6s Case for a Farmer?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ebook, Oct 9, 2015.

1. ebook macrumors 6502

I purchased an Otterbox Defender for my new iPhone 6s because it is what I had on my 5s and it is what the store had that I felt comfortable with. That being said, the screen cover is bubbled away from the phone quite noticeably and I learned with the 5s that dust was a problem for me.

As a farmer I need it to be fairly rugged and I want screen protection. At the same time though I market directly to consumers so I'm always taking pictures for social media and I have a podcast/YouTube channel so I do record video (I have an external mic).

I have read through other case threads and I see lots of options, but I'm not sure what fits my needs. I have considered LifeProof because that is one that I've heard of, but have also seen Spigen and their screen cover things mentioned a lot. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. Appletvgk macrumors member

You can rip off the protector of the Defender and add your own glass or Zagg HDX (not glass but maybe you need the durability of a non glass protector).

3. ebook thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip! Are the plastic covers generally more "tough" than the glass?

4. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Did you see this thread yet? http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/glass-tech-by-gumdrop-cases-for-iphone-6splus-review.1923184/

They also make a case for the 6/6S. I do gardening and landscaping. I'm trying to reclaim long neglected gardens and have been fighting nasty weeds with tap roots as thick around as a man's forearm. Sometimes I end up falling on my backside in the effort to dig these out of the ground. So I don't carry my iPhone in my pockets anymore. I rely on my Apple Watch when I'm working. When I do bring my iPhone out to work with me it is kept in a folio case sat out safely on a table. I'm new to the idea of screen protectors and ruggedized cases myself. I am tempted by that glass tech case for the belt clip. But I'm still dealing with too much heavy debris to safely wear even a clipped on iPhone safely.

5. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Did you buy the correct case ? Did it have a 6S sticker on the box ?

6. Mr D macrumors 6502

What kind of farmer? ;)

7. ebook thread starter macrumors 6502

It is not a 6s case (our store had no cases specifically for 6s) ... I knew it wouldn't be an exact fit, but knowing the size differences I just figured the Otterbox tolerances would not be as exact as say the Lifeproof. Of course that was all a guess on my part ;)

8. ebook thread starter macrumors 6502

Small-scale pasture based ... We raise hogs (main enterprise) along with poultry, beef cattle, and sheep. Everything is direct marketed :)

9. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

10. ebook thread starter macrumors 6502

I hadn't seen that one yet thanks!

11. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Great. If you find something that works for you please come back and post here about it, would you?

I just checked out your blog and am going to bookmark it. Last summer my husband I bought an acre of land in agricultural reserve land. It's still sort of a suburban development so we can't keep chickens but we have chickens at our school. The land had been neglected for a year and got more out of control than you'd think could happen in a year. I've got a couple of fruit trees, a grape vine, ornamental gardens, an herb garden that is nearly obliterated by weeds. I am trying to bring it all back and expand the edible gardens and I learn as I go because my experience is limited to urban and suburban ornamental gardening. My parents grew us our vegetables on an urban lot but they've been too sick from cancer battles to help me out much now.

I also work at the school on their landscaping. I'm not in the best shape or health myself but the work is invigorating. But hard on Apple products! I'd love to have my iPhone back out closer to me, and maybe on me somewhere if I get the right rig for it.

12. Rocko9999 macrumors regular

Rocko9999

I second the Otterbox Defender with plastic screen cover removed and Tech Armor ballistic glass screen protector installed. When it's get's scratched and messed up, they will send you another one. Lifetime warranty.