6Gb RAM on Penryn MacBook Pro??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mauricio13, Feb 5, 2009.

1. mauricio13 macrumors newbie

I have a early 2008 2.5Ghz Penryn MacBook Por, surfing accross the web I found that I could upgrade its RAM up to 6Gb (2Gb + 4Gb SODIMM).
    Is this true, are there any risks by doing so, if i decide to do it, do i just plug in the RAM or to I have to do something before?
    Have anyone done it already.

2. wesrk macrumors 6502a

3. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

I'm almost certain that only the unibody's (late 2008) MBPs can go to 6 GB RAM. Early 2008 models can have max 4 GB.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Maybe if you read the linked thread, you'd have a definitive knowledge.

5. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Well there's 14 pages and 326 posts...I read through a few pages but couldn't really get a definite answer if the early 15" 2008's could support 6 GBs...some ppl saying it's only possible for the 17" models, some saying they got it to work in SRs, some saying they couldn't get it to work with Penryns...

I have work in the morning, so I gave up trying to read the whole thing...

Have you read the entire thread? If you have, instead of throwing out useless sarcastic remarks, maybe you could be helpful and answer the question.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Of course I have. I was one of the beta testers :D

And yes it works with 6GB of RAM. 8GB will boot, but the computer will become very slow once more than 4GB is utilized.

7. Lyshen macrumors 6502

I second that 6GB works in MBP Penryn. Typing on mine that has 6GB ram.

Works perfectly fine.

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

And if you don't know, then you shouldn't say anything. It could mislead someone and only makes you look foolish in the end.

9. desantii macrumors 6502

desantii

6gb works perfectly n the early 08s as well as the current Imacs, I have it on both

10. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Thanks for clearing it up.

I figured in this case, if I was right, I'd be saving the OP some time and money...if I was wrong, then there'd be no real harm done. I did say I was not 100% certain...and from the thread that was linked, it seemed like it wasn't clear to a lot of ppl; at the time I read it, the last poster was still asking whether it was possible.

Turns out I was wrong...my mistake.