7/13: Air, Imac, or PRO!??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TheLOGICalone, Jul 9, 2010.

1. TheLOGICalone macrumors regular

Apple has created a pattern of releasing a new product every month during the past 3 months on the tuesday closest to the middle of the month; MacBook, MacBook pro, mac mini... And obviously the air iMac and mac pro are all overdue for an update, how do you think it will go down???

2. Jayomat macrumors 6502a

Jayomat

obviously there is no air iMac... besides that, I don't understand your question^^^

3. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I don't know, but I'm getting so sick of waiting for this. Any Mac release now that comes before the Mac Pro really is adding insult to injury. :mad: Oh, and by the way, I personally think they will silently discontinue the Air and possibly come out later next year with an already suggested "ipad pro" version that runs more Mac style apps in some way.

4. TheLOGICalone thread starter macrumors regular

I'm really hoping for mac pro, just wanna see what others think...

5. TheLOGICalone thread starter macrumors regular

I agree 100%, if anything gets updated before mac pro there will be a small riot...

6. rajbonham macrumors 6502

Haha, I can't wait to hear the crying on here when nothing gets updated on Tuesday. I stopped stressing out every Tuesday, about a month ago. It wasn't worth the continual disappointment.

7. TheLOGICalone thread starter macrumors regular

So, you think there won't be any update of any kind on tuesday? It seems like apple is starting to systematically update everything, but maybe the pattern is just a coincidence, I'm just trying to hang on to any sliver of hope I can find, lol.

8. oilfighter macrumors regular

I'm going to ease everyone's eventual disappointment and say nothing will happen till September, when all the iPods get a refresh. So, brace yourself for more disappointment next Tuesday.

(I'm impatiently waiting for a Mac Pro too)

9. mwayne85 macrumors regular

Out of those three, the Mac Pro is the most out of date.

Last Mac Pro update: 3/2009
    Last Air update: 6/2009
    Last iMac update: 10/2009

It's been too damn long.

10. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

The only small hope that we have seen since those unfounded March rumors, is the fact that their are Mac pro capable new vid card drivers inside the new mac mini OS update. At least something is seemingly on the drawing board development wise. I mean why else even insert these driver profiles in there otherwise. Now the question is how long prior to release do these show up. It could still be months away. One thing Apple has shown is that they have little concern for how fast non apple technology updates move, especially with regard to video cards, so we really don't know. Still . . . . . . it's at least something . . .

11. TheLOGICalone thread starter macrumors regular

I'd love to see if a premature driver(s) has been buried in a previous release some time in the past and if so, how long it took for the primary computer it was associated with to be updated...

12. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

There's also the option that Apple won't update anything and there's at least a 50% chance of that if not more.

I'm less and less optimistic of any 2010 Mac Pro. It will only be four months from now that Sandy Bridge is announced with it likely shipping in Q1. Maybe this is what Apple is waiting for.

I think Apple will let the Air die because of the iPad. The next most likely update is the iMac.

13. TheLOGICalone thread starter macrumors regular

If they updated the iMac before pro I'd probably burst a blood vessel somewhere.

14. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

You do understand that the Sandy Bridge Mac Pro (if there even is one) won't come till 2012 right? Even if Sandy Bridge is released this fall, I wouldn't hold my breath on Apple till very late 2011. I can't imagine they don't take the 6 core chip jump soon. I imagine they have been waiting for significant numbers in the supply line of the xeon parts even if I have my suspicion otherwise. It may be as simple as clearing old stock, and I was thinking about why they wouldn't lower prices to clear some 2009 stock, and it occurred to me that if they did, the new MP's pricing would see so much higher than the current models that the average buyer may be put off in Apples mind. Anyway, who knows . . . .

15. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Don't get me started. :mad: Hasn't the imac already been updated once during this wait? It's been so long I can't remember.

16. iMacmatician macrumors 601

There was a time early in 2008 when there was a small update to some Apple product each week for about 4 weeks.

Those Sandy Bridge CPUs are mainstream chips, the server ones are coming in Q3 2011.

17. Ravich macrumors 6502a

I'll take a Mac Pro update or a pro addition to the iMac line. Either one will do. Please just let it not be the air.

18. TheLOGICalone thread starter macrumors regular

I just can't wait for a 3.33 6 core mac pro- it's a great combo of speed and cores, 6 memory slots would rule, more power for gpus 485/5xx, 5980/southern island in a mac pro and drivers to run them!, new cinema display... But I'm rambling again...

19. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Why do people keep insisting that last update was in the beginning of 2009? There has been a speed bump to 3.33GHz since then. It should count as an update.

20. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

If you say so. I guess apple shares this view, but we are talking a real platform update here, like from 2008 to 2009 style.

21. TheLOGICalone thread starter macrumors regular

I think we have been infiltrated by an iMac/mac book air user! Lol jk, but seriously how can that possibly count?

22. Ravich macrumors 6502a

I am guessing people dont count it because it only adds the option to upgrade for significant cost? Rather than upping the base specs.

23. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

By the way, I guess Moores law is officially dead? I mean hasn't 3.33 been about the top speed for 2-3 years now? I guess more cores, but even that is sloooow coming.

24. mwayne85 macrumors regular

If adding one more CPU option is considered the Mac Pro 2010 update, well that's pretty pathetic.

25. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I know the feeling :eek: