6S prone to scratching?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ughbrandon, Oct 21, 2015.

1. ughbrandon macrumors member

I know that the 6S screen is stronger than the previous models but im noticing the complete opposite??
    I've had my 6S since launch day and it seems that literally anything can scratch the screen. Within the first day of having the phone I had a scratch on the screen that I could see and feel, and then the second day another, Getting frustrated, i got an otter box case that day. With the otterbox case on, the with the protective screen protecter on, Im still getting scratches on the phone, and they're getting pretty big?? Obviously i think its because of something in the case rubbing on the screen but theres nothing there?? I don't know what I'm asking, but im just very frustrated and disappointed in the phone so far.

2. Rackness01 macrumors member

All object when abraded with harder objects scratch. If a sapphire crystal on a wrist watch can get scratches on it(and they do) a softer hardened glass material most certainly will. Every phone I ever owned before I decided screen protectors were a must for me wound up with scratches on the screen sooner or later. I now use glass screen protectors and yes they can scratch, if so I replace them no more scratches

3. Allin44 macrumors 6502

Handle your phone properly. The screen is not prone to scratching. I don't baby my 6S+ and there isn't a single scratch to be found.

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

just remember its not the screen scratching, its the coating and I have read cases of ppl with defective coating.

5. ftlum macrumors regular

The new glass (basically gorilla glass 4) is mainly better against shattering compared to the prior version. It's only slightly better against scratching.

6. I7guy macrumors G5

I have an anti-glare screen protector on my 6s. I dropped my 5s on rocks screen down on rocks. Case was scratched, screen protector was gouged. When I replaced the screen protector the screen was undamaged. I think the screen protectors are worth every penny.

7. sohanangal macrumors member

What are the screen protectors compatible with 6S so as to not interfere with the 3D Touch? Thanks!

8. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Is it possible to scratch the screen in an Otterbox with a screen protector? Not following how that could happen if installed correctly.

9. jaybar macrumors 6502

jaybar

I too would like to know if there are screen protectors that are both easy to apply and work with 3D Touch.

10. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

There is a lot of discussion of SPs that are compatible with the 6s' over in the accessories forum. http://forums.macrumors.com/forums/iphone-accessories.108/

11. brianjsw macrumors member

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that the glass on the 6S is more resistant to shattering at the cost of actually being slightly less resistant to scratching.

12. roeiz macrumors 6502a

roeiz

i took real good care of the screen waiting for my SP,
    but today discovered one little ugly deep scratch :( :( :(
    damn!!!
    it literally breaks my heart.
    (and i guess a real good care would only be to put a SP when you get the phone).

13. Allin44 macrumors 6502

If there's a deep scratch of any kind, you did not take real good care of it. It takes actual forceful contact with another hard object or surface to scratch the screen. It's not rocket science. Not trying to be a jerk, but come on. Don't phrase things as if it's a fault in the device.

14. roeiz macrumors 6502a

roeiz

i didn't say it was the screen fault..
    i just wish i would have read how more delicate the 6S screen was..
    didn't stumble upon this until after i got the scratch.
    it would have made me take extra good care of it.
    i mean, my HTC M7 was handled carelessly for 2 years without a SP
    and barely got 1 -2 of these scratches.
    the ones that you feel with your finger nails :(

15. Aceroller macrumors member

I use my 6S naked, and place it face down on soft to medium had surfaces, I'm not very careful with it, and i even had it in a pocket with keys for a bit. No scratches at all, not even any little "micro scratches".

16. jaybar macrumors 6502

jaybar

I am amazed about how some who post here, react to imperfections that arise in their phones over time. It is for some, almost as if the phone is an extension of one's self or physical being. This also gets played out in attitudes regarding Apple, that definitely have a "locoparentis" flavor.

17. roeiz macrumors 6502a

roeiz

exactly, that was my state of mind, that i should handle it carefully, even guite a lot more than you did..
    and yet i got a deep scratch. so it's delicate is all.
    after a few days it's toooo quick.

18. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Glass screen protector. That's the answer

19. roeiz macrumors 6502a

roeiz

i hope this scratch won't ruin the SP installment with some bubble..

20. ziggy3055 macrumors member

I got a couple of small scratches wiping off the rain from my phone. I don't care though, it's not noticeable when the screen is on and they are tiny, but if I looked for them I could find them.

21. Zafla macrumors member

Zafla

I've had my 6s Plus since launch day and no scratches so far. I know accidents can happen. I have a case on but no screen protector. If I'm gonna put it in my pocket, I pick one that has nothing else in it. I don't lay it face down on any surface besides my bed. I think it's fairly simple to keep it blemish free unless it has a defect straight out of the box. Some people are too reckless with their phones but you can't help everyone. Hopefully you can take your phone to Apple and get a replacement.

22. roeiz macrumors 6502a

roeiz

seems similar to what i did..
    well, it's my fault no matter how you look at it, so i'm stuck with it (new screen 150$? too much i'm afraid)

23. Aceroller macrumors member

Are you saying that rain drops scratched your phone screen?

24. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

Is probably the coating. Last year when the iPhone 6 came out I had some coating scratches on the screen a day after use. Then another appeared. It was like butter. So I rushed to Amazon and brought a screen protector.

That was the first phone I felt like needed one. Then in January I got a 6 plus but the coating wasn't as scratch prone as the 6.

25. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

That was my experience, never used a screen protector until the 6 plus, which got micro scratches like crazy. Never needed one before but need one now as micro scratches in the coating drive me crazy.