6s Plus Got Hot and Died

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MJedi, Oct 13, 2015.

1. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

So my wife told me her Rose Gold 6s Plus suddenly got very hot to touch, and then died. She let it cool, and plugged it in, but it didn't come back on. When I came home, I confirmed that it wasn't charging at all. I have an appointment with the local Apple Store. We'll see what happens next.

Side note, we have 4 Apple Stores within 10-30 miles, and they all have no openings until Saturday or later! Is it a shortage of Genius people, or more people needing more support for iPhones? I remember back in the day when I could make an appointment on the same day. It's a bit annoying. So now she's without her 6s Plus. Fortunately, I didn't sell her her 6 Plus yet.

Anyone had the same trouble with their 6s? My Space Gray 6s Plus hasn't had issues so far. We both received our iPhones at launch.

2. Jayjew macrumors 6502

Jayjew

3. iNinja08 macrumors regular

iNinja08

While at the Apple Store today in AZ a lady came in stating her iPhone 6s had over heated and shut off a couple times..

4. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

Samsung chip here too. Mine gets hot on medium tasks but then I don't do any intensive tasks other than heavy browsing and social media. It's enough to make the Samsung chip become warmer than my 5c on the same tasks

5. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Don't you just have to force a restart and it will stop doing that?

6. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Have you tried pushing the home button and the power button simultaneously for about 10+ seconds and see if you can get the apple logo appears? This happened to my iPod touch and home button and power button did the trick.

7. iNinja08 macrumors regular

iNinja08

Not sure, hasn't happened to me yet

8. CEmajr macrumors 601

9. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Happened to me but my phone didn't get hot. Just lagged up and froze then turned off and wouldn't turn back on no matter what I did. There wasn't any reservations for about a week so I just walked into the Apple Store and told them I wasn't leaving without a replacement.

10. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

If they had the same issues I had no a force restart won't even help. The genius who looked at my phone tried reinstalling the OS and kept giving her error so they just replaced my phone.

11. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

It just goes to show that these high frequency Samsung chips can heat up like laptop CPUs when pushed to the max and will cause motherboard frying. It's probably over 100 degrees Celsius on the die while it's about 60 degrees Celsius on the surface of the back

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

All this pontification is proof that people STILL don't know how to interpret the facts about which chip is "better." Hint: neither, really.

As for heat distribution:

[​IMG]

The difference is barely 2°F, hardly enough to mean the difference between a phone dying for good or not. And have we all forgotten that this is supposed to happen long before the phone gets to the point of failure?

[​IMG]

Bottom line: OP's issue probably has nothing to do with who made the A9 chip in it. IT's either a software lockup, or a component failure unrelated to the chip. It happens now and then.

13. Jayjew macrumors 6502

Jayjew

That test was rigged. Also, the person who said TSCM is kidding. They gave that guy the best Samsung chip they had to cover damage.

14. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

There you go, bringing common sense into the discussion. :D

15. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

16. MJedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

MJedi

So I tried this, and the 6s Plus restarted. It seems to be okay now. I never thought of doing this because it never woke up or beeped when I plugged it in. I'm still going to take it to the Genius Bar to express my concern that the heat might have caused damage inside. It was too hot to touch. But thanks for the suggestion!

Now that you mention it, my wife did mention she couldn't even touch the Home Button/Touch ID. Is this a known issue?

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Sounds to me to be another hardware fault and has nothing to do with which chip you have. It is a brand new phine with brand new software and things like this will happen. Blaming it on the chip is a shot in the dark.

18. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Yes it's a known issue affecting approximately 50% of users judging from a poll in another thread. Hopefully the next software update will fix it but until then a lot of folk are switching off Touch ID. The sensor gets so hot that the phone switches off, signalling that the circuit is becoming triggered when it shouldn't be. It's also causing lag immediately upon unlocking the phone for some people.

19. StefanWolves macrumors regular

This is a very common software fault (we hope). There is a whole thread on here dedicated to it. It's happened to me twice now. Forcing a restart as mentioned above fixes the issue, what chip you have doesn't have a bearing on this

20. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Did you have a case on. Some cases cause overheating

21. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

What proof do you have to back that claim up?

22. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

If you have 4 stores so close to your house, why don't you want into he store and explain your problem and they will probably let you be see, although you might have a wait.

23. Jayjew macrumors 6502

Jayjew

None. A lot of other people are saying the same too.

24. MJedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

MJedi

It's the Apple Leather Case. I doubt their own case would cause it.

As I mentioned above, I'm still going to take it to the Genius Bar.

Let's leave the chip conversation out of this thread please. :cool:

25. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Other people repeating incorrect information, doesn't make it the truth all of a sudden.