the single 4gb chip by itself? I know it is best to have pairs, and my plan would be to eventually buy the same ram to max it at 8gb.

I use aperture 3 daily for processing RAW files from my DSLR and I find it chugs along when doing edits to my photos. For everything else (web, school stuff) the speed has been fine for now.

was looking at this G.Skill ram
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231296

10. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

6GB works great in my MBP, there's no need for matched pairs. It's just enough to run the three windoze VMs I need for work plus mac apps.

11. phixiuz macrumors regular

I was thinking about doing the same thing and also wondering if I could use 5GB RAM (so 1x 4GB + 1x 1GB) for the time being without any noticeable performance decrease with dropping dual channel.

I've read some stuff on the internet about dual channel vs single channel and most things I read stated that it rarely differs anything, only read a few people who said that I could maximum differ about 5% in performance.

12. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

not meaning to threadjack but it runs along the topic... which is the best 2g memory to add [to total 6] for the i5 15 mbp?:confused::confused:

13. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

MBP comes with 2 x 2GB setup, so you would need to buy a 4GB chip to get 6GB total i.e. a 4x2 setup.

14. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

oh.. so which 4gb is the best? and thanks for telling me :)

15. phixiuz macrumors regular

I got my 4GB module in the mail and now I'm running with 5GB RAM, so far so good :).