7.85 iPad Will be a game changer

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tortri, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Tortri, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

Sure there is the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 but the iPad 7.85(iPad Mini) I think will outsell the regular iPad and possibly the iPhone. Regardless of speculated specs, the iPad Mini will do so well because Apple has deals with Major Book Companies like McGraw Hill, etc. having a MAJOR foothold into education. Which means this iPad will be in practically a majority of schools in the US with in a 2 or 3 year span.

With a $250 iPad, its just cheap enough to afford, thin and small being durable(Gorilla glass), be portable but yet capable for normal reading(book replacement) and if apple reduces the thickness of the screen I wouldn't be surprised if they increased the battery life of the iPad mini to something like 15 hours(compromise slight weight gain for life) which makes it very feasible to replace a book.

Long battery life, affordable, thinness, durability, major book companies support, apple reliability. = Apple has a Winner

I'm coming from the fact that apple has major book company support and apple reliability. Those two together is the big bang and will change the tablet world into something else, star trek ish as in everyone owns one.. that is the standard.

Edit- With that said if Apple Add's NFC to the iPad Mini it'll also take off.

2. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

3. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

A 7.85" iPad will hurt 9.5" iPad sales. It's just a dumb move when Apple already owns the market

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You guys should keep in mind that it may not happen at all. I almost expect them to go larger once they can lose some weight. It's not really that they're heavy. They're just sometimes uncomfortable to hold in the way I'd hold a book, even a heavier book. I noticed this when reading on the ipad for an extended period of time.

5. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Blunt and to the point. Agreed.

6. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

I'm with this guy

7. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

lol do the 13" MBP do the same to the 15" Pros?? :eek:

8. gquiring macrumors regular

gquiring

It will hurt the 9.5" inch iPad market but it will also increase the market share where they loose sales to the Kindle and Nook. Apple needs more variety in their products, one size fits all does not work for everyone.

9. Rodster macrumors 68040

It's like having two Starbucks across the street from each other. I also think it's a dumb move and one that Steve probably would not have allowed. So basically the iPad Mini is competing against the iPad and nothing else. ;)

10. Twixt macrumors 6502

Is it better to have a client going for 7.85" rather than picking MSFT or GOOG?
    iPad's marketshare are just not sustainable with growing market (trend size maturity etc). Clients that come in now have less funding to buy top product on a systematic basis and AAPL perfectly got that.
    It is a good defensive move in my opinion

11. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Of course, variety was one of the major problems with 1990s Apple and Steve Jobs pushed very much for the one size fits all paradigm when he returned.

12. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Let me guess the 13" mbp hurts the 15" mbp, and the 15" mbp hurts the 17"m mbp amirite? :rolleyes: oh and i forgot the 11" mba hurts the 13" mba or matter fact all the mbp line! I'm sure it wont hurt much cuz millions of ppl like me will own both size!

Look at how millions of ppl own an ipad, and still go buy themself a kindle fire when it was hot. Now they are all moving to the nexus 7.

13. cdf3 macrumors newbie

The size of the current iPad is still great for browsing web pages and getting the best user experience from quite a few apps. I would much rather browse the web on the current iPad, in comparison to an iPad Mini. Especially while sitting at home using it extensively. I wouldn't have to do as much pinch-to-zooming and scrolling around webpages. The iPad Mini, on the other hand, would be great for taking it on the go. Especially for those that like to read eBooks, or those with small kids.
    The iPad Mini could pick up sales from those in the market for an eReader of some sort. $400-500 is a bit much for some, but $200-250 is manageable.
    If the iPad Mini came to surface, I think I'd get one to go along with my iPad.
    I can keep my iPad at home and use while at home, then use the iPad Mini to take with me while on the go. The iPad Mini is a nice to size to easily fit in my glove compartment, which can be locked.

14. Rodster macrumors 68040

Exactly my thoughts. I own a Kindle Fire and it's great for everything until you use it for the Web. Then the experience becomes frustrating and falls apart. :p

15. Tortri thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tortri

The key is convenience. Small enough to carry around, big enough to be relaxing to the eyes. Which would make sense why apple will never release a huge phone like the galaxy note, it's too big for a phone. But a smaller iPad would make a great assistant device. Convenience

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think it will be a game changer. That said, I do think it will be very popular and will certainly take lots of sales from the Nexus 7 & Kindle Fire.

17. gibbz macrumors 68030

Apple has been consistent in its message that it would rather device sales be slowed by their own products.

That said, I think there is truth in what you say. Which is why I am starting to think this will be marketed as a large iPod touch instead of a small iPad. My bet is that they don't want to dilute the iPad brand by a less capable device (many reports are of a non-retina screen, etc.)

18. mccoy015 macrumors member

Steve Jobs said it best. "If you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will."
    Looks like he doesn't agree with your logic.

19. RedCroissant Suspended

I think it would be great if they came out with a smaller iPad simply so that I could afford one for each of my kids. Plus, the smaller size would be easier for them to hold as well, would make road trips a bit easier, and then they're not all fighting over the same toy.

All I have to do now is get a suit jacket with a 7-inch breast pocket......

20. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I think I would go for a smaller iPad. I think there's a market for it that includes people who for one reason or another (cost or convenience) haven't taken the iPad plunge yet. Here's one example:

I don't own an iPad, but I've used the first two models quite a bit at work. For me, the iPad is really just a giant iPod Touch, just a touch too big for true portability in my situation. I prefer my Asus Transformer (because of the level of customisation and the ability to turn it into a laptop), but TBH since I got my MBA I don't need the Asus for general computing, and my Samsung Galaxy Note is big enough to read books on (I just finished Murakami's 1Q84 on it :p). It's even surprisingly good for simple note-taking at meetings (Evernote, so it syncs right back to my work PC and my Macs).

But a smaller iPad? I think I just might be tempted. I had a cheap 7" Asus tablet a couple years ago. All it was good for was reading and checking email, but boy was it ever the perfect size. Just a bit bigger than the Note, and not (like the iPad) too big to pull out if I'm standing on a packed subway on my way home from work.

With the devices and workflows I already have, would I need a small iPad? No. Would I be seriously tempted? Yes. :eek:

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

$250 is not going to happen, $299 if you're lucky.

It can't be a game changer because the game already has 7" tablets.

22. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

It think it's more like having a Starbucks across the street from a Tim Hortons. It fills in a gap in their product line. I would see the iPad Mini competing more against other 7" tablets than the iPad. It would take some customers away from the iPad, but 7" tablets are already doing that. Why not take some back?

By the way, there used to be two Starbucks across the street from each other in Vancouver. One of them closed down recently.

23. poloponies macrumors 68030

No they're not. There are not millions of buyers out there who were prepared to buy an iPad but went to the 7" instead. Those are people who were not potential iPad customers but were willing to pop for a $200 device. Big difference. Apple stands a real chance of losing actual iPad customers if it makes a smaller device - which will never in a million years sell for $249-$299.

24. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

You guys know nothing about market segmentation. Yes, it will steal some 9.7 sales but overall they will sell more units with two options vs. one.

25. nishishei macrumors regular

There's no way this thing will be $250 while the 10" iPad is $500. It's not half the product of a 10".

Apple is a genius at putting us in a pricing/feature dilemma over which model to get for the past decade. There's always a significant trade off for a cheaper model. I'm pretty sure the iPad Mini will do the same.