6S Plus insanely hot since 9.1 update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kis, Oct 22, 2015.

1. kis macrumors 65816

Updated my 6S Plus to 9.1 yesterday. Ever since, it's been getting extremely hot in the area around the back camera. It's so hot, I can barely touch it. It'll cool down quickly when the display's off but gets hot again as soon as I use it - doesn't matter which app is on - simply browsing the web on Safari is enough to get it glowing hot. Battery life is also total crap now (went down from 100% to 75 in less than 20 minutes). The battery settings don't show anything unusual.

Anyone else been seeing this? I already did a full reset and set it up as a new phone, still has the same problem.

2. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I've heard that from my early adopter friends.

As usual I will wait, read about what others are experiencing and avoid it until the first rev arrives.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Something went wrong as my update went without anything like this. If this was happening to many the forum would be on fire!

4. kis thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmm, off to the Apple Store?

5. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

MuGeN PoWeR

try restoring it first and doing a fresh install. I noticed mine getting hot but i thought it must be indexing files and everything. but now its fine.

6. kis thread starter macrumors 65816

Tried that already - how long would it be indexing stuff typically?

7. DynamicSausage macrumors 6502

DynamicSausage

Yesterday my 6S Plus did get a little warm around the back, near the sleep/wake button and I noticed some pretty worrying battery drop. I reset the phone there and then and it was a lot better, although I didn't really use it much after that. Still seems to be a little warm at times but not hot and the battery is doing okay.

It's strange because this was an awful problem with the 9.0 beta on my 5S but as soon as I went to 9.1 beta it was flawless all of the time and was flawless on the 6S too. Very strange that the final release is causing more issues than the latest beta version. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

8. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

MuGeN PoWeR

it should take an hour or so.

9. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I updated my 6 Plus late last night and everything went very smoothly. I'm not seeing any issues from the 9.1 update at all so far.

10. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

11. melman101 macrumors 68030

12. kis thread starter macrumors 65816

Left it plugged in over night and it's still hot to the touch now, even though it was just sitting there over night. I don't know what happened, but 9.1 seems to have fried it (quite literally).

13. ftlum macrumors regular

After updating my 6s+, I could swear that the back of the phone is getting hot now. Hopefully a reset will fix this. If not, and I want to confirm I'm not just imagining things, how do I downgrade back to 9.02?

14. rsnhakan macrumors member

Try resetting it in iTunes. Put your phone in dfu mode.

Don't forget to make a backup.

15. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

"glowing hot" would cause 3rd degree burns. My suggestion is to go visit the Apple store instead of posting here since your phone is clearly a health hazard and could cause bodily harm. Why are you posting here?

Now I understand the stupid messages when I call a doctor that says if you have a medical emergency, call 911.

16. kis thread starter macrumors 65816

Why am I posting here? Because my phone was completely fine until I installed 9.1. I wanted to know whether other people also have the issue - which would mean it's probably a software problem. Anyway, I do have a Store appointment today.

I already did a full factory reset and installed it as a new phone - the problem went away but returned yesterday evening.

17. Anand953 macrumors regular

Hope this is a one of case.. I am yet to update to 9.1. Waiting to see if any other issues are reported

18. doboy macrumors 68000

We would've seen lot more people posting if this was a problem for others

19. ftlum, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015

ftlum macrumors regular

My phone seems fine now. Played a few hours of video and it didn't get hot. It was definitely warm right after the update, though.

Edit-- I spoke too soon. It's warm again. I'll try going back to iOS 9.02.

20. Genkakuzai macrumors regular

21. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

9.1 is so hot on my 6s plus that it has lowered my sperm count and I don't have to worry about birth control now :)

22. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I noticed this same thing after helping my daughter set up her new 6S. Didn't know it it was during the restore or the update to 9.1. But her phone was definitely hot. She hasn't said anything after that so I'm assuming it was only during that heavy processing.

23. Stirlo, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015

Stirlo Suspended

Stirlo

6S (non plusse) with the Samsung a9 here, same thing. Can definitely tell where the CPU is now! The whole right side of the device has been getting worryingly hot since 9.1, as it coincides with the weather really heating up its a potential nightmare. Had to take it out of my pocket last week it was that hot, now thinking a trip to Apple might be worthwhile..

I've definitely noticed a hit on battery life too, if you check your settings is Siri now burning a lot of power? Since 9.1 I think there may be a bug wit Siri and a couple of watch apps that I have actually deleted, still chewing background power! After multiple resets and airplane mode.

In the house there are 4 other devices on iOS 9.1, no problems on them (5S, iPad Airs 1&2, iPad mini 2.

Have been holding off resetting as I really want to keep all my health data but I think it's time to try - was an upgrade from 6 and running the same restore which is always a recipe for disaster/weirdness.

Forgot to add, pre 9.1 batteries of phone and watch would sort of be close to each other, right now it says (Siri used 36% wtf!, in 4 hours too)
    : 48% and dropping rapidly, very hot right now. Not running any thing except looking at "Today"
    ⌚️: 79%

24. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Updated 6s Plus no problems, have detected no additional heat and battery life is great!