7.1 keyboard looks strange...

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by AppleUSA, Mar 11, 2014.

1. AppleUSA macrumors member

Is it just me or does the keyboard in iOS 7.1 look ugly, blurry and maybe low-res?? Just a knee jerk reaction...

2. Altis macrumors 68000

Yep. They've made the text bolder, so it looks less crisp.

Interesting that they enhanced the contrast on the keyboard text, which was already much more visible than the grey-on-grey text you see all over iOS 7.

3. AppleUSA thread starter macrumors member

I agree. I miss Steve Jobs, square buttons and cheesy textures!

4. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

It was more than that. There was some pretty good science behind the old <iOS7 keyboard.

The old keyboard was shaded to make the buttons appear rounded, with the highest point at the center of the button. When an animal, including a human, reaches out for something *very quickly* like in the case of typing on screen, the brain has a tendency to guide towards the closest point. When the brain looked at the old keyboard, the closest point was "highest part" or the center of the key. Now with flatness, there is no highest point so the brain lets the finger go for any portion of the key, and so it is more likely to hit a different key. I'm sure Apple knows (or at least used to know) about this, it is pretty old science, but I guess they fired the folks that knew about this stuff, or it was just plan form winning over function in this case.

This is why so many are complaining the old iOS keyboard was more accurate. It *was* more accurate in the sense it automatically make your brain more accurate.

Really though I just wish they'd pay Swype whatever they want and give us Swype. Having my typing speed cut in half is a pretty big penalty I've paid switching from Android to iOS and going back to peck-peck-peck in the process.

5. Deguello macrumors 6502

Doesn't all of that kind of presume you are looking at the keyboard rather than the output of the keyboard?

I'm far from a world class typist or texter, but even I rarely look at the keyboard, I look where the text is being output, especially when not using symbols.

6. AppleUSA thread starter macrumors member

Wow! That is something I've never considered, thanks for the outstanding insight! Makes me REALLY miss the classic board now.

I also agree, that I hardly ever look directly at the keyboard, but wouldn't it be nice for it to be more precise?

7. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

The iOS 7.0 keyboard was the same as it was in the first betas (when the overall font was much thinner). By the time iOS 7 went GM, the system font was stepped up from Helvetica Neue Light to Helvetica Neue Regular. And in other places, where the font was Regular was bumped up to Medium, and etc. I guess they thought upping the weight of the keyboard font would make it fit in with the rest of the system.

8. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

No. It doesn't.

9. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

Yes, the keyboard text appears to be fuzzy/blurry. I noticed this immediately and came onto this board to see if others were saying the same thing...and it was the top thread on this page.

10. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

I miss Ultra Light from 7.0 beta 1, I think that looked sharp and beautiful.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Is all this for iPhone or iPad or some other device or all of them?

12. MatthewAMEL macrumors 6502

MatthewAMEL

How about the change to the caps key?

It used to be quite obvious when it was not selected, selected for one letter and selected for all caps.

Now it always looks selected. I've been using the new keyboard for less than 24 hours and constantly think caps is already selected.

Then when you actually select it for one key, it changes to look exactly like the 'delete' key!

And has anyone selected 'all caps' now? Same color as 'off' but with a tiny line underneath it?

There are some incredibly stupid design choices in 7.1

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

When it's off it's gray like the delete key. When it's on it's white, like the rest of the letter keys, and when it's locked, it's white (as when it's on) with a line under it.

14. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

This.

Maybe it's how my brain works but it makes sense to me.

All of the keys that are "off" (return, delete, mike, etc) are gray, as in "grayed out". When you hit any of these keys they turn white. It's consistent IMO.

15. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Thanks for sharing. I will be one to repetitively support what was superior and bash everything that comes out after and does not up to the same standard :D

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It seems backwards to me. The letter keys are black when in their "default" state (which in their case is their only state), but caps lock is black when in its "toggled" state. It seems like it'll take me a while to get used to it.

On the other hand, the extra line when in "all caps" mode is an improvement.

17. atmc macrumors regular

I have to agree. I find it complicated to understand when caps lock is active or not. It should be instantaneous for the user to understand it, but I find myself thinking about that. It is not very consistent (depends on the point of view), which makes things confusing.

I also miss iOS 7 thin font, but that is just a little thing.

18. AlecEdworthy macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

The bolder keyboard is the only downside I've found to iOS 7.1 so far.

A

19. AppleUSA thread starter macrumors member

This and the lack of full screen contact pics on call. Otherwise it is awesome so far!

20. Crispy Duck macrumors regular

If only Apple did not have this current obsession with all the grey – they could use blue to highlight when the caps key is pressed.
    Blue Arrow for caps.
    Solid blue key - white arrow (with the underline) for Caps lock.

21. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

I agree that the new method for indicating that caps lock is on is confusing. All keys should be white until you activate them. Look at your regular keyboard at home. Is the shift key pressed in normally while the other keys are not?

22. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

The keyboard looked blurry to me...or maybe not as crisp. I realize this was a bump in the typeface weight. i don't like it...it was very easy to read before.

oh well, Apple does what Apple wants.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

The shift key coloring makes more sense on the darker keyboard (that comes up when you do a Spotlight search or need to enter your Apple ID password, for example).