6S noticeable weaker vibration than 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FPSDavid, Sep 26, 2015.

1. FPSDavid macrumors regular

FPSDavid

I went from 6 to 6S and noticed that the vibration of the 6S (taptic engine, I guess) is crazily softer/quieter than the 6.

I keep my phones on vibrate 24/7 and can generally hear/feel the vibration when my phone is on a table or hard surface, but now its so quiet I've been missing notifications...

Is it just my phone or is this a thing?

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

That's a thing. It's no longer as violent of a vibrate as it was before.

3. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

That is a result of the Taptic Engine. I do find it funny though that people are complaining about not being able to hear the vibrations anymore, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of vibrating? Perhaps a text tone should be used instead?

4. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

It's using the same Taptic Engine from the Apple Watch. The biggest difference is that it's almost silent. You can feel it if it's in your hand or pocket, but are far less likely to hear it buzz.

This is a good thing. The whole idea behind using vibration is that you don't want your phone to make noise. Most phone vibrators are so loud it often defeats this and prevents you from using vibration in quiet environments.

That said, judging by this and other posts, a lot of people have gotten used to using vibration as a slightly quieter than normal alert sound. It's probably time to change that behavior. If you need auditory feedback and find the default sounds too obtrusive, you can easily customize them to use milder, quieter sounds. This is a much better solution than counting on the vibration to notify you when the phone is not on your person.

5. stevefo macrumors regular

stevefo

I liked the vibration better on the 6. I was less likely to miss a call or text while it was in my pocket. I'll adjust, don't have a choice.

6. Applewatcher1234 macrumors newbie

Taptic Engine.... way better than older vibrate mechanism in the iPhone 6

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Maybe slightly weaker, but it was much louder than previous iPhones - now it's got back to being quieter, which is want you'd want from a vibration only mode, to vibrate but be quiet

8. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

It took a while to get used to the watch but it became easier to notice as time progressed. I have a feeling the phone will be like that. I'm glad it's not loud. My coworker's phone is so loud you can hear it two rooms away.

9. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502

This is actually one of my favourite changes - I didn't like how 'violent' it was before! Seems more consistent - and as others pointed out, the whole point in vibration is that your phone doesn't make an audible tone.

10. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

As an aside, the people in the apartment directly above mine like to set their phone on a wooden table. When it rings, the vibration is so loud I can very clearly hear it in my apartment. If they have the window open, I can hear it outdoors, a good halfway down the block. I can't hear the actual ringtone half as well. Low quality "violent" vibration motors have gotten a bit out of hand.

11. Poob Bubes macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

I've noticed there is no vibration at all on 6s when Siri is activated. I just tested on a 6 and 5s and both of those vibrate. Is this intentional or a bug?

12. Applewatcher1234 macrumors newbie

Intentional and not a bug (;

13. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

Agreed...I don't need my phone bouncing on my glass table, I hate that...lol.

I like the new System, similar to my watch

14. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I was wondering about this. The vibration on the 6/6+ is excessive, more often that not I hear the vibration over the notification sound.

15. rarebeauty macrumors 6502

rarebeauty

I love it! I hated the one on the 6 plus. Super loud and obnoxious for no reason. I'm glad they got it right again.

16. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

On my phone, Siri seems to be so immediate that as soon as the screen changes, you can start speaking. I assume this is why the sound was removed.

17. Wise87 macrumors 6502

Here is a good video with details between the 6 and 6s.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I find I hear it less but feel it more. Imo it has vastly improved.

19. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

It's certainly different - but in a good way. I think the best way to describe it is as being refined. I don't want to hear it on vibrate anyway so I'm very happy with it.

20. misterwilson macrumors member

Charlotte, NC // Philadelphia, PA // New York, NY
    I love it on my watch and so far I like it on my phone. But it's going to be impossible to find my wife's phone in the house now.

21. aristobrat macrumors G4

Try Find my IPhone from iCloud.com. It has an option to play a sound on the iPhone, even if it's set to vibrate only.

22. vitog123 macrumors 6502

one of the nicest improvements to the new phone. no longer sounds like a tin-can cheap vibrate/rattle.

23. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I hate the previous vibration motor of the 6 Plus every time I plug it in at work.

There is a very loud buzz buzz noise which is easily audible by people around me.

The new Taptic Engine of the 6s is basically silent. I love it.

24. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Agreed. I had my phone in my pocket the other week talking to someone at work and my group chat kept going off. I forgot to "vibrate on silent" and it was basically as loud as the conversation lol.

25. nordique macrumors 6502a

Taptic Engine on the 6s / 6s+ is a huge upgrade over the older iPhones

One of the many pleasant surprises of the new device for me