7.0 Broke Home Share TV Shows

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by StPatty33, Sep 28, 2014.

1. StPatty33, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014

StPatty33 macrumors 6502

StPatty33

Hey, all!

I have 3 ATV's: a 720p and 2 1080p's. They're the center of my family's media universe, with all our movies and TV shows backed up on my home computer.

After updating one of the 1080p units to the new software version, we found that while most of our files still work, there's a particular season of a favorite TV show from which none of the episodes will play. The show is in 1080p and was backed up with Handbrake. The files worked previously, and still work on the other ATV's running the old software.

I was wondering if any of you have had a similar issue? This is causing me to consider other brands of streaming devices for the first time ever. Thanks for the read!

2. phoenixXx macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem, some files are playable but a majority are not. Seems to mostly affect TV shows and Music Videos for me (all 1080p). I rolled back the update to iOS 6 and this fixed it. You can download older firmware and re-install via iTunes.

I'm hoping that Apple releases a fix for this soon but so far you are the only other person who seems affected by this.

3. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

That's odd. The majority of my movies were done using Handbrake and I'm not having any issues. Of course, I haven't tried to play every single movie. What is the exact error? Is there a pattern perhaps with the ones that are unplayable? Encoded using a certain version of Handbrake or with different settings? I suspect it might be due to an older file format that Apple is no longer supporting.

4. StPatty33 thread starter macrumors 6502

StPatty33

Just tested a bunch more of my video files and found several more TV shows with issues (but none of the movies yet, 1080p or not). They were backed up at different times (using different versions and settings of Handbrake), yet have the same issue. Some of them are lower than 1080p, but those lower than 1080p had secondary audio attached to them, so that could be part of the issue now too.

I'll have to research how to roll it back, I've never had to do that. Very lame, since some of the other UI updates I really liked. May seriously consider looking at the other boxes now--this sucks.

----------

They were all transcoded into M4V, using various versions and settings in Handbrake over a couple years. Some are 1080p, but I found a couple seasons that were not that are not working. They're just giving the standard error when you try to play them "An error occurred while loading..." They all still work on my bedroom AppleTV that hasn't been updated.

5. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I doubt it has anything to do with the resolution but whenever I get the "An error occurred while loading..." error either there is a connectivity problem between the AT3 to Computer or Computer to NAS, or the physical file has been updated/removed on the NAS and iTunes has a reference to the old file handle. I would first try to restart all devices and if the problem is still occurring I would delete the file definition from your iTunes library and then re-add it.

6. StPatty33 thread starter macrumors 6502

StPatty33

Thanks. I'll try removing the files from iTunes and re-adding them, but I've restarted everything and as I mentioned, the files will play as we speak on my other non-updated ATV's, so there's no issue with the file location or communication (and the ATV that is updated will play other files, so again, no general communication issue).

I spoke with Apple support and as I expected, there's nothing they can do except pass the info on and hope there may be a fix in the future.

7. StPatty33 thread starter macrumors 6502

StPatty33

Hey PhoenixXx!
    How were you able to roll back? I downloaded the appropriate file from http://ipswdownloader.com/download-apple-tv-ipsw-files.php and connected my ATV to my compy, attempted to restore through iTunes by holding shift and pointing to that file instead, and when it tries to verify with Apple it errors out. I know for sure it's the right file because I tried some other versions and they all say not compatible with device, whereas the one referenced above doesn't give that message. Any help would be great!

For the time being I've just told all my ATV's to not auto-update, and switched my bedroom ATV w/my living room ATV, so at least the living room isn't gimped any more. Hopefully they'll release a patch soon.

8. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Very strange indeed and Apple's response doesn't sound very reassuring. Without having access to the actual file in question, passing on the info isn't going to solve your problem.

9. phoenixXx macrumors newbie

Literally did it the same way you describe. No errors thrown back though. Have you tried doing it a few times? Make sure to turn off auto-update though once you roll-back because mine updated again!!!

10. StPatty33 thread starter macrumors 6502

StPatty33

So I've taken a bit of time to go through files, and none of my movies are messed up, but about 90% of my TV Shows won't work now, and it's all season-specific. If one episode for the season doesn't work, none of them do, and if one does work, they all do.

I may call support to give additional info (that it appears to be specific to shows). There's about 800 files broken now that worked before--good job, Apple!

11. cndawes, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014

cndawes macrumors newbie

Argh ... Just found I've the same issue on at least 1 movie the kids like to watch repeatedly :(

File plays fine in iTunes on PC but wont play on ATV anymore ...

12. cndawes macrumors newbie

The files that no longer play on the ATV also now don't play on my iPad that has iOS 8...

Looks like they've updated some of the codecs and for some reason they balk at these files...

Very, very miffed :(:(:(

13. cndawes macrumors newbie

Looks like Apple have stopped signing the 6.2 files so downgrade is impossible. If you have a 1st gen ATV3 then you might be able to go back to 5.3 as that does still appear to be signed but that's probably not desirable either...

Check https://ipsw.me/all#AppleTV31 for what's still being signed...

14. Alrescha, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014

Alrescha macrumors 68020

I apologize for being contrarian; out of curiosity I sat down in front of my Apple TV and played the first episode of every season from every TV show I have (from Babylon 5 to Weeds). Some of these are purchased, some of them ripped with Handbrake, some of them downloaded, some of them locally recorded with an EyeTV. They have been acquired over the past five or ten years.

All of these files played properly. I suspect there is more to this puzzle than just the latest software upgrade.

A.

15. phoenixXx macrumors newbie

Spoken with someone in Apple support and they confirmed that Apple isn't allowing roll backs to iOS6. He also said that the Apple TV not playing certain files is absolutely nothing to do with iOS7... even though they worked again when I rolled it back the first time!
    I've had to roll back to the only iOS still being signed by Apple. They were completely unhelpful and flat out denied there was an issue. He got quite pissy when I explained that the content was my own rips etc.

Really don't hold much hope for this being resolved any time soon

16. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Agreed, the focus should be more on identifying the commonalities between the files that won't play and less on the 7.0 update and the iOS 8. From what I gather, the problematic files for StPatty33 and phoenixXx were all content they ripped. StPatty33 used Handbrake. phoenixXx used what? How about cndawes, where did your movie originate from?

17. brucewayne macrumors member

You might try running a few pieces of content through Subler or Smart Converter. Its possible that it isn't the codec but the way it is packaged that is throwing off your ATV.

If you select the pass through instead of re-encoding it will keep your video and audio files intact but will just repackage as a new .m4v/.mp4 file.

Over the years Handbrake has made some odd files in my collection. Go back 5 or 6 years when they were decoding dolby digital to 6 channel AAC (before ATV supported Dolby Digital), or when one of the presets would accidentally have the wrong h.264 Profile, or when you could create a larger than 4gb file without the flag)

There are a lot of people contributing to the HB project and there have been some nightly releases with odd bugs. Its happened to me where I used a certain version for a ton of batch encodes, upgraded to a new release for the next batch, then finding out much later that something was weird with some of the movies and not knowing which version created it (your mention that certain seasons of a show not working made me think of that scenario)

18. phoenixXx macrumors newbie

the fact is that all these files played perfectly before the update so why shouldn't the focus be on the update

19. Alrescha, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

Alrescha macrumors 68020

Because if, for instance, the files do not conform to the Apple TV specification, they *might* play for some releases and not for others.

A.

20. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Because that is not how you troubleshoot, as you have already experienced, Apple is not going to be able to help you, nor can anyone else, without you supplying any info other than saying the new update broke my ATV.

21. StPatty33 thread starter macrumors 6502

StPatty33

All files I own (1,000+) were done through handbrake, some split and repackaged through Clown BD in case of subtitles, tagged through Meta X. All movies, all shows (all back-ups of my personal collection of course). Every movie I have works fine. The TV show seasons that don't work have no correlation to handbrake version, approximate date ripped, etc. The only correlation I can find is that they're all TV shows.

22. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I am not a user of Meta X, is it possible that it tags TV shows in an unusual way? Might be testable, in that you could run one through Subler or some other program and give it new tags.

A.

23. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Well, cndawes seems to be having trouble with a movie while it appears to be isolated to some TV shows for you and phoenixXx. Can you list a few of the TV shows which are no longer working and ones that still are? Also, please indicate whether they originated from a DVD or Blu-ray.

24. phoenixXx macrumors newbie

seems like the problem is definately MetaX, I went back through some of the recent tv shows I added and MetaX creates an additional chapter track when it tags the files, i removed this through Subler on mac and everything works perfectly now. Have to go through a few hundred episodes to remove them all but at least its not an issue with the encoding :eek:

25. cndawes macrumors newbie

So some super wierdness ... I've re-encoded the offending movie from the BD with a newer version of HB and it still doesn't play !!!

I run everything through MetaX on the PC so will now try that out, although it will be mighty strange if that's the issue as it doesn't seem to effect anything else I've done recently ...