Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
So my wife told me her Rose Gold 6s Plus suddenly got very hot to touch, and then died. She let it cool, and plugged it in, but it didn't come back on. When I came home, I confirmed that it wasn't charging at all. I have an appointment with the local Apple Store. We'll see what happens next.

Side note, we have 4 Apple Stores within 10-30 miles, and they all have no openings until Saturday or later! Is it a shortage of Genius people, or more people needing more support for iPhones? I remember back in the day when I could make an appointment on the same day. It's a bit annoying. So now she's without her 6s Plus. Fortunately, I didn't sell her her 6 Plus yet.

Anyone had the same trouble with their 6s? My Space Gray 6s Plus hasn't had issues so far. We both received our iPhones at launch.

iNinja08

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2015
While at the Apple Store today in AZ a lady came in stating her iPhone 6s had over heated and shut off a couple times..

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
Samsung chip here too. Mine gets hot on medium tasks but then I don't do any intensive tasks other than heavy browsing and social media. It's enough to make the Samsung chip become warmer than my 5c on the same tasks

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Have you tried pushing the home button and the power button simultaneously for about 10+ seconds and see if you can get the apple logo appears? This happened to my iPod touch and home button and power button did the trick.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
So my wife told me her Rose Gold 6s Plus suddenly got very hot to touch, and then died. She let it cool, and plugged it in, but it didn't come back on. When I came home, I confirmed that it wasn't charging at all. I have an appointment with the local Apple Store. We'll see what happens next.

Side note, we have 4 Apple Stores within 10-30 miles, and they all have no openings until Saturday or later! Is it a shortage of Genius people, or more people needing more support for iPhones? I remember back in the day when I could make an appointment on the same day. It's a bit annoying. So now she's without her 6s Plus. Fortunately, I didn't sell her her 6 Plus yet.

Anyone had the same trouble with their 6s? My Space Gray 6s Plus hasn't had issues so far. We both received our iPhones at launch.

Happened to me but my phone didn't get hot. Just lagged up and froze then turned off and wouldn't turn back on no matter what I did. There wasn't any reservations for about a week so I just walked into the Apple Store and told them I wasn't leaving without a replacement.

Reactions: 5105973

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Don't you just have to force a restart and it will stop doing that?

If they had the same issues I had no a force restart won't even help. The genius who looked at my phone tried reinstalling the OS and kept giving her error so they just replaced my phone.

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
It just goes to show that these high frequency Samsung chips can heat up like laptop CPUs when pushed to the max and will cause motherboard frying. It's probably over 100 degrees Celsius on the die while it's about 60 degrees Celsius on the surface of the back

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
She probably has a Samsung Chip.

She probably has the TMSC chip.

All this pontification is proof that people STILL don't know how to interpret the facts about which chip is "better." Hint: neither, really.

As for heat distribution:

iPhone_6s_Plus-Skin_Temperature_Comparison.jpg

The difference is barely 2°F, hardly enough to mean the difference between a phone dying for good or not. And have we all forgotten that this is supposed to happen long before the phone gets to the point of failure?

iphone%20temperature.png

Bottom line: OP's issue probably has nothing to do with who made the A9 chip in it. IT's either a software lockup, or a component failure unrelated to the chip. It happens now and then.

Jayjew

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2015
Minneapolis
All this pontification is proof that people STILL don't know how to interpret the facts about which chip is "better." Hint: neither, really.

The difference is barely 2°F, hardly enough to mean the difference between a phone dying for good or not. And have we all forgotten that this is supposed to happen long before the phone gets to the point of failure?

iphone%20temperature.png

Bottom line: OP's issue probably has nothing to do with who made the A9 chip in it. IT's either a software lockup, or a component failure unrelated to the chip. It happens now and then.
That test was rigged. Also, the person who said TSCM is kidding. They gave that guy the best Samsung chip they had to cover damage.

Reactions: madKIR

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

iphone%20temperature.png

There you go, bringing common sense into the discussion. :D

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
Have you tried pushing the home button and the power button simultaneously for about 10+ seconds and see if you can get the apple logo appears? This happened to my iPod touch and home button and power button did the trick.
So I tried this, and the 6s Plus restarted. It seems to be okay now. I never thought of doing this because it never woke up or beeped when I plugged it in. I'm still going to take it to the Genius Bar to express my concern that the heat might have caused damage inside. It was too hot to touch. But thanks for the suggestion!

Sounds like the Touch ID fault to me.
Now that you mention it, my wife did mention she couldn't even touch the Home Button/Touch ID. Is this a known issue?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
So I tried this, and the 6s Plus restarted. It seems to be okay now. I never thought of doing this because it never woke up or beeped when I plugged it in. I'm still going to take it to the Genius Bar to express my concern that the heat might have caused damage inside. It was too hot to touch. But thanks for the suggestion!

Now that you mention it, my wife did mention she couldn't even touch the Home Button/Touch ID. Is this a known issue?

Yes it's a known issue affecting approximately 50% of users judging from a poll in another thread. Hopefully the next software update will fix it but until then a lot of folk are switching off Touch ID. The sensor gets so hot that the phone switches off, signalling that the circuit is becoming triggered when it shouldn't be. It's also causing lag immediately upon unlocking the phone for some people.

StefanWolves

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2012

This is a very common software fault (we hope). There is a whole thread on here dedicated to it. It's happened to me twice now. Forcing a restart as mentioned above fixes the issue, what chip you have doesn't have a bearing on this

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
If you have 4 stores so close to your house, why don't you want into he store and explain your problem and they will probably let you be see, although you might have a wait.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
Did you have a case on. Some cases cause overheating
It's the Apple Leather Case. I doubt their own case would cause it.

If you have 4 stores so close to your house, why don't you want into he store and explain your problem and they will probably let you be see, although you might have a wait.
As I mentioned above, I'm still going to take it to the Genius Bar.

Let's leave the chip conversation out of this thread please. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.